Who Turned you on to Drum Corps?

This probably has been done before....

Where did you learn about Drum corps?

I learned about drum corps from My Father.

Tom Ryan Marched in a Drum corps out of Ridgefield Park NJ called Rienzi I'm sure I didn't spell that right. He would always start his story with that name and I never got him to write it down. Beleive it or not he tells me the corps was named after General Sherman's Horse from civil war fame. (Rienzi was also the name of Wagner's Third Opera but the horse thing sounds more veteran like LOL) He Played tenor drum. He and some friends heard about this new corps in Hawthorne NJ way out in Passaic county NJ and decided to go check it out. He went in 1948 and left in 1966 I guess he liked it. The trips my brother and I were on during that stretch of time were enlightening to say the least. So that was my intro to DC. The Caballeros.

I'm sure that there are alot of similar stories out there what are yours.

Mike Ryan

Caballeros 1975-2007

Edited by Cabstuba04

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to your story, I, too, became a drum corps fanatic and member through my family.

Mine is a three generation story. My grandparents, Delphine Maslanski and George Gaminski (the -ski dropped off some time later), met while marching in a Cleveland-area Polish Legion of American Veterans corps during the late 1940's. I believe my great-uncle Dan Maslanski (later Masland. Lot of name changing goin' on here for some reason) also met his wife Marcy in the same corps.

Three decades later, my uncle Bruce Gamin marched with the Cleveland Buckeyes, Toledo Glassmen, and the 27th Lancers. My aunt Diana Schweitzer (sp?) marched with the Finleyville Royal Crusaders and the Blue Stars. They met when both taught the Buckeye State Caballaros in the early 1980's.

Now it's been my turn, having marched with the Glassmen and Empire Statesmen. I didn't meet my wife Rachel in corps, although she got quite the crash course in the activity as we met shortly before the summer of '02, my last year with the Statesmen.

In 1982 Matt Hurley (Raiders, Phoenix, Surf, Bridgemen) & I were in the 7th grade. We had been in grammar school together playing trumpet since the 5 grade. Finally he convinced me to come check out a rehearsal of the Bayonne Kidets. After the first nervous minutes of playing with a what I thought was a hugh line, I was hooked. Then we were all able to watch the Bridgemen at the TOS from the front sideline. I remember thinking I could not wait to be a part of the big corps who had way to much fun on the field. Unfortunately, by the time my parents allowed to me go on tour it was 1986, so with no Bridgement I went to Cadets.

To this day, Matt & I are still the best of friends because of drum corps.

....was playing for our High School football game (Cambridge Springs, Pa.) in the band as 1st trumpet (age 15) I was approached by two members of the Meadville Thunderbirds (one a bass drummer and the other in the color guard) They said that they were out looking for the "best of the best" to belong to their Drum & Bugle Corps' and my name was suggested.

I said...."What's a Drum & Bugle Corps"? B) The rest is History.........(and the Saga continues.......)

I was walking down the street in Elizabeth, NJ when I was approached by 2 members of the Polish Falcon Cadets...They explained what the corp was all about and for .50 cents a week I could learn an instrament and be part of something special that was in 1966 when I was a little tike 9 yo...I marched with several corps since then and Im still involved with the corp I fell in love with in 1976 and joined in 1977 the Bayonne Bridgemen.......

Like you, Mike, I was introduced to drum corps by my father who, along with his brother and sister, marched with Sgt. Hamilton Fish VFW Post juniors in the 30's into early '40's. He maintained many friends in the activity & he would take me to many local events. Parades were always a big thing in Philly. I attended my first contest in 1949. It was Nationals in Philly.

I was restless in high school, but made practices with the Yearsley Blackhawks and Liberty Bell. Would watch practices of the latter and Reilly on Friday nights during the spring and summers.

Did not fully commit until '62 when I joined Archie. A month later my father also joined. He was recruited by his old buddy from "back in the day", Bill 'Froggie' Froberg. I had the pleasure of performing with Pop from then until his passing in '89. He was also my assistant DM with Archie in the late '70's. ^OO^

Edited by Jimbalaya

I learned about drum corps from My Father.

Tom Ryan Marched in a Drum corps out of Ridgefield Park NJ called Rienzi I'm sure I didn't spell that right. He would always start his story with that name and I never got him to write it down. Beleive it or not he tells me the corps was named after General Sherman's Horse from civil war fame. (Rienzi was also the name of Wagner's Third Opera but the horse thing sounds more veteran like LOL) He Played tenor drum. He and some friends heard about this new corps in Hawthorne NJ way out in Passaic county NJ and decided to go check it out. He went in 1948 and left in 1966 I guess he liked it. The trips my brother and I were on during that stretch of time were enlightening to say the least. So that was my intro to DC. The Caballeros.

I'm sure that there are alot of similar stories out there what are yours.

Mike Ryan

Caballeros 1975-2007

Well, Mike, I think you know my story, but for the thread....I was born into the activity. My family was from Pomton Lakes NJ, and essentially was surrounded by about 5 or 6 corps within a 10 mile radius. My sister Joi actually was the first to want to march and She tried out for guard in the Stardusters. When that didn't pan out just up the street from us in Wayne there was another corps, The Wayne Monarchs. This time it was her an my brother Al who decided to try out. That was circa 1968. two year later I was introdcued to the world then to Drum Corps. from the time I was old enough to walk I was in uniform. Made my first daybue playing in 1978. I played cymbals for the Kings Regiment (Merger between the Wayne Monarchs and the Lakers from Greenwood Lake NY). From there I played in many Garden State corps, Asbury Park Hurricanes, Windjammers, Royals, Black Watch, and then finally graduated to the Bayonne Bridgemen in 84 and 85. I was later brought to the Caballeros by my brother Al in 86 and have been here ever since.

Small world. As I am reading this, I see the name and realize that I marched with your aunt in Finleyville in 1974.

Walter Street

Similar to your story, I, too, became a drum corps fanatic and member through my family.

Mine is a three generation story. My grandparents, Delphine Maslanski and George Gaminski (the -ski dropped off some time later), met while marching in a Cleveland-area Polish Legion of American Veterans corps during the late 1940's. I believe my great-uncle Dan Maslanski (later Masland. Lot of name changing goin' on here for some reason) also met his wife Marcy in the same corps.

Three decades later, my uncle Bruce Gamin marched with the Cleveland Buckeyes, Toledo Glassmen, and the 27th Lancers. My aunt Diana Schweitzer (sp?) marched with the Finleyville Royal Crusaders and the Blue Stars. They met when both taught the Buckeye State Caballaros in the early 1980's.

Now it's been my turn, having marched with the Glassmen and Empire Statesmen. I didn't meet my wife Rachel in corps, although she got quite the crash course in the activity as we met shortly before the summer of '02, my last year with the Statesmen.

Small world. As I am reading this, I see the name and realize that I marched with your aunt in Finleyville in 1974.

Walter Street

My uncle got mentioned in the thread about the bell rack used by '75 27th Lancers, too, so it's a day for my family today. :D

I was watching a parade at the age of 4or5 and when I saw a drum corps coming down the street with the drum line out front and I knew right then that's what I wanted to do,play snare in a drum corps. Started taking lessons at 7 and marched in Sanborn jr. fire company band till I was 12 and finally found a ride to join a corps and have never looked back.

Edited by zarblap