Member corps

The east had a 2 show rule. When non-eastern corps started doing two shows, DCA made a 4 show rule. Thats what I call not playing.

actually i think of it as encouraging more participation ~ which led to the creation of the various circuits. i.e. DCA South, DCA Midwest. by more participation who wins? IMO the fans.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i think of it as encouraging more participation ~ which led to the creation of the various circuits. i.e. DCA South, DCA Midwest. by more participation who wins? IMO the fans.

We all have our perspective. What will tell the truth is how much DCA and the eastern corps support these circuits or the amount of stone walling that happens. I want Drum Corps to win. I've had it in my blood for over 40 years. It is the time when the east can become the center of the new expansion. I do believe that the expansion could also move away from the east. Lets all work together to make all age the growing power in the drum corps world! We must have the experiance. the finances, the intelligence to get everyone moving in the same direction. It would be a powerful force!

If you build one that has the most good corps, They will come.

Easier said than done. The majority fan base is well-established in the northeast, and I have seen no reason for that to change for many years to come, despite the fantastic rsie of out-of-region corps.

We all have our perspective. What will tell the truth is how much DCA and the eastern corps support these circuits or the amount of stone walling that happens. I want Drum Corps to win. I've had it in my blood for over 40 years. It is the time when the east can become the center of the new expansion. I do believe that the expansion could also move away from the east. Lets all work together to make all age the growing power in the drum corps world! We must have the experiance. the finances, the intelligence to get everyone moving in the same direction. It would be a powerful force!

In 2005 three northeast corps and one west coast corps made the trek to Winston-Salem, a DCS show. This was a far more collossal undertaking than most people realize.

In order for the northeast corps to travel, there has to be at least partial financial renumeration in place, and an audience to play for. Some people may not like that, but it is the reality of things.

I was talking about the perks for Associate and Affiliate Corps. Not "Member" Corps. Of course it's about voting rights for them. But for everyone else it's all about when you go on at shows.

In order for the northeast corps to travel, there has to be at least partial financial renumeration in place, and an audience to play for. Some people may not like that, but it is the reality of things.

It is absolutely NO different for any of the "Out-of-Region" Corps. It can actually cost significantly more for some of the Southern Corps to travel to the current venues than for ANY Northeastern Corps. And most of the Northeastern Corps have a broader support system (i.e. Bingo, Lotto, AL, VFW, etc.) than is available for most of the Southern Corps.

Edited by MCL_Contra

It can actually cost significantly more for some of the Southern Corps to travel to the current venues than for ANY Northeastern Corps.

How can you really be "WORLD" champion when you never leave your back yard? :)

How can you really be "WORLD" champion when you never leave your back yard? :)

See 2005.

Though I would love to see a southern super-regional in 2007, and muscles the northern corps to make the trip. But this can happen only IF a southern city can ensure a crowd, and create a show similar in nature to most nothern shows, i.e. payouts, large audiences, etc.

Housing is also a very major consideration. Even in the norhteast it's becomeing harder and harder to find somewhere to house a corps.

Edited by Kamarag

It is absolutely NO different for any of the "Out-of-Region" Corps. It can actually cost significantly more for some of the Southern Corps to travel to the current venues than for ANY Northeastern Corps. And most of the Northeastern Corps have a broader support system (i.e. Bingo, Lotto, AL, VFW, etc.) than is available for most of the Southern Corps.

Well, then you're between a rock and a hard place. Some southern corps choose to compete in the north, due to finalcial considerations as well as travel considerations.

Sure, it takes time to build a circuit, but you can't fault the corps that want to be competitive now.

Edited by Kamarag

The fact that Two (2) of the 2006 elligible top 14 Drum Corps will not receive the right to vote in the upcoming annual DCA membership meeting based on not participating in atleast Four (4) DCA sanctioned shows is a problem. This problem is being addressed by working toward more DCA snactioned contests outside of the Northeast circuit. If the Kilties and Frontier Drum Corps were considered full DCA members, then DCA would have had a 50-50 split of voting members being from the Northeast and from outside the Northeast. The future expansion of DCA Drum Corps will eventually lead to the potential majority of voting Drum Corps coming from outside the Northeast for the first time in DCA's history.

It has been discussed, in previous posts over time, that having judges from outside of the DCA Northeast region at either Pre-Lims or Finals is not possible due to financial and other scheduling issues. However, the financial and logistical hardship of having entire DCA Drum Corps being required to travel extended distances for a single contest does not seem to bother the DCA Northeast Drum Corps or voting members. It is also interesting that not a single Northeast DCA Drum Corps attended any of the DCA sanctioned shows outside of the Northeast in 2006. If DCA is interested in expanding and strenghtening the overall activity, it would seem that the full Northeast members are not even interested in making any attempt at expanding their performance area and presence to DCA fans. Financial whining, from the Northeast Drum Corps, will be met with deaf ears from the ever expanding non-Northeast DCA Drum Corps if and when the voting majority becomes comprised of non-Northeast members.

Imagine the day in which the DCA Championships are held on an actual regulation football field that is located in a concentrically appropriate location (I.E. Non-Northeast). If the financial payout in DCA is tied to participation in DCA sanctioned contests, and no consideration is given to the financial hardship placed on Non-Northeast Drum Corps in qualifying for the above mentioned payout criteria, then it seems only appropriate that the Northeast DCA Drum Corps should share in the financial expense by being required to travel just like all the Non-Northeast Drum Corps are currently.

wasn't the MD show hosted by a DCAS corps?

if so, what...Sun, Sky and Hurcs went?

look, i have said it all along, and history is proving me right...the NE corps are being cuatious and not breaking the bank. they will get there, and DCA will grow. to try and force overnight change is only going to blow up and make things worse, not better. instead of blasting the NE corps for not doing it, go out of your way to make them welcome to come and check it out.

you will make more friends this way