ONE HIT WONDERS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic & great posts guys! Love this kinda stuff....

good.gifclapping.gifclap3.gifclap2.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

I think it's interesting that all of these are from the 70s except two, one each from the 90s and 00s. Doesn't this say something about the number of corps competing at similar levels back then versus the limited number of powerhouse corps now? I think the chances of another one hit wonder are pretty slim. More likely that the 13-16 group will trade off with the 9-12 group in an ongoing rotation.

One of these days, a corps like the Academy will go Division I and jump into the top 12 fast, but my guess is that they'll probably stay there, and not be a one hit wonder.

I think you have a partial answer.

Another partial answer may be that this is also a function of everyone trying to figure out the "formula" needed to crack the Top 12 in the early years.

I have always been amazed that the Upstate corridor of NY along I-90 that runs from Albany through Syracuse to Rochester and Buffalo was only able to produce 1 Top 12 corps.

I think the Des Plaines Vanguard's DCI Finals appearance in 1972 was the last hurrah for that great corps.

I also heard somewhere that the legendary Hy Dreitzer was the brass arranger for them in '72.

Fran