Drum Corps vs Grad School

jm615

I marched my ageout year much to everyone's regrets and it took me 2 years to restore myself financially. I hit really hard times when I got back from tour (from not working that summer)...BUT...I would do it again. It gave me a great sense of closure.

I have always tried to live my life so that when I'm older, I'm wont look back and say "what would have happened if I had gone for that?". Now that I'm getting older (I'm a ripe 27 now), I'm glad that I followed that philosophy because I've been able to experience so much.

I dont know all the specifics about your life so I cant give you fair advice, but look at the grand scheme of things and see where each choice fits.

I'm still not sure why you couldnt march this ageout summer AND go to grad school in the fall.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to probably one of the hardest decisions of your life!

I had to make this decision this past summer, age-out or school (essentially). I prayed for 3 months about it and ended up not marching. School won out. But I probably was one the luckiest doods this past summer because with 2 weeks left in the season the Bluecoats called me to fill a hole and I did, so I got to age-out. It was amazing.

Best of luck to you and your decision.

For a variety of reasons I stopped marching at the age of 18.

My biggest regret is not going out for a Top 12 corps and getting the chance to march on Finals night.

But.......

I did march for 3 years and have that wonderful experience to fall back on. It certainly has helped minimize any regret I have felt.

You have not marched and the life lessons you learn just from marching one season you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else you go on your journey in life.

Let me ask you a different question and this comes with a bunch of lifetime experience behind it...

Why would you want to be a part of any program, especially a music one, that does not understand or support other musical activities?

There is something wrong with that type of thinking and I would think very hard about being associated with a program or organization of any kind that is not supportive and accepting of the diversity of experience that you could bring it.

Best of luck.

I think it's important to know the reasons why your advisors are telling you to not march. If it is an issue with spending the entire summer on an instrument that is not your primary instrument, perhaps you can ease their minds by assuring them that you will take that instrument on tour to continue practicing so your embouchure is not changed or anything, as much of a hassle it may be. If this is the problem, I would think it would be almost impossible to take a year off of school and enter the program in 08 so you can march drum corps this year. The momentum would be lost and your playing would most likely suffer. It seems, however, that marching a complete season, and your age out season at that, is very important to you. I would definitely suggest looking into trying to do both.

Just wanted to know what opinions are out there for a 21 year old graduating senior planning on going to grad school in fall 2007. I've never completed an entire summer of drum corps because of a health issue that has been resolved and well this is my last summer to march. Facutly have strongly discouraged me from going on tour the summer before I'm expected to enter a master's program for music and I have tried to convince myself that they are right. BUT, I just can't shake the burning sensation inside of me to go on tour. I know it's something I will regret for the rest of my life if I do not march. I was hoping that some might have comments or suggestions or if anyone has had this same problem. Thanks.

MARCH......I did my masters in music WHILE TEACHING a major corps....as I started my coursework in the summer, that was nuts. However, you shouldn't have any problems finishing corps and then going to school. There are some faculty (I'm taking a guess you are a brass major??) who think that corps "kills" chops....these are people who have not been exposed to the activity for a long time and think you just blow your brains out....with that old mindset I understand their concern. They also may worry about your prior health issue. I wouldn't necessarily tell them, but your last chance to march is staring you in the face, and if you are healthy and ready, I would do it if I were you....

GB

• 2 months later...

Go for it!!

Edited by PRpitster

Just a quick update for everyone.

I ended up having a couple of glitches with some transfer credits, so it ends up that I cannot graduate until next fall. SOO, I think it's a sign that I should definitely try to do drumcorps! It's a second chance, and i don't have to worry about grad school now. So, I'm currently in the process of auditioning for Phantom Regiment. I've always loved them, admired them, and I think it would be a great corps to rook-out with if I get a spot. I'm practicing all the time, and trying to learn as much from Phantom that I can!! Wish me luck with the upcoming camps!!

march! for the love of god march!

you gotta do what you feel is right for yourself! if you feel that youll regret not marching, then march! youll have your whole life to go to grad school, why rush it?!?! ya i know the whole school comes first thing, but this isnt getting in the way of school, atleast you havnt said it is.. if its a practice over the summer thing, i say march. coming from a recent age out, i would do anything for more years! even if it means a summer of no practice...

you HAVE to follow what your mind is telling you, thats the only way youll be truly happy!

Welcome to probably one of the hardest decisions of your life!
If this be one of the hardest decisions in his life, he may consider himself a VERY fortunate young man!! Save the money and go to grad school. As mentioned in a previous post, the real world is MUCH more important than DCI will EVER be!!!!

Just a quick update for everyone.

I ended up having a couple of glitches with some transfer credits, so it ends up that I cannot graduate until next fall. SOO, I think it's a sign that I should definitely try to do drumcorps! It's a second chance, and i don't have to worry about grad school now. So, I'm currently in the process of auditioning for Phantom Regiment. I've always loved them, admired them, and I think it would be a great corps to rook-out with if I get a spot. I'm practicing all the time, and trying to learn as much from Phantom that I can!! Wish me luck with the upcoming camps!!

Good luck to you. The Regiment is an awesome corps. Good choice and all the best. :)