Madison Scouts announce 2007 design team

Hey if their that loyal to an individual or staff and they think that their making the best decision for themselves, then right on. Do I agree with it, no, but hey, if that is how deep loyalty runs, then they might as well go and see how they handle auditioning in Allentown, or wherever they may go.

It's not Allentown where these guys will be agoin' cause he's not the one who brought 'em to Madison!!

Edited by CowboyKen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as though dillwatcher is an expert on what the Scouts need. You are very angry about the changes. Are you a disgruntled fan or perhaps not a Scouts fan? The new staff has the potential to be a great team. It is very exciting to see these people together. It's going to take a lot of hard work. I believe that with this group the sky is the limit.

RF

and by the way, the others weren't eliminated. THEY QUIT!

actually, from what ive heard they get rehired each year by the executive director so technically they werent locked in for 2007 so technically they didnt quit. what they did do was protest the letting go of sal salas by stating that they would not return (if asked).

what they did do was protest the letting go of sal salas by stating that they would not return (if asked).

This is pure speculation. Who is your source on this nugget of wisdom. Is "they" referring to everybody on staff, or a couple of people on staff. I would guess that a few people left because of Sal. I would guess that some were looking for a reason to move on with their life. I would imagine that some decided to leave before Sal. I would also guess that a few of the staff members want to, and will stay with Madison.

Protest? Please. Once you know, factually, the reason that Sal isn't returning, and once I see how many of the staff apply to come back, I'll be more comfortable with you putting words in the entire staff's mouths.

Edited by Jonny

This is pure speculation. Who is your source on this nugget of wisdom. Is "they" referring to everybody on staff, or a couple of people on staff. I would guess that a few people left because of Sal. I would guess that some were looking for a reason to move on with their life. I would imagine that some decided to leave before Sal. I would also guess that a few of the staff members want to, and will stay with Madison.

Protest? Please. Once you know, factually, the reason that Sal isn't returning, and once I see how many of the staff apply to come back, I'll be more comfortable with you putting words in the entire staff's mouths.

I think he's basing his comment on statements made on DCP in other threads by staff members and corps members and board members themselves.. back when the 2006 Madison Scouts Drama began a few months ago.

Stef

[/quote

Other than many people on the Scouts BOD, Alumni, & fans not being pleased with the direction the Scouts were taking,

( & I gotta believe that those hideous guard uni's were part of it, along with the loss of the corp tradition & identity),

what IS the reason that Sal was fired?

Other than many people on the Scouts BOD, Alumni, & fans not being pleased with the direction the Scouts were taking,

( & I gotta believe that those hideous guard uni's were part of it, along with the loss of the corp tradition & identity),

I am sorry I don't understand what some people mean by the tradition of the Scouts. New Uniforms? last I checked Madison had many different uniforms before the mid 90's and late 80's. Which corps tradition or identity are talking about? The fact that Sal had gotten the corps new pit equipment for the first time in over ten years when other corps' have, or is it that he made sure the guys were eating properly by gettin the corps its first full size food truck. Or could it be the fact they were even wwearing new uniforms for the first time in 0 years not design change but simoly new pants and coats. I would have to think that the board would have to wpprove of the uniform changes as well. Could it be that Sal moved the corps from practicing on a parking lot to sleeping and practicing at UW whitewater. See to me he did an excelent job in protecting the brotherhood. So Sal had decided to step away from latin jazz and try to do something out of the corps' recent identity. that to me is being inovative.

Now I do wish the staff well and hope they continue on what has been establshed by Sal and keep some of the great ideas of Scott during the early to middle part of his tenure. But at the same time bring in their own great ideas.

Shannon

I am sorry I don't understand what some people mean by the tradition of the Scouts. New Uniforms? last I checked Madison had many different uniforms before the mid 90's and late 80's. Which corps tradition or identity are talking about? The fact that Sal had gotten the corps new pit equipment for the first time in over ten years when other corps' have, or is it that he made sure the guys were eating properly by gettin the corps its first full size food truck. Or could it be the fact they were even wwearing new uniforms for the first time in 0 years not design change but simoly new pants and coats. I would have to think that the board would have to wpprove of the uniform changes as well. Could it be that Sal moved the corps from practicing on a parking lot to sleeping and practicing at UW whitewater. See to me he did an excelent job in protecting the brotherhood. So Sal had decided to step away from latin jazz and try to do something out of the corps' recent identity. that to me is being inovative.

Now I do wish the staff well and hope they continue on what has been establshed by Sal and keep some of the great ideas of Scott during the early to middle part of his tenure. But at the same time bring in their own great ideas.

Shannon

Whoa.. how did my name get on that quote? I never said that!

Shannon

Those things are all very important. I think Sal did a good job of taking the corps from point A to point B.

*** I'm not associated with the Scouts and am just speculating***

To me it seems, however, that the board felt perhaps he wasn't the right person to take the corps to the next point or level.

While with Glassmen he helped them get to 5th, but they couldn't maintian or get past that point. While those shows were well done, they aren't my personal favorites in tems of excitment and energy.

What was missing for me from the Scouts the last 4 years was that energy and excitement I and many long time fans expect from them. The specific music or even the uniforms aren't the point for me. It's that unique mystique that comes when a certain corps takes the field that has been missing.

BD may not play jazz much any more, but they still have a certain sound. Cavies push the visual envelope, Phantom still maintians its unique symphonic sound. All the top corps have transitioned (and led the way) into 21st century drum corps while still maintianing their respective "Identities."

I think this is where Madison has had trouble.

Edited by shawn craig