San Antonio Crossmen

But was it a BETTER choice?

What was the BEST choice for the group? We can't even pretend to know.

it may have bee, it seems however that the choice was up to one person and no other ears were allowed to hear.

and while i am on it, since everyone says all these Texas kids will come a runnin....

if you have all these top 10 DCI corps having camps and TX and #15 comes to town......will the fact that they are local be enough to draw kids like mad, or, as we have seen, the rich just keep getting richer and Crossmen are seen as damaged goods?

I dont see the other corps having Texas camps being hurt by this at all. I see it being hard for a corps with no local established identity and a recent rep for less than comeptitive success drawing.

up here, you KNEW the Crossmen. you KNEW people who marched there. you were tauhgt by people who marched there. I havent been to a band show in 18 years that I haven't seen at least 2 Crossmen jackets at.

the brand was established. like YEA or not, have the idea in your head that they were YEA's B team or not, you knew them.

to kids in texas, they are a corps not on the dvd's for 2 years and not on this year's cd's.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask again. Can you know it was a better choice?

it had a lot of alumni excited about it.

I dont know exact years, but still whats your point?

Texas

Legend of Texas from Lubbock, TX

Lone Star from Commerce, TX

Night Hawks from Houston, TX

Sky Ryders from Desoto, TX; Hutchinson, KS

Trinity from Seguin, TX

Last time I checked, Trinity is working on their finances. As far as I know, they are planning on marching next year.

Random question -

Did the new management team release any formal introductions of themselves or what their intentions are to the vets and the Alumni association? It just seems to me that extending an olive branch of sorts to the most affected parties would ease the transition and get more people on board. A little shady if they haven't...

Random question -

Did the new management team release any formal introductions of themselves or what their intentions are to the vets and the Alumni association? It just seems to me that extending an olive branch of sorts to the most affected parties would ease the transition and get more people on board. A little shady if they haven't...

No.

Here's a question: Other than the statement in YEA's announcement that auditions will be held at RR, do we have any other indication that Bones will be using RR resources? NEISD is NOTORIOUSLY stingy (and pricey) when it comes to their facilities.

Oh, and regarding all the sponsors listed on RR's band truck? They might be national companies (Wal-Mart, Wachovia, etc) but they are local sponsorships. They could be anything ranging from gift cards to low-cost banking to price breaks. I wouldn't start salivating about corporate sponsorships just yet.

Look, like I've said all along, I think this move can work. But come on fellow Texans...we KNOW what it's like to run a drum corps down here. We KNOW what a LOT of HS band directors think of us. We KNOW what a certain superintendant in SA thinks of us..specifically one of the classiest corps around. This is a hard nut to crack. More power to Mr. Chambers and the RR folks if they can. I'm rooting for them...

Let us wait and see and for god sajes...lets give it a chance. I am sure that with the talent pool that they can pull from (Houston, SA, Austin, etc.) within driving distance...I am very sure that they can be very successfull. It may take a year or two...but from what I have heard about this director, they will be fine. I am sure that the Midwestern, Western & eastern corps are not taking every talented kid to join their corps, so the talent pool will be filled with very talented individuals. I know if I was 19 again and I lived in SA, or Austin, or Houston, or even DFW (as well as Oklahoma) this would be a blessing for me as I would not have to spend thousands of dollars on traveling to camps. No to mention that being in a "fair weather" city they will be able to have the show on the field and cleaning earliler than before. I am sure that the alums, current vets and long time volunteers of the XMEN are feeling abandoned right now...and you probably should be....but this may have been a business decision that, people that know more than we fans do, had to be made. I am sure that the same was felt by alums and volunteers when Spirit left Atlanta, but they (mind you different circumstances) have turned out quite well...I feel the same will be true with XMEN.

As for their YEA! history...lets not for get since '96 they have placed as high as 6th ('97) and not out of the top 10 from '96 thru '03. So it wasnt ll bad with YEA!...I am not privy what has happened on the design/instructional staff side in the past 4 years but it has been dissapointing what has happened to them.

GO BONES...I know this will work out

No to mention that being in a "fair weather" city they will be able to have the show on the field and cleaning earliler than before.

I am glad that the words "fair weather" are in quotes......it has finally mellowed down temperature wise here in Texas in the last week or two. In 2005 during all days (revolution) we would break a sweat just walking to the fields for stretch and run at 8 in the morning. There would be all these clouds and then by the time the run was over, clear sky. The corps would literally stop if a cloud came over us and we would all look up in amazement like it was a gift from God.

No rain though that summer until the last week of all days and better weather opportunities to run visual block outside during "winter" camps.

The Ronald Reagan marching band is my personal favorite marching band of all time. The 2002, 2003, and 2005 shows are masterpieces. DCI-quality in terms of design.

you can say that again, this is one of many reasons why im excited and going to camp, they put out some shows that are plain amazing, musical AND visual wise. something not all corps have. i cant wait to see what program they choose for bones.