DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

That is such stunning BS. There's a simple reason a non-NE corps hasn't won DCA...they haven't been the best corps.

The day a non-NE corps is the best corps there, they will win. It's that simple.

Agreed.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP DCA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And On And On ..............................................

You have added absolutely nothing to this conversation by saying that. You have the social equivalence to a streaker at this point for doing so. I hope you trip on a rock and bend your wookie ($1 to ralph wiggum).

It really depends on your perspective. I have much greater love and respect for Cali DC after learning the details of their circuit. It proves to me that they love the activity more than anything else. 5 Shows without a paycheck is 5 times on the field in front of a crowd entertaining their bumms offffff. It makes sense that each member of their region hosts a show with no payout. Hence, there is an equally shared risk and expense from everyone and all provide performance opportunities for one another. That's one way to lower the overhead until a circuit is built I guess.

There is a set pay structure that is accepted by most regions of DCI. I guess I would encourage you to contact them yourselves for that information. I really don't want to be the idiot that tells the world those details on a public forum :worthy:

my perspective is getting the reads and entertaining the fans is great. However if i have to haul an entire corps from SF to LA, i'd like to not lose money to do it.

I really don't understand why people are getting all bent about this.

Drum Corps is a competitive thing. Sure, there are non-competitive drum corps options, but in a competitive corps you are focused on some aspect of competition, be it by focusing on "win win win beat everyone else or it's no fun" or by competing within yourself and your organization (focusing on being the best you can be irregardless of the other folks) and all the stuff in between.

The only way the level of competition will get higher is to increase the level of competition across the board. The northeast corps have a very competitive circuit and tend to dominate the top five at finals. But they will only get as good as they can within their circuit - for example, the Brigadiers completely lifted the level of the game back in the late 1990s to early 2000's. Judging standards are transitioning now and the Bucs are leading the pack for the time being, but still being pushed hard from Empire/Bush/Cabs. Sure, MBI and the Renegades come in and shake things up, but they realistically do not have a shot at winning and raising the bar themselves until they have the same type of competitive schedule that will challenge them throughout the summer like the NE corps have. And I can only speak of the Renegades, having experienced them first hand, if they ever get that happening with the talent level they have out there, particularly in the horns? Watch out! And I'm not trying to slight the southern corps or other midwest corps here either, I just don't want to get into a discussion of the top 15.

I think the strides that are already being made are showing already with the increased competition to make finals. So let's keep trying to improve the competitive circuits outside the East and make the final product even better - drop the attitude about DCI, if they want to help, so be it - we need it as a whole for our activity to grow.

My 2 cents as an athletic administrator...

So,

DCIA groups in Central , get paid

and

DCIA Pacific, do NOT?

Sure sounds like it....I would LOVE for SCD, 'Gades, and RCR to get SOME fundage...if nothing else it would partially offset the costs we incurr when SCD travels north or 'Gades/RCR come south. Al the other shows we do in our own area are generally carpool trips.

The trick would be structuring the pay amount...last time I newm the Jrs were paid based on their previous years placement....

Allow me to help with your list as well.

The Manchester Muchachos from Manchester NH, were there as well. We have sent our application materials in for DCI-Atlantic Affiliate status and as a result invited to Chicago.

This thread is very interesting, especially reading some of the NorthEast comments.

Here's basically what it came down to for us. (Note: we are not a competing corps). We have been successful in the Manchester Area and are in demand a lot for parades/performances. However, we wanted to become more active in the regional drum corps community. Our corps has held or helped with Div. II/III shows in Manchester in the past. By Joining DCIA (DCI-Atlantic) we become part of that community and we can work directly with DCI in regards to our show.

In return from DCIA we get the opportunity to perform our show in front of what (we hope) will be appreciative drum corps fans. Which is something we so desperately want to do and feel it will help our program grow here in Manchester, NH. From my understanding we get to pick shows on the schedule that we feel we can attend & not break our budget (which basically within New England). The operating policies were pretty clear and we felt we could live with it.

There are several Div II/III corps in New England (Spartans, East Coast Jazz, Citations, Targets, & 7th Regiment, plus Northern Light is up and coming in RI, if I missed anyone I'm sorry). (Note: Mr. LaFlamme, director of the Spartans has been very helpful and supportive of our efforts) It appears to be a win/win for us & these corps. They get another show close to home and not break their travel budgets & we get more opporutnities to perform. If this is successful then the activity expands more in New England which are all good things.

Keep in mind we are non-competing & don't care about scores, we're about sharing this activity we love with others. We're very family friendly and have several families performing within our corps. We also don't mind being considered a "feeder" corps to the other Jr. corps in NE. We've had members in the past get introduced to drum corps through us and then move on to the Spartans. If only we could get more to come back and march as adults.

We could just have just as well chosen DCA, but we didn't. The primary reason was geography, SouthWestern CT would have really been the only opportunity for us to perform at another DCA show. Whereas there are 5 opporunties with DCI Div. II/III much closer, this doesn't include the Crusaders, Beverly & Bristol DCI shows either. So like many of the other all age corps not in the NY/NJ/PA region we made our decision primarily based on travel issues and performance opportunities.

Hope to see you out there in 2007.

For more information on the Manchester Muchachos go to www.muchachos.org.

Thanks for listening/reading

Dave

I've have sat by and read all comment, so I thought I should chime in.

I've been involved in the DCI-P Senior/All Age division from the very being. We want to start our own circuit, so we went to DCA and since there was no other DCA corps on the West Coast it would of been hard for them to give the support we needed liked DCA judges/Shows etc. So we went to DCI-Pacific for help and to see if we could perform in a few shows. It was a hard and long process, but we we're able to get a few show. Yes we had to go on 1st, So what, Yes we didn't get paid, So what, but we got to perform, and then in the following years we could nurture and networking and maybe get more show, get judged on DCA sheets, a vote, and maybe get paid.

Yes, we here at Dream travel north 7 hours to perform in Northern California, no pay, going on 1st, etc, etc. But we get to perform clean up our shows get judged so we can get ready to perform at DCA Champs weekend.

DCI & DCA are networking together for the betterment of Drum Corps. I know this because I was the contact for making sure the we senior had DCA sheets last years, so I had contact with the Head Judges in both associations to make sure everything was working.

Thanks for reading...

Allow me to help with your list as well.

The Manchester Muchachos from Manchester NH, were there as well. We have sent our application materials in for DCI-Atlantic Affiliate status and as a result invited to Chicago.

In return from DCIA we get the opportunity to perform our show in front of what (we hope) will be appreciative drum corps fans. Which is something we so desperately want to do and feel it will help our program grow here in Manchester, NH. From my understanding we get to pick shows on the schedule that we feel we can attend & not break our budget (which basically within New England). The operating policies were pretty clear and we felt we could live with it.

Dave

Don't know who is responsible for setting up DCI shows (guessing mainly Div II/III) in upper NE so forgive a possibly dumb question. Is there a difference in dealing directly with DCI in getting an invite to perform in exhibition? Thought setting up an exhibition group was up to the show sponsor.

Interesting idea to perform in from of a Junior corps crowd. Lancers have played before the Cadets and Crossmen June exhibition show at Gettysburg but that is not a DCI show. But there is a DCI show at Westminster, MD down the road from Hanover.......