New Column - Inside the Arc

JohnD

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(If one attends college recitals of this music there are often vast oceans of empty seats.

Clearly he has never attended a North Texas Wind Symphony concert.

I kind of take issue with this. I don't like my vocation (composition) being summarily dismissed as simply me writing exercises to teach students to play their instruments correctly.

He may have Grammys, but that doesn't make his comments about that which he does not like any less insulting for both the people who write contemporary wind music, and those who happen to like it.

The more I think about the tremendously oversimplified comparison between pieces that he doesn't like and watching somebody work out advanced mathematics, the more I can't get another comparison out of my mind. I'd make an equally simplistic comparison between hearing a lot of the "hummable" same old, samed old stuff and watching somebody work out 1+2 on the board.

So, basically what I just took away from that article is that I wasted my time majoring in composition because we shouldn't write new music because all it is is an exercise for college students.

Gee. Wish someone had told me sooner.

So, basically what I just took away from that article is that I wasted my time majoring in composition because we shouldn't write new music because all it is is an exercise for college students.

Gee. Wish someone had told me sooner.

No, you chose to focus on that aspect of it. You both have valid points.

Just as there may be drum corps shows that will program wind ensemble music like "Circuits", "Niagara Falls" and so on...you won't find anyone going all out to have a "Balladair", "Invicta" or "Novena" show...because some wind ensemble/band music is an exercise in teaching.

No one wants to be techincally dazzled but left emotionally bored....conversely, no one wants to have their heartstrings pulled with only sub-par technique. It's about finding a happy medium...which I took as the jist of the article. :)

...because some wind ensemble/band music is an exercise in teaching.

This is true...but the way it is stated in the article...it seems he believes ALL of it is.

Its a perfectly valid opinion to hold...I just don't share it.

I think we all like to find the happy medium, and I think we all like variety. However, how we define "happy medium" and "variety" differs greatly from person to person. In other words, the 2 poles he presents could be demarcated in countless different ways.