1987 Garfield Cadets - Appalachian Spring

A little seperation from the neo-rebirth in the possible 2007 thread...

1987 Garfield Cadets, Appalachian Spring...

Easily one of the most positively talked about and acclaimed shows in DCI's history.

Why do you love it so much?

Me? Yes this is corny and a little odd. However, watching this show makes me feel good. Have a bad day? Flip it on the DVD player and the mood immediately brightens. I feel as though every drum corps fan, member, judge etc... is required to watch it. It has an unfathomable explanation as to why this activity is good for the human mind and spirit. Hearing the first chord to the dissolving company front, the show is a spectacular celebration of all that is good in the world.

At least this is how I feel.

I've just never seen such a huge spontaneous crowd response as there was when they hit that company front... As SOON as they hit the form the crowd goes absolutely berserk - and stays standing... it's nuts.

Edited by TSRTS13

To me, it is truly perfection. Gorgeous music, stunning guard uniforms, incredible drill...a perfect interpretation of the music.

I, too, smile when I pop that DVD in the player. The entire show speaks to me in a visual and aural way.

Two words: SHEER PERFECTION.

A little seperation from the neo-rebirth in the possible 2007 thread...

1987 Garfield Cadets, Appalachian Spring...

Easily one of the most positively talked about and acclaimed shows in DCI's history.

Why do you love it so much?

Me? Yes this is corny and a little odd. However, watching this show makes me feel good. Have a bad day? Flip it on the DVD player and the mood immediately brightens. I feel as though every drum corps fan, member, judge etc... is required to watch it. It has an unfathomable explanation as to why this activity is good for the human mind and spirit. Hearing the first chord to the dissolving company front, the show is a spectacular celebration of all that is good in the world.

At least this is how I feel.

I debated with myself as to wether I should post this response or not. You guessed it....I decided to respond. :P

Being a huge drum corps fan of any stripe I like (Not love) the 1987 Garfield Cadets show. I even had the chance to see the show live twice that summer (One of the nights they faced SCV). I don't think their execution (Drill wise) was at a very high level compared to what we had seen from them just a year or two prior.

My favorite shows from them (In year order) are......

1984, 1986 (An odd one yes), 1989, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

I am one of many who perferred SCV in 87 than the Garfield Cadets.

Its obvious we all like different things.......thats what makes the work go around..

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte

I debated with myself as to wether I should post this response or not. You guessed it....I decided to respond. :P

Being a huge drum corps fan of any stripe I like (Not love) the 1987 Garfield Cadets show. I even had the chance to see the show live twice that summer (One of the nights they faced SCV). I don't think their execution (Drill wise) was at a very high level compared to what we had seen from them just a year or two prior.

My favorite shows from them (In year order) are......

1984, 1986 (An odd one yes), 1989, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

I am one of the many who perferred SCV in 87 than the Garfield Cadets.

Its obvious we all like different things.......thats what makes the work go around..

Triple Forte

Yeah but I asked you why you liked it, not why you prefered SCV that year.

Easily the most beautiful show ever performed. I had the opportunity to see the show live several times that summer as we (Dutch Boy) toured with Garfield almost the entire summer and we always watched them perform as there were MANY former Dutch Boy members marching that year with them. (3 guard, 2 snare including Lee Beddis and I believe there were a 2 of 3 horn players as well)

I was never disappointed. Every show they took my breath away. From the moment Wes leaps onto the field in the openning to the very end is just WOW!!

My only regret is I didn't march that show myself.. I loved Dutch Boy too much to imagine leaving my hometown corps but would have loved to march Garfield that year.

Never will be duplicated. :worthy::lol::lol:

1987 was my rookie year and we toured with Garfield almost the whole summer as well. I just checked www.corpsreps.com and counted my corps meeting Garfield at 20 shows not counting finals week. Like the previous poster, I saw them a lot that summer. I would estimate I saw them at least 16 times, usually from the home side fence, and sometimes from a good seat in the stands since my corps was usually one of the first on each night.

I fell in love with that show that summer. Probably due to the fact that it was the first show I saw repeatedly AND it was excellent all the way round. I don't own any drum corps recordings, but I purchased a symphonic recording of Appalacian Spring and have listened to it dozens of times. Heck, I love Copeland because of that show. If my corps had not begun a climb over the next few years, I may have even tried out for The Cadets eventually.

Neddy, by my count we saw Garfied 20 times that summer and Dutch Boy saw them 14, and many shows we competed against eachother. Glad to see someone can share a memory of those good old days, what a great show to have seen live.