DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

Harmony (Sr) out of Boonton, NJ is listed in dbcna as 1886-?. Bought a corps patch off of eBay a few years ago but my bad for not asking about the corps when I had the chance.

What happens if Hanover drops the "Alumni" tag but continue as a non-competative corps?

"Since 1920 with a gap or two in between". :P

At least might have the record for longest with the same sponsor as AL Post #14 is still supporting the corps.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few comments:

1. We cannot (yet) hold DCA shows on the West Coast. In order to offer a DCA sanctioned show, there must be three DCA member corps. With RCR planning to make the trek, we could potentially hold a show this year (assuming they pay their dues to DCA).

2. DCI's charter is to service youth, which THEY define as being 22 and under. It does not matter (in the context of this discussion) what ages other organizations use to define what is or is not an adult.

3. DCI has no interest in adding a senior or AA division. Obviously, this could change, but I have been on the inside of many discussions about this with DCI and they are not interested in groups that do not match their charter.

4. DCI does support All Age corps in one way - they allow them to perform at shows, if there is room. On the West Coast, that means that if there are less than 14 Junior Corps in a show, AA corps can be added, if the show sponsor wants them.

5. It is not all that common for Drum Corps shows on the west coast to make money, especially if the show is new or in a new area. Putting on a DCI show can cost $20,000 or more.

6. On the West Coast, there is a wide spread feeling, mainly due to how little money show sponsors make, that our corps are actually a drain on revenue because the folks that march AA corps would normally buy tickets to the show.

7. For us, DCI-Pacific is the only game in town. Until there are more AA corps, we are stuck with this.

What?,..............the poster stated that with the program add sales they turned a small profit,..............ask any promoter of any show, and they will tell you that ANY profit is rare,..................usually we define the success of our show by how close we approach breaking even,..................which is a success in and of itself,...................REALLY!

When you have a half full stadium -- and a fair portion of that crowd arrives for the Div Is and don;t buy a program -- where's the profit gonna come from?

again....when th west coast corps have mroe fully developed an idea that we are worth viewing, we'll get more people in the stands, and mroe moneymaking will follow. Right NOW, tho...we generally perform for a dozen or so...

Full Member?/ or does anylevel of DCA corps count?

I think it's that they have to go to DCA, not just be a regional Sr corps...if RCR had been able to go this year, that MAY have done it, although i think their original plan was just for mini-corps...don't know if that would've met the conditions...

....Chris??

Chanlers drum and bugle corps of Beacon, NY has been in continuous operation since 1903. Also there are military drum corps with fife, drum, and bugle that go back further. While the origins of drum corps can be debated, it would appear that the first American drum and bugle corps appeared in our military during the latter part of the 19th century. The Hudson Valley of New York and Connecticut were also important as they kept the art of rudimental drumming alive. Even today there are numerous fife and drum corps there. Drum corps existed before WW I on the east coast. However the Boys of 76 surely were the premier corps of the 1920's.

Given that Harvey W. Seeds Post 29 of Miami won 3 consecutive legion nationals in the 20s (including one held in Paris) I think they have claim to that decade. No disrespect to Boys of '76 who probably had a longer run of credible placements than anyone else.

Correct me if Im wrong, but isn't 18 and over considered an adult age. So DCI can not solely be a youth organization.

Im just saying

apparently youth is classified as 22 and under, and the government is ok with it

Harrisburg (Central Dauphin HS) looked big but the stands are not that high. The corps played to the visitors side because not enough of the press box windows didn't open for the judges. Guess a few thousand but really have no idea.

On the positive side this was really the first All-Age only show in the Harrisburg area since Westshoremen stopped having their home show in Carlisle about 10-15 years ago. Five Star (show sponsors) kinda started from scratch since the Hershey combined show got booted. So you could consider this a new show.

i dont know the numbers, but i'm pretty sure it was over 1000, which isnt bad given the size of the stadium.

a couple other local stadiums could hold more, but apparently didnt want to hold a show.

Looks like Gary might have a second calling to jump start the Hershey show. Hate it when 2,000+ fans don't sit their butts down for an established East Coast Drum Corps show. Drum Corps shows draw fans based on location, and quality well known/branded Drum Corps. Having a full slate of quality Drum Corps will help build a Drum Corps show faster than anything else. Regardless !!!

The DCA-C Drum Corps already host shows every year. However, distance and availability of a full slate of DCA AA Drum Corps have slowed the establishment of these shows all becoming DCA sanctioned Drum Corps shows. DCI is willing to provide additional DCI Drum Corps at the existing show locations. Looks like just holding a DCA Drum Corps show may take a back seat again to the realities of providing a full slate of quality Drum Corps at the various DCA-C Drum Corps shows in 2007.

DCA as a whole might want to consider discussing this and other distasteful items when they convene their next Non-Inclusive/Exclusive meeting shortly.

drum corps isnt going back to hershey for a while. even with some new faces in there, they hold grudges and do notlike being sued.

A few comments:

1. We cannot (yet) hold DCA shows on the West Coast. In order to offer a DCA sanctioned show, there must be three DCA member corps. With RCR planning to make the trek, we could potentially hold a show this year (assuming they pay their dues to DCA).

2. DCI's charter is to service youth, which THEY define as being 22 and under. It does not matter (in the context of this discussion) what ages other organizations use to define what is or is not an adult.

3. DCI has no interest in adding a senior or AA division. Obviously, this could change, but I have been on the inside of many discussions about this with DCI and they are not interested in groups that do not match their charter.

4. DCI does support All Age corps in one way - they allow them to perform at shows, if there is room. On the West Coast, that means that if there are less than 14 Junior Corps in a show, AA corps can be added, if the show sponsor wants them.

5. It is not all that common for Drum Corps shows on the west coast to make money, especially if the show is new or in a new area. Putting on a DCI show can cost $20,000 or more.

6. On the West Coast, there is a wide spread feeling, mainly due to how little money show sponsors make, that our corps are actually a drain on revenue because the folks that march AA corps would normally buy tickets to the show.

7. For us, DCI-Pacific is the only game in town. Until there are more AA corps, we are stuck with this.

and the new agreement helps you get more visibility than you had before, which is good.