Judges Effecting Outcomes

Althought the debate shall rage forever over the 1972 DCA Finals, one year later was a bigger miscarriage of justice, IMO:

The 1973 Syracuse Brigadiers attempted a monumental come-back after folding in '72, busting their tushies for 5 weeks - only to miss Finals by 5/100 of a point, mostly due to a penalty for "undersized flags" at Prelims...

(I was there in the stands at Prelims, and I vividly remember people physically holding Corkie back to prevent him from charging the judges' table and *killing* somebody!)

It completely devastated them, and it took them almost 2 decades to hit the Prelim field again...

Not that I consider myself an old timer, but the American Legion Competitive Flag Code specified a minimum size of 3' by 5' for the US colors. So having an undersized flag would have been a one point penalty assuming that DCA employed the American Legion code which was the standard back then.

Is this the story I overheard at the Alumni Spectacular where one of the other corps directors told the Brigs director "You should probably wash your flags, they're looking pretty dirty", knowing they would shrink a little? Then (I assume) that director tipped off the judges to check flag size.

Also remember reading or hearing that after the Brigs came off the field the Chief Judge was there with a tape measure.

Where's Tom P when you need him, think he told the story.

MJH- Yes, that is the story! I, too was told the whole thing by some old-timers who were on the field that day. One was a member of the American section. I will not dig up the old dirt from so long ago, and say who it was that suggested 'washing' the flags. At this late stage, it would serve no purpose. Suffice it to say, it was a 'sneaky trick' that NEVER should have happened. B)

You're right, Mark. It is a sneaky trick, but rules are rules and I bet there were any number of people thinking "I wish I'd thought of it first!" It reminds me of the 'pine tar incident' in baseball.

You know, it's stuff like a corps not making finals because of flag size that led to the formation of DCI & DCA. How many times did a corps move back a position or more because they didn't pass uniform inspection?