Member corps

umm.. basing membership to any affiliation based on a 'score' is kinda lame.

well, DCI does it the same way...not all 23 open class corps get votes. what would you suggest?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, DCI does it the same way...not all 23 open class corps get votes. what would you suggest?

I think that policy has been detrimental to drum corps at the junior level. What does winning or being in the top echelon have to do with whether you know whats in the best longterm interests of the acitivty? They are two separate and distinct issues.

i think it works for D1. does it help all drum corps? nope. but the model has worked for d1.

plus if you have "members" who dont even attend, how fair is that?

congratulations Spandy... you got it right... :) I know it's complex but thought my explanation was clear...

I'm a little puzzled by the complaints that the method for attaining membership isn't fair??? Since those complaints seemed to come from outside the Northeast, how do you guys feel when the corps who compete in 8 to 12 shows over the summer weekends complain that they should be in charge of everything since they contributed much more to the total season...

I believe the current system is fair to all and involves a very respectable compromise that encourages growth and gives opportunity for corps outside the "original" DCA area to become voting members.. obviously - it worked... with 5 out of 12 voting members from outside the area...

And remember... everyone shares financially based on the number of sanctioned DCA shows they competed in... no matter whether they are voting members or not... for example... based on score, Sunrisers are only an affiliate member for 2007 but will/did receive quite a bit more money than many of the corps - because of the number of contests they had...

Let me try rephrasing the membership rule for simplicity:

1. The top 10 highest scoring corps in prelims are voting members for the following year

2. The next 4 highest scoring corps have the opportunity to be voting members IF they have competed in 4 sanctioned regular season shows. This year, only Crusaders and Music City Legend had 4 or more shows in that group consequently there are 12 voting members. Therefore, in any given year, voting membership can fluctuate between 10 minimum and 14 maximum.

3. The highest scoring 4 corps NOT attaining voting membership become the associate members

4. All corps competing in sanctioned contests and paying their $100 membership fee are affiliate members

that better?

As for the benefits of membership... voting members determine the rules, location of championship and elect officers... There are a few other membership perks...

for instance, in all contests including prelims... non-affiliates go on before affiliates and affiliate corps must appear before associate corps and associate corps must appear before voting members.

Are there also Memebrs which are Lifetime Charter Members such as the Skyliners? I had heard this but I am not sure how true it is.

congratulations Spandy... you got it right... :) I know it's complex but thought my explanation was clear...

I'm a little puzzled by the complaints that the method for attaining membership isn't fair??? Since those complaints seemed to come from outside the Northeast, how do you guys feel when the corps who compete in 8 to 12 shows over the summer weekends complain that they should be in charge of everything since they contributed much more to the total season...

I believe the current system is fair to all and involves a very respectable compromise that encourages growth and gives opportunity for corps outside the "original" DCA area to become voting members.. obviously - it worked... with 5 out of 12 voting members from outside the area...

And remember... everyone shares financially based on the number of sanctioned DCA shows they competed in... no matter whether they are voting members or not... for example... based on score, Sunrisers are only an affiliate member for 2007 but will/did receive quite a bit more money than many of the corps - because of the number of contests they had...

Let me try rephrasing the membership rule for simplicity:

1. The top 10 highest scoring corps in prelims are voting members for the following year

2. The next 4 highest scoring corps have the opportunity to be voting members IF they have competed in 4 sanctioned regular season shows. This year, only Crusaders and Music City Legend had 4 or more shows in that group consequently there are 12 voting members. Therefore, in any given year, voting membership can fluctuate between 10 minimum and 14 maximum.

3. The highest scoring 4 corps NOT attaining voting membership become the associate members

4. All corps competing in sanctioned contests and paying their $100 membership fee are affiliate members

that better?

As for the benefits of membership... voting members determine the rules, location of championship and elect officers... There are a few other membership perks...

for instance, in all contests including prelims... non-affiliates go on before affiliates and affiliate corps must appear before associate corps and associate corps must appear before voting members.

What is the difference between associate members and affiliates?
Well, based on Tom's description, the affiliates are those who did not place in the top 10, or the four after that, unless they did less than 4 shows, or the four after that, who would be associates unless THEY did less than four shows, who competed and paid their dues...wait, my head hurts now.

I'm sorry I didn't clearly state my question. I wasn't asking how are you awarded the status, I was asking what the difference is? If you aren't a voting member, what privileges do you get as an associate that you don't get as an affiliate?

I'm sorry I didn't clearly state my question. I wasn't asking how are you awarded the status, I was asking what the difference is? If you aren't a voting member, what privileges do you get as an associate that you don't get as an affiliate?

Oh! Sorry. Tom perhaps can answer that. I think one of the benefits of both is that you are listed on the DCA site as a DCA corps.

Wait till you have to learn the secret handshake and the instructions for the secret decoder ring :P :P :P :P

So true, my friend, but let the secret finally be reveiled...........this information can be obtained ONLY by dunking the center of an OREO cookie in a can of Labatt's on Christmas Eve during Midnight Mass. ( I got the Ring..... b**bs

Edited by melligene