Why The Cavaliers Won

Announcer to crowd at Camp Randall: "all of you that know the story of Faust, please stand up." (Regiment staff rises in unison) Announcer: "Thank you very much, you may be seated. All of you that know what a machine is, please stand up." (The entire crowd, including the Regiment staff, and the people selling souvies, rises). See, it wasn't that complicated.

BTW, this was a joke, with just a hint of truth. The shear simplicity of the Cavies production made it a winner with the average "Joe Six Pack" fans in the stands. The Regiment, on the other hand, while producing a great show, actually has to do more to draw the average fan in.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just recognize the genious of thought behind the Cavaliers production, beyond even even the actual execution of the program.

Too many corps go for "meaning of life" productions that, often, do not connect. They make up words and complex "themes' that now require the viewer to try and figure out how the product portrays the theme, and in most cases, we just don't get it.

Why can't you just tell me what you're playing, and leave it at that?

Entertain me, don't (try to) educate me.

ampssuck

RM - stupid is as stupid does.

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they won cuz they're just hott....and the show was amazing..

black dude doing the robot..priceless.... :tic::wub::wub:

Edited by EmpireS-MenCym4eva

I didn't see Regiment trying to "educate," I saw them taking a show and performing the #### out of it, just like Cavaliers did. I'm very glad they didn't try to dumb it down; I believe the biggest mistake our culture has made artistically is to believe that the average person isn't capable of understanding art. Most people do understand it, they just may not always like it, and in my and a lot of others' opinions, Regiment put on an amazing performance, as we hoped they would.

BTW, this was a joke, with just a hint of truth. The shear simplicity of the Cavies production made it a winner with the average "Joe Six Pack" fans in the stands. The Regiment, on the other hand, while producing a great show, actually has to do more to draw the average fan in.

Ok, not a bad point at all, and very true about the Cavaliers, but do remember that it was Phantom Regiment that received the loudest and most enthusiastic crowd response in Madison, not the Cavaliers or BD, etc. Maybe Phantom had to do more to draw them in, but they did manage to do it. They managed to pull more crowd response out of a very sophisticated show with a difficult theme better than the Cavaliers did with a simple theme. And mind you, both corps did this well, and both were sensational shows, but Phantom was the crowd favorite. So while they did not win, they were close, and they connected with those "joe six-pack" fans, as you put it, much better than anyone else.

Someone should have told the Cavies' guard that machines don't friggin' smile, either.

Entertain me, don't (try to) educate me.

ampssuck

RM - stupid is as stupid does.

ampssuck

Make GREAT music, perform well so I can respect you in the morning...that would be my musician/drum corps vet/teacher take on shows. I WANT to be musically and intellictually stimulated, not sit there and drool while watching the obvious....

Make GREAT music, perform well so I can respect you in the morning...that would be my musician/drum corps vet/teacher take on shows. I WANT to be musically and intellictually stimulated, not sit there and drool while watching the obvious....

:tic:

Ok, not a bad point at all, and very true about the Cavaliers, but do remember that it was Phantom Regiment that received the loudest and most enthusiastic crowd response in Madison, not the Cavaliers or BD, etc. Maybe Phantom had to do more to draw them in, but they did manage to do it. They managed to pull more crowd response out of a very sophisticated show with a difficult theme better than the Cavaliers did with a simple theme....

I think the phrase you're looking for JW is "imho"... :P

Where I was sitting on the 30 in the upper deck, the noise level was about the same for both corps. Without polling the audience, hard to tell who was "crowd favorite." I didn't notice any booing when PR was announced as being second.

In terms of the 'simple' vs 'not simple', the professional producer in me blanched at how simplified PR's approach to the Faust legend was. Rather than being a complex story of a series of moral and intellectual quandaries - the questions that keep this story alive century after century through literally hundreds of incarnations - it was a story about a guy who thought he made a bad decision to deal with the devil because he couldn't see his girlfriend anymore. Not exactly a PhD thesis on a football field.

I liked PR this year, in spite of the 'more than they could chew' aspects of their show. But in terms of thoroughness of thought when it came to program design, Rosemont was the class of the field (imho, of course). The show didn't attempt to make connections to anything outside of itself, it simply was what it was, which displayed a high level of integrity (in the root sense) and confidence - which serves to take the show out of the realm of the simple, imho. It was presentational, rather than representational, and like most good presentationalism, the joy was in looking for the patterns within the piece itself. They're both valid approaches to art, though in drum corps (again, imho), presentationalism wins hands down every time.

Edited by mobrien

Thankfully I could catch the shows on ESPN2 - I thought BOTH corps were great at what they did.

What worries ME, as an old school/pre-DCI drum corps type, is that DCI has managed to reduce the number of competitive drum corps in the USA to a mere handful, and that each year, we're looking at Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, SCV, sometimes Madison, Bluecoats, Crown, Boston Crusaders, and instead of dynasties that "the few and the proud" members of these great drum corps are and should be, there aren't other corps available in the country that could/should/would be competitive enough to make the finals.

This is not to take anything away from these great corps - they all are great and I congratulate all members and staff - but seems to me that there just aren't enough competitive drum corps nationwide to provide the "competition" needed to make drum corps "competitive" as I used to understand competitiveness.

Does this make any sense?