Who Turned you on to Drum Corps?

This probably has been done before....

Where did you learn about Drum corps?

I learned about drum corps from My Father.

Tom Ryan Marched in a Drum corps out of Ridgefield Park NJ called Rienzi I'm sure I didn't spell that right. He would always start his story with that name and I never got him to write it down. Beleive it or not he tells me the corps was named after General Sherman's Horse from civil war fame. (Rienzi was also the name of Wagner's Third Opera but the horse thing sounds more veteran like LOL) He Played tenor drum. He and some friends heard about this new corps in Hawthorne NJ way out in Passaic county NJ and decided to go check it out. He went in 1948 and left in 1966 I guess he liked it. The trips my brother and I were on during that stretch of time were enlightening to say the least. So that was my intro to DC. The Caballeros.

I'm sure that there are alot of similar stories out there what are yours.

Mike Ryan

Caballeros 1975-2007

It was June of 1960. I lived 2 blocks from the High School. I saw all the bus's going over to the Stadium. School had been out for 2 weeks. So I walked over and found the New Jersey VFW State Championships. (Free Admision). So I went in. Got to see at least 3 National Contenders. I was turned on to the stuff. Went down to the LOCAL VFW and joined a parade Corps that was going Field Corps the next year or so. The Asbury Park Hurricanes.

Here are the scores from that contest:

NJ VFW state Championship

Asbury Park,N.J.

1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights - Newark,NJ 86.500

2 St. Vincent's Cadets - Bayonne,NJ --------------- 86.400

3 Garfield Cadets - Garfield,NJ ---------------------- 85.340

4 Bracken Cavaliers - Bristol,PA -------------------- 81.450

5 Vagabonds - Haddon Hights,NJ ------------------- 78.150

6 Our Lady of Lourdes - Patterson,NJ -------------- 76.250

7 St. Patrick's Cadets - Jersey City,NJ ------------- 74.860

8 Paterson Cadets - Paterson,NJ ------------------- 73.220

9 Belles of St. Mary's - Glouchester,NJ ------------ 72.580

10 St. Lucy's Cadets - Newark,NJ ------------------ 70.520

11 OLPH Baysiders - Bayridge,NY ------------------ 67.270

11 Woodsiders - Newark,NJ ------------------------- 67.270

13 St. Nicholas Girls - Egg Harbor,NJ -------------- 59.950

14 Bellaires - Bellmawr,NJ -------------------------- 51.960

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably has been done before....

Where did you learn about Drum corps?

I learned about drum corps from My Father.

Tom Ryan Marched in a Drum corps out of Ridgefield Park NJ called Rienzi I'm sure I didn't spell that right. He would always start his story with that name and I never got him to write it down. Beleive it or not he tells me the corps was named after General Sherman's Horse from civil war fame. (Rienzi was also the name of Wagner's Third Opera but the horse thing sounds more veteran like LOL) He Played tenor drum. He and some friends heard about this new corps in Hawthorne NJ way out in Passaic county NJ and decided to go check it out. He went in 1948 and left in 1966 I guess he liked it. The trips my brother and I were on during that stretch of time were enlightening to say the least. So that was my intro to DC. The Caballeros.

I'm sure that there are alot of similar stories out there what are yours.

Mike Ryan

Caballeros 1975-2007

Funny Thing when he reached Hawthorne He decided that playing a brass instrument would be easier on his back. So did he play soprano NO he played baritone. Go figure. Man the responses are cool. Family and friend connections are what makes our activity so strong. By the way I met my wife, Terry Knott, at a local indoor guard show. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniverary this past July. My daughter started marching in the Cabs in 1998. All in the Family. Pretty cool.

Mike Ryan

My story is also a "drum corps in the family" story.

My brothers Lenny and Marty joined the Raiders of 88 junior corps of Highland Park, NJ (next town over from Edison, where we lived), for the 1967 season.

I joined in the fall of '67.... the corps folded shortly after that.

Lenny and Marty marched with the Little Falls (NJ) Cadets in 1968.....I gave it a shot for a brief time in the off-season, but the one-hour drive each way to practice turned out to be a bit much for a 9-year-old.

Lenny then joined the Manville (NJ) Sacred Heart Crusaders in '69, and Marty enlisted in the Air Force. My parents and I followed the Crusaders at various shows in 1969 and '70...including the Wildwood VFW and American Legion States shows. The first really big show I remember seeing was the World Open in 1970.

My first season marching with Manville was 1971.... and I've been involved in drum corps, in one way or another, every year since.

Fran

I lived out in the country until I was 10, and there was no exposure to drum corps out there, but my parents had me enrolled in dance lessons at the nearest town from the ages 4-12. Then we moved to a fairly large city, and I was unhappy with the dance programs that were available. The KW Santa Claus parade hooked me into drum corps.... I traded my tap shoes for drum sticks, so I guess I never lost my rhythm, just transfered it to another part of my anatomy.

My high school band director use to have us sit down at the end of band camp and have us watch DCI on public television.

I started going to DCI contests after that whenever they were in the local area.Nashville at one time use to have several DCI shows in a single season.

I will never forget seeing BD and Spirit peel paint with those bugles.Boy what a day.

As far as getting introduced to DCA.I sent a email to DCA requesting a corps in my local area.I got a responce from Tom PEashey telling me about MCL and Corpsvets.The rest as they say is history.

In 9th grade I had moved from a small town with a rinky dink band to Carlisle, PA who were just becoming the dominant band in Group Four. It was like going from JV football to the NFL overnight. :doh:

The whole band staff were former Bluecoats player/ instructors and from there on out, it was all about drum corps.

Also a Family thing. My brothers joined a local parade corps - The Pequa Redmen, then my sister followed, then my Dad became director. I begged to join, and as soon as I was tall enough to hold a flag I was there.

By the way - our drum instructor was one of the "Original" Sunrisers - Cal Meyers.

Edited by irishcab95

Father has been marching for over 30 years. I never really went to drum corps shows. Only to Sounds on the Susquehannah because it's close to home and championchips. Even those shows I never sat and watched the entire thing. I only watched New York. And people often tell me that I was drawn to that corps because my dad was in it but I don't think it was the case. When I was young and went to watch him in Sky back in 94-95, I used to fall asleep in the stands. But I always woke up when Sky started their street beat and didn't fall back to sleep until the left the field. It wasn't until I started marching in 2003 when I got into drum corps and still I won't watch anyone except Sky and Sky Alumni.

One Saturday evening I was bored and decided to see what the crowd was going into the HersheyPark stadium to watch. Two years later I was marching with the corps. It was the precision, music, pageantry and entertaining aspects. Up until that time, I had never done anything musically.

through my college marching band. Dave Dion (Hurcs) & Chris Szabo (Sun) were students at WCSU with me. George & Debbie Maloney (Hurcs) were on staff. Dave Smith, our director, had marched Interstatesmen (hope i got the name right).

i couldn't have been introduced to it by a better bunch of people. :)