Who will win the battle between Pioneer and The Magi(c)

LOL

That depends on how you interpet win. I think it is possible in next year or so that Pioneer could pass Magic. In order for that to happen Magic needs to be around and I am not at all convinced that will happen. If you look at the history, the organisation the management there is no question Pioneer wins. You don't hear of thier members going hungry or eating PB&J. You don't have a question if they will compete after Allentown.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends on how you interpet win. I think it is possible in next year or so that Pioneer could pass Magic. In order for that to happen Magic needs to be around and I am not at all convinced that will happen. If you look at the history, the organisation the management there is no question Pioneer wins. You don't hear of thier members going hungry or eating PB&J. You don't have a question if they will compete after Allentown.

You have some valid points, rbj, however, it was Pioneers who placed last or, at best, near the "bottom of the heap" at a majority of their regional contests during the summer. Also, it was the Pioneers who continously place dead last at DCI Quarters and have done so for at least five years in a row. The competitive record of a corps can be directly attributed to it's management and whom it hires to write for the corps and train it's members. All things considered and the way things are going, competing after Allentown is somewhat irrelevant.

Pioneer has been around since 1961. They have three world championship titles in Div 2 and 3. Being around and not folding, providing a family environment that balances competition, comraderie, and music and marching education is pretty darn important. Making Semis and Finals is great, but there are other aspects to drum corps besides winning. It is the journey and what you get out of it that is most important (to some people), and not the destination.

Shane Ainsworth

Who will win the "battle" between the two corps?

We don't have "battles" between corps. Corps need each other to exist as an activity. We have good-natured competition (forgive me if I'm reading too much into this) and all corps strive to do their best. Some will score higher than others.

But at the end of the season, we end up with a lot of members, instructors, management and fans who had the time of their lives and have laid the groundwork for the next generation of marchers, no matter what corps those members will march in.

We don't have "battles" between corps.

But imagine the marketing potential of "Drum Corps Deathmatch: Hopkins v. Gibbs".

You'd make a great MC of the show, in fact.

We don't have "battles" between corps. Corps need each other to exist as an activity. We have good-natured competition (forgive me if I'm reading too much into this) and all corps strive to do their best. Some will score higher than others.

But at the end of the season, we end up with a lot of members, instructors, management and fans who had the time of their lives and have laid the groundwork for the next generation of marchers, no matter what corps those members will march in.

You ought to do a Fanfare on the fights between corps back in the old days. IIRC, you didn't want to mess w/ BAC.

I'll agree with that. Sometimes kids who are in corps' outside of the top 12 don't realize that people enjoy watching them just as much. Some of it might have to do with age and the perception of time. Teenagers are not world reknowned for waiting to get what they want. Long term planning is just not one of their strong points (now how would I know that? :P ). But if some kids COULD be convinced to remain with the corps over the course of their eligibility, they could turn it into a real butt kicker, but a lot of kids just don't think that way. I wish they did though.

comin from someone who actually marched pioneer, i loved the org. great people, great food, great tradtions, and i loved the shows. but i tell you i understand people loved the shows we ut on....but going to quarterfinals and performing our final show to less people than we sometimes had at our rehersals.....i age out next year...and i want my last memory fromthe feid to be one of lots of people in the stasnds goin nuts you know?

Who will win the battle between needless threads and common sense?

The author of this thread never gave any of the stats (DX, IQ, Health, etc.) so when the dice are rolled it's hard to say. Then do either of these corps have saving throws? So much information is needed.

You have some valid points, rbj, however, it was Pioneers who placed last or, at best, near the "bottom of the heap" at a majority of their regional contests during the summer. Also, it was the Pioneers who continously place dead last at DCI Quarters and have done so for at least five years in a row. The competitive record of a corps can be directly attributed to it's management and whom it hires to write for the corps and train it's members. All things considered and the way things are going, competing after Allentown is somewhat irrelevant.

Is placement the only thing that matters?