Member corps

If you build one that has the most good corps, They will come.

exactly...build it! i'd love to see it hapopen, but right now, it isn't built. at best, the foundation has been dug

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i think of it as encouraging more participation ~ which led to the creation of the various circuits. i.e. DCA South, DCA Midwest. by more participation who wins? IMO the fans.

:grouphug:

It is absolutely NO different for any of the "Out-of-Region" Corps. It can actually cost significantly more for some of the Southern Corps to travel to the current venues than for ANY Northeastern Corps. And most of the Northeastern Corps have a broader support system (i.e. Bingo, Lotto, AL, VFW, etc.) than is available for most of the Southern Corps.

you'd be surprised how many Don't have the things in place you say they do

Yeah... by that huge writing staff....... me. B)

It usually works like this. I write an idea down at home.... then show it to our two kitty-cats. If the cats don't yawn or get up and walk away, then it's good to go. :P

Fran

Come to my house, Fran.....with 17 cats, you'll get a better statistical read....

WOw... this really turned into an "EAST vs. Usotherpoorfools" scenario.

I will say that I'm happy this is staying somewhat civil. For those of us outside the Eastern region ..... we have our work cut out for us. For those in the East, thanks for giving us the opportunity to run our own house. I know it takes much of the burder off of our East Coast bretheren, however, everyone is making valid points. I'm sure the non-Eastern corps would love to see more reaching out and support at the shows we are hosting. I'm sure the Eastern corps and DCA wants to see us all succeed. If we don't ....... well...... we don't. Those are the facts.

Sure there are rules/guidelines that are difficult for us to achieve. Most of the non-Eastern corps are at very different levels of stability at this point of the early stages of our new circuits. My best suggestions is ...... we all need to keep our own house in order. That's all the East Coast corps are doing. That's all we should expect of ourselves. If each individual corps does everything they can to stay financially healthy, as well as, continue to push performance levels.... all of the aforementioned arguments will be m00t.

I think a thread I would like to see started would be ......... "THIS IS HOW OUR CORPS MAKES MONEY" ........ so we can all learn from each other and continue to grow. Maybe we can even pass that info on to folks that are considering starting new corps. If we can work together on this now, we can grow exponential in the years to come with little difficulty. All the talk about fan base...... it still cracks me up. Drum corps fans are DRUM CORPS FANS. They are everywhere. It's all in the advertising and getting the word out. If you host it...... and advertise it ...... and push it ...... it will succeed!

One other suggestion. It might look better to the outside world (and the inside world) if there were a DCA-East. That way it would no longer be implied that DCA = East.

Look, ma!

For once I didn't start this one!

10k+ and 21 hours to anywhere. That's our motto. And as long as that's what it takes to play in the yard of the kid that has the best toys, then that's what it'll take.

I *do* wonder sometimes about the sheer expanse of equipment, trucks, scooters, support staff, et. al. that some of our friends around the circuit have.

How much of that could we have if we weren't spending 10k per trip JUST for buses?

(yeah, I have semi envy) :)

I *do* wonder sometimes about the sheer expanse of equipment, trucks, scooters, support staff, et. al. that some of our friends around the circuit have.

(yeah, I have semi envy) :)

Not everyone has all of those things, though I suspect most corps have at least some kind of support staff structure in place (this is one area where the Buccaneers excel). Those folks are all vounteers in any corps.

Edited by Kamarag

actually i think of it as encouraging more participation ~ which led to the creation of the various circuits. i.e. DCA South, DCA Midwest. by more participation who wins? IMO the fans.

Changing the requirement from 2 to 4 DCA shows didnt encourage particiaption. If you were already good enough to make finals then you did your one DCA show at the Championships. Its those who are on the bubble like Kilties and MCL that have to scramble to get in DCA shows so they can get some sort of seat at the table. Non eastern corps were always participating, except they were participating in their own geographical areas The individual circuits were created so they didnt have go broke trying to travel to eastern DCA shows to fulfill the 4 DCA show rule. What I would love to see is a requirement that every corps must do at least one show out of their area. Kilties came out east twice in the past two years. Those are very expensive trips, and that says nothing about Cali or southern corps.

I said the same thing about DCI, I dont think making being a finalist should be automatic criteria of getting to decide what direction the organiztion should take. I think you should pay your dues and get a seat. Right now DCA is an eastern thing and they will resist changes that are not in their self interest no matter how much they help the activity to grow.

I said the same thing about DCI, I dont think making being a finalist should be automatic criteria of getting to decide what direction the organiztion should take. I think you should pay your dues and get a seat. Right now DCA is an eastern thing and they will resist changes that are not in their self interest no matter how much they help the activity to grow.

That's just rediculous.

1) You totally contradict yourself. You want a seat at the table, but you don't like the fact that you have to pay the dues...you want the eastern corps do to it for you.

2) If the Northeastern corps weren't interested in DCA's growth, they wouldn't have created seeding exceptions. They wouldn't travel out of area two years running (Winston-Salem, NC and Arnold, MD). Heck, they could have voted to raise the show participation requirement to five or six if "screwing the outsiders" was the aim.

The point is that you need to learn the rules of the game and play by them, not change the game to something that benifits you. In all honesty, the Northeast corps have beent over backwards trying to help the non-area corps...sometimes to thier own detriment.

What I would love to see is a requirement that every corps must do at least one show out of their area.

Agreed