How many...

I don't think I've ever posted in this forum before, but with the Brigs show announcement, I got to thinking about a friend of mine who finished his season with DCI and went straight into DCA, rehearsing with the Brigadiers. My question is, how many people actually do this? Is the opportunity very common? I think it would be a great thing to experience, but I'm not willing to give up even one year of my DCI experience while I still have it. I was just wondering how realistic it is for DCI members to do this.

It (DCA corps adding DCI kids after DCI championships) does not happen today any where near as often as it used to...

that being said... especially with all aged corps, things happen... jobs, school, injuries and family... it is unfortunate, but when dealing with older people with real lives it is a rare corps that doesn't have to find someone capable of filling a hole just before championships.

I tend to look at it positively - as an opportunity to get more DCI kids to the DCA arena and allow them to find out for themselves (and spread the word after they are enlightened) that there IS drum corps after DCI...

it can happen, but it takes extremely talented people to pull it off. today's shows are often too complex for someone to master in 2 weeks before finals.

it can happen, but it takes extremely talented people to pull it off. today's shows are often too complex for someone to master in 2 weeks before finals.

Maybe some other Bushwacker people can chime in here (Dugan?), but I think there is a rule which states a corp cannot add more than X percentage to their ranks after DCI championships. People have told me this is known as 'the bushwacker rule'. Back in the mid 80's, Bush use to get a good amount of people from DCI after their championships (mostly in the horn line) and the corps would grow significantly enough to impact the scores/placement.

I know this is a little vague and perhaps someone can chime in with the specifics.

But, with that, it still does happen but, as Jeff mentioned, far less than it use to. Todays shows are a little more complicated than they were 20 years ago so it's alot to learn in just 2 weeks.

I disagree here. Takes talent yes, but DCA shows aren't that "complex" at all and for a kid coming from a DCI season in full "Drum Corps" mode, learning a full DCA show in a couple days is a piece of cake.

That being said, it is realistic and you absolutly can do this.

And you are right, if money and time allows you to march all of your DCI years, do it. DCI and DCA are 2 totally different experiences. DCA is always around, and DCI ends at 21, so live your junior experience while you can.

:)

In 2002 Brigs had a kid who marched Magic, won Division II, was a Division I finalist, then won DCA Open Class and may have also thrown in some I&E medals in for good measure. He was quite bemedaled when I saw him on retreat.

1985 Westshoremen (in yet another rebuilding year) had two Gaar-field Cadets filling holes in the sop line. They knew one of our instructors and picked up the drill and final (loud) notes of the songs over the last week of practice.

Also had Frank Minear(sp?) do the same thing in 1977 as he was a "ringer" doing some screaming sop work during our concert number.

But Frank cheated as he just shadowed the contra bass line around. :music: And the contras were shadowing the bass drum line (some wierd late 70s drill idea).

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

In 2002 Brigs had a kid who marched Magic, won Division II, was a Division I finalist, then won DCA Open Class and may have also thrown in some I&E medals in for good measure. He was quite bemedaled when I saw him on retreat.

hehe that would be John Sigona... Crazy dude. He actually started with Brigs when he was asked to fill out a tuba spot at Magic, and came back to Brigs after DCI finals. And no, no I&E for him that year.... not THAT crazy. lol

Reminds me of another of our contra players, Clint, who march DCI and DCA at the same time. The 2 corps were at one same show once, so he had to march his junior performance and right after jump in the Brigs uni and back on the field for the DCA performance. He said he will never ever do that again... hehe

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

hehe that would be John Sigona... Crazy dude. He actually started with Brigs when he was asked to fill out a tuba spot at Magic, and came back to Brigs after DCI finals. And no, no I&E for him that year.... not THAT crazy. lol

Reminds me of another of our contra players, Clint, who march DCI and DCA at the same time. The 2 corps were at one same show once, so he had to march his junior performance and right after jump in the Brigs uni and back on the field for the DCA performance. He said he will never ever do that again... hehe

I've got to double check this one, but I think there were 2-3 Brigs that did double-duty with Magic that year. Sigona, for sure. Didn't Greg Hernandez and Bryan Kroon win double rings that year too?

Back to the original topic of the thread: it's not uncommon for a couple of holes to open up during the course of the season due to injury, etc. At Brigs, at least, a lot of times these holes are filled with members who had marched with Brigs to gain experience before joining a DCI corps and/or members of a DCI corps that were recruited by one of our "shared" staff members (e.g. folks on staff at Brigs and Cadets, Brigs and Boston Crusaders...well, you get the idea).

corps_forever07: As for not giving up a DCI season to march DCA, that's a decision that needs to be made on an individual basis. If 2007 DCA is doesn't work out for you, just remember that your marching career doesn't have to end when you age out of DCI. :)