Drum corps in Hollywood

I've been thinking about this... DCI finals will be in Southern California in 2007, that's the entertainment capital of the world. There are tons of TV shows that tape there, including lots of talk shows (Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel, and The View?) These shows often have a musical act or some sort of performing artist on their show, particularly when they have something to promote (album, tour, etc.)

Anyone know if DCI is trying to get any extra exposure during finals week next year, seeing as they'll be having their championships in a major media hub??

I've been thinking about this... DCI finals will be in Southern California in 2007, that's the entertainment capital of the world. There are tons of TV shows that tape there, including lots of talk shows (Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel, and The View?) These shows often have a musical act or some sort of performing artist on their show, particularly when they have something to promote (album, tour, etc.)

Anyone know if DCI is trying to get any extra exposure during finals week next year, seeing as they'll be having their championships in a major media hub??

I don't think that there will be any extra exposure.

What I have been wondering is, if the activity is trying to appeal to a larger audience or get more coverage, then:

[stock disclaimer: if this topic has been hashed and rehashed and re-rehashed, then please help me out and post the link the re-re-rehashed repost re-topic and I will shut the hole of pie.]

As ABC/ESPN(2)/DISNEY are now in cahoots with Apple, why doesn't DCI push towards getting the Finals Broadcast/DVD segmented and distributed through iTunes? As it is, TV Shows are pricing anywhere from free (demo) to 2.99 per episode, and Movies (per iTunes 7 released last week) are available to be downloaded anywhere from 9.99 to 14.99. Say they make a deal to have each corps' audio performance priced to scale (or sold as an entire album), and the same for Digital Video Downloads.

Audio and Video-philes will still buy the CD or DVD, but if it's exposure that's the concern, why not go with the gadget/software that currently has the larger Market Share that is going to send e-mails to inboxes and have ads on iTunes Store Homepages.

Does the agreement with Microsoft/APD preclude DCI from doing this? Yah yah, I know there's agreements and proposals that have to be drawn up, but let's make it happen, people.

:)

Or schedule Regiment to play on Kimmel and have everyone leave the studio with Tinnitis. :worthy:

Funny this should come up. After seeing the 100th commercial with a college band I'm wondering what Drum corps has to do to get more exposure. You always seeing "black" college band types on TV but never Drum corp style bands.

Maybe it shows who the regular TV audience finds more entertaining.

True, but whenever they do use a drum corps for a commercial or tv spot, they always "band-ize" the corps i.e having them use trumets and tubas... oops, I mean giving them a flute (as they did with the Guardsmen's KFC commercial). Don't forget when the Cavaliers Band played some school song on Oprah.

Funny this should come up. After seeing the 100th commercial with a college band I'm wondering what Drum corps has to do to get more exposure. You always seeing "black" college band types on TV but never Drum corp style bands.

Maybe it shows who the regular TV audience finds more entertaining.

Last night the corps-style Bergenfield HS band from NJ was on Extreme Makeover

...though since the house was in Bergenfield that may have had something to do with it! :)

Last night the corps-style Bergenfield HS band from NJ was on Extreme Makeover

...though since the house was in Bergenfield that may have had something to do with it! :)

They really had a great sound. Very solid.