Notable Non-High Brass Drum Corps

But what about the case in which someone with absolutely no musical background attends a drum corps show...which sounds will he ultimately find the most enjoyable and pleasing to the ear? In this case, what may be the most musical may not be the most enjoyable to this person.

This, my friend, is truer than you know.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda feel too many "death" moments in the way cadets play their music. a good example is 05. no dinamic variations for very long times (even if the music would need it, but this up to every single listener) and, related to this, I can hear just a few dinamics between their pp and fffff. and dynamics are such an important thing in drum corps, which I'm sure we all agree that it's not all about playing as loud as %@

probably was already mentioned, but I would add cavaliers 03 and 05 and bluecoats 05 as great hornlines.

I kinda feel too many "death" moments in the way cadets play their music. a good example is 05. no dinamic variations for very long times (even if the music would need it, but this up to every single listener) and, related to this, I can hear just a few dinamics between their pp and fffff. and dynamics are such an important thing in drum corps, which I'm sure we all agree that it's not all about playing as loud as %@

:doh: I think Cadets 05 (and Cadets lines in general) have plenty of dynamic range.

seriously?!?

Yes.

Trumpets had some issues finals night that weren't present earlier in the season, but that's the only issue I have.

Edited by Hrothgar15

When someone says someone has a wind-ensemble-like approach, I think most people first consider the way the hornline actually plays, not who arranges their music.

When someone says someone has a wind-ensemble-like approach, I think most people first consider the way the hornline actually plays, not who arranges their music.

It was vague, but I elaborated and furthered the definition, so there. What now? :P

Plus, Gino owns. In my opinion, Cadets 2000 is one of the best brass performances in the history of the activity (did I mention it's also the best drum corps show ever performed)?
seriously?!?

Quoting (and siding with) someone who would most definitely have the credibility to disagree with your statement......yeah. They weren't even the best hornline on the field that night....possibly not even one of the THREE best hornlines on the field that night. You can't just throw away the last minute and a half of a show (and not just any show; DCI finals), ESPECIALLY after not playing for over a minute and a half right before that. Seriously. That hornline got REALLY offensive by the ending.

Edited by Jared_mello