Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elk's Parade. Definately. Hy did a great job with it. With a little arrangement tweaking to suit Drum Corps in this day and age it would be a knock out!

Elk's Parade. Definately. Hy did a great job with it. With a little arrangement tweaking to suit Drum Corps in this day and age it would be a knock out!

Sky Updated it in 1988 or 89, I dont remember. They had an awsome sounding baritone section come out to the center field and play a sextet. The snares and tenors did a great exchange far surpasing Sky's older rendition. The corps played it two years back to back. The second year they did an end zone to end zone company front that sent shivers up my spine. The crowd went wild for that tune that year.

I think a good theme could be around the Statue of Liberty. Have the color guard in clothing imagrants would wear. Have a really big prop of the Lady her self or a honking torch with paper flames. The show could move through the phases of being processed to starting out their new lives in the country of opportunity and freedom. Music could a mixture of cultures from around the world woven between standard brass military music.

hrm.

Mom

Sky Updated it in 1988 or 89, I dont remember. They had an awsome sounding baritone section come out to the center field and play a sextet. The snares and tenors did a great exchange far surpasing Sky's older rendition. The corps played it two years back to back. The second year they did an end zone to end zone company front that sent shivers up my spine. The crowd went wild for that tune that year.

1989 was the year the ghosts walked. Anyone on the field that night will remember that performance. (Dirt, I owe you a beer for that one). What a performance...what a finish.

Barbara

Was the company front during E.P. or marching out to the field at the start of the show? Remember one year at Allentown they got a standing O for that move before they played a note. And remember hearing EP for the last time from the competative corps at Allentown.

On topic - Like the Statue of Liberty, immigration and NYC ethnic neighborhoods. Sounds like the mixed ethnic Sky corps I remember from my days. :laugh:

Howza 'bout Sky bringing back one of the old songs ("Give My Regards to Broadway", "New York, New York", "Elks Parade", etc) as a retreat number. Heard Cabs and Hurcs do it last year, gave the corps a chance to crank one out and the crowd loved it.

And I submit 2005 Brigadiers to dispute your claim. Yawn. However well intended it was and however it came across on paper, it did not translate very well once it hit the field.

Well, it's the Brigs, what do you expect? ^0^

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I actually feel that since so much great jazz was played in NYC, besides the fact that Bebop was born there that it would be a shame to do a show based on a vocal group's (from Ithica, NOT NYC) rehashed arrangements.

Sky could do a Cowboy Bebop show. :P

New York has been the venue of some of the greatest concerts the world has ever seen. Perhaps doing a show based on the great performances from some of these events:

Live from Central Park............The SKYLINERS!!!!!

Think of some of the great musical events that have happened in that place; Simon and Garfunkel, Dave Matthews Band, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, not to mention the NY Metropolitan Opera Company and New York Philharmonic. This would be a differnt approach to Sky.

You could also go the old stand-by route with jazz and do a tour of New York's jazz clubs.

Birdland, Blue Note, Cotton Club, Village Vanguard