Blue Stars try outs -- 3 states!

If anyone is familiar with how much work it takes to run a corps, and that most of the work is done by a "local" contingent, corps moving around the country will just not happen on a large scale. The people running corps are usually local, even if a few major staff are drawn from outside areas. Booking rehersal facilites, having a place to keep the truck and running camps/fundraisers are just a few things are more easily done close to home.

The Crossmen and Kiwanis are outliers in the big scheme of things. The Crossmen were in a unique position to be moved ie not really run by insiders, but rather managed by a larger group that had higher priorities. And Kiwanis has been flirting with Florida for several years

IMO, corps will not start searching for homes outside of their area unless they are run by a person or persons that are looking to make big bucks moves. The Blue Stars specifically have a strong home base and core of alumni and community support. They may make a few hour drive for camps, but if they moved the corps to far away the corps would lose its base support and wither.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Maybe you're thinking of the hockey team the Minnesota North Stars.

I used to an album the said the "Minnesota Blue Stars" on it. From the early seventies.

I used to an album the said the "Minnesota Blue Stars" on it. From the early seventies.
The Blue Stars were established from scratch in LaCrosse in 1965 and have been a LaCrosse corps ever since. Edited by sdstar

The Blue Stars were established from scratch in LaCrosse in 1965 and have been a LaCrosse corps ever since.

last time i checked...they held winter camps in min

last time i checked...they held winter camps in min

they've held camps in minneapolis because lots of members and staff come from that area and its much easier to fly into and the flights can be than flying into La Crosse. Also another reason is that a few years ago something happened in lacrosse during the Blue Stars homeshow where another corps trashed the housing site and since then its very hard if not impossible to get housing in La Crosse because of that.

I clearly remember the Blue Stars calling themselves "the kids from God's country" -- which is what Wisconsin calls itself (God's Country). I think that phrase was actually part of the Blue Stars introduction as they took the field.

In response we (SCV) called ourselves "the Gods from Kid's country" -- course we couldn't make that part of our official intro B)

Blue Stars started doing most of the camps in the Minneapolis area in 2004 (notice that's the year the corps doubled in size). It made it easier to get people to and from camp and they had access to better facilities, most likely at a cheaper price. Move in is still in LaCrosse, in time for the Memorial Day parade.

The heart of the corps is LaCrosse and always should be.

The Blue Stars were established from scratch in LaCrosse in 1965 and have been a LaCrosse corps ever since.

Actually, it was more of a merger between the Blue Stars color guard from Holmen and the La Crescent, MN Apple Arrows.

Just the nature of this topic and thread makes me laugh hysterically!

I would, for accuracy sake, like to point out that LaCrosse is closer to Madison than Minneapolis. Carry on please.