Classical music in DCA?

One genre I'd love to see taken out on the field is that of the British brass band library. Tons of great tunes arranged for brass, and it would bring a new sound that hasn't been heard yet.

Not in DCA anyway. in DCI, the Cadets flirted with brass band stuff in 1997.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One genre I'd love to see taken out on the field is that of the British brass band library. Tons of great tunes arranged for brass, and it would bring a new sound that hasn't been heard yet.

Amen brother. I have been listening to the Brasscast podcast and bought a few cds of some of the british brass bands I heard there. Real meat and potatoes stuff, not for the meek. But outside of some the old classics I am not sure about how it would sell to the average DCA fan. Just judging from some of the responses in this thread I am thinking that this meaty but at times subtle and dry music might be a better fit for DCI. I'm speaking of the contest literature, but british brass bands also do a fair amount of public concerts where lighter material such as broadway tunes are often played.

A good site to see what the british brass band world is up to is 4barsrest.com.

Star United best brass at DCA. All trained musicians.

No they weren't - far from it.

Star number one.

By my comment I meant they were not all trained musician. But yes, they were the best playing group there.

Star United best brass at DCA. All trained musicians.

Yeah, we are trained.......potty trained.

Well, at least for the most part. There are one or two who....... Nevermind.

Star United was potty trained?????

(######..............THAT'S how they beat us! We need to get to work on that, fellas....)

:P

...if you get "bored to tears" from hearing Beethoven 6, or even Eric Whitacre's "Sleep", well I guess you're just missing out then. There's more to music than masturbatory trumpet heavy "latin" jazz.

Allrighty then. Well, if you'll excuse me, I'd like a few moments of privacy with "La Fiesta".

There hae been some great Sunriser shows going back to the 70's with symphonic literature..."Procession of the Nobles" comes to mind immediately, as does the Walton "Folk Song Suite". "Russian Sailor's Dance"...."Dance of the Tumblers"..."Crown Imperial"....they have done some great stuff over time.

They did a very nice Holsinger show in the 90's as well...

hmmmm....would have to check corpsreps for more...those just come to mind off the top.

Oh, yes....I think they did "Moorside March" in 1990....I did some DCA judging that year and I seem to remember them doing that tune.

Absolutely correct..... Moorside March was 1990.

"Procession" is a Sunriser classic dating back to 1969. In fact, I think that was the year the corps had the nickname "The Long Island Conservatory of Music."

Sun won its first three DCA titles (1977, 1978, 1982) playing Folk Song Suite for the opener.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Star United was potty trained?????

(######..............THAT'S how they beat us! We need to get to work on that, fellas....)

:P

Can you use a wee wee pad for a prop? Or do they not let props in mini corps? b**bs

All kidding aside, I think the person who started this thread was looking to ruffle feathers. It also appears he hasn' t been around the block. I would believe some of the best Drum Corps moments accured during classical productions. Adagio, New World Symphony, Planets. In fact they seem to be the ones to stand out more then most. Albeit, Spanish Fantesy, La Fiesta, Malaguena and songs of that ilk also seemed to balance things out nicely.

Some corps actually play a little bit of everything within their programs. Renegades, Cabs, et al. Now there is the real challange. To go from a symphonic feel to jazz to orchestrial or even Rock all within a single program!