Is this the end of Revolution?

And I HATE that kind of bull #### thinking on the part of egotistical, short sighted, selfish ### band directors. Why would someone want to LIMIT a kid from being all he/she can be? Is it IMPOSSIBLE to be flexible and try to work things out so a kid can do both? My gosh that really chaps my hide. I fully agree the TOP priority should be high school music and most corps' recognize that, so why can't it work THE OTHER WAY from the director of the band to the corps kid.

Sorry...got me all ruffled...and I thought the only jerk directors were out here in southern California. Apparently the disease is spreading.

Basically you had two camps with this.

First, you had the camp of directors who felt threatened that their students might learn something in their time with drum corps.

Second, you have band directors that were burned by drum corps. Some directors had very bad experiences with certain drum corps and that colored their perception of drum corps. My boss at my last school was with this. You also have directors who would have kids go off to DCI and come back coping an attitude like they were holier than thou.

I remember from Lone Star having the opportunity to educate other band directors about drum corps. It really opened up the eyes of a lot of them and changed their conceptions of what drum corps was. We also spent a lot of time teaching the kids how to behave when they returned from the summer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I HATE that kind of bull #### thinking on the part of egotistical, short sighted, selfish ### band directors. Why would someone want to LIMIT a kid from being all he/she can be? Is it IMPOSSIBLE to be flexible and try to work things out so a kid can do both? My gosh that really chaps my hide. I fully agree the TOP priority should be high school music and most corps' recognize that, so why can't it work THE OTHER WAY from the director of the band to the corps kid.

Sorry...got me all ruffled...and I thought the only jerk directors were out here in southern California. Apparently the disease is spreading.

Whoa.....save your blood pressure mate. Trust me, I've been through this before. Some band directors are #1 and others are #10K. The ones at the bottom end of the spectrum are usually the ones who's bands couldn't find their way down the street, and are extremely jealous of Drum Corps because our kids can actually find a snowball in a blizzard. In short, they have an inferiority complex and try to mask it by blaming Drum Corps. The ones at the top end are "locked in" and "in the know".

For Evan--I know what your intent is behind what you're saying, but I just want to split hairs a little, because...well...because that's what DCP is for. Splittin' hairs. And spittin'.

That's OK, Ryan. I'm all for splitting hairs. Especailly if it makes me look uninformed! :) The bad thing is, there IS no San Antonio "area", or metro, like there is in SoCal. There's just SA. Granted, Austin is 90 miles up the road and will (and does) attract members, but it's still not in the immediate area. Splitting hairs. :) But I agree with you, the population numbers would indicate no problems for 2-3-4 corps in the area. After all, we're the 8th largest city in the nation (if you don't look at metro area numbers); how many of you knew THAT?! LOL I sincerely hope TX can handle that many corps or more...since I have a vested interest. :)

But I highly doubt that Crossmen moving to SA will hurt Revo. As a matter of fact, and I'll probably be nailed on this, but this may hurt XMen more than it will Revo. I really admire Revo a great deal, and had the good fortune to shake hands with Mr. Kuzma in Madison and babble to him about how great I thought Revo was. If there's a group that could go Division 1, I think Revo could do it with the right leadership in place. And personally--I sort of like the idea of an in-city rivarly. So let Revo and Crossmen be instant rivals...what the heck? This is competition. Duke it out.

I agree with you on this. Revo CAN do it with the right leadership. Unfortunately, GM Kuzma is no longer with the organization. Sure, they can find someone to fill his shoes and I'm crossing my fingers that they do. I have deep roots with Revo and I would rather die than see them go under.

I'm a capitalist at heart, so I believe competition is a great motivator. I say bring it on. B)

three little letters.... B-O-A....you think it's bad in TX, the IL band directors that are as I call them "BOA heavy" schools think you are trying to steal their kids...they wouldn't even spread the word to their graduating seniors who would not have to miss a single day of summer workouts or band camp (most band camps seem to be DCI finals week or the week before, and a lot of them have many rehearsals before Aug)

I seriously doubt Revolution has any interest in being a feeder corps. Having said that, all the corps in Texas have been working hard to forge a circuit down here. Having another corps will help immensely, I just hope that Crossmen are willing to cooperate in that effort.

Willing to cooperate? I am afraind I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

three little letters.... B-O-A....you think it's bad in TX, the IL band directors that are as I call them "BOA heavy" schools think you are trying to steal their kids...they wouldn't even spread the word to their graduating seniors who would not have to miss a single day of summer workouts or band camp (most band camps seem to be DCI finals week or the week before, and a lot of them have many rehearsals before Aug)

Wow! I thought that I saw it all, but I never had to deal with that type of nonsense before. Sounds like a bunch of insecure directors who are afraid of losing their jobs when people see a non-affiliated corps blow their bandos off the turf. That I HAVE seen before.

If Kids want to march Revo they will. MOST kids that get cut by a D1 corps don't go to a D3 or D2 corps unless the REALLY want to march and look at marching in a smaller corps as a way to get better for next year.

If the "NEW" Crossmen want to extend a hand and partner up with REVO and share info/kids, then that would be great.

Wow! I thought that I saw it all, but I never had to deal with that type of nonsense before. Sounds like a bunch of insecure directors who are afraid of losing their jobs when people see a non-affiliated corps blow their bandos off the turf. That I HAVE seen before.

well they aren't necessarily worried about their jobs, but they are worried about losing kids....since the seasons overlap, they want to make sure the kids aren't distracted by anything else like drum corps. they want the focus to be completely the high school band.

well they aren't necessarily worried about their jobs, but they are worried about losing kids....since the seasons overlap, they want to make sure the kids aren't distracted by anything else like drum corps. they want the focus to be completely the high school band.

That was my band director back in high school... sigh :(

And I quote, "If you do drum corps, you're not in MY band." :worthy:

That was my band director back in high school... sigh :(

And I quote, "If you do drum corps, you're not in MY band." :worthy:

Mine said the same thing, and we didn't compete in BOA. At the time we were UIL (Texas run organization) Champions in 5-A (largest class)......there was NO way he was letting me out of summer band to do corps.