The Renegades-Rule, revisited

As a North Eastern resident / drum corps guy, I am EMBARRASSED at how we are missrepresented by a few select "Good Ole Boys™" who feel that they must maintain and absolute stranglehold on the entire drum corps world. When the whole thing finally comes crashing down in a fire of eternal suck, they probably STILL won't realize that it was their fault all along.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the plot sickens......where is an official reply from anyone from Hawthorne, Empire or elsewhere? "fess up folks!

the silence is deafening....

This is an idiotic rule :doh:

Bill

in their defense ( what little they have) silence is the smartest thing they could do next to eliminating this proposal.

( and for the record Gil, I didn't leak this and didn't know about it until i logged onto DCP :P )

this, IMO is ####### stupid, and really does back up more than a few accusations made by non NE folks.

color me very dissapointed for even seeing it proposed.

I think I'm gonna join a wind ensemble and be done.

:(

Of course, then I could get on here and say EXACTLY what I think.

Edited by CVQuesty

I will not condone or criticize Lee for taking this public.... However, democracy is DCA's way..... every 2 years the corps get to propose any rules or by-laws changes they wish to be considered... all suggested revisions must be given to the directors 30 days before the January rules congress... therefore, now is the time that proposals are being submitted...

These proposals almost always come from the directors themselves or their staff members... on rare occasion they can be proposed by the judging fraternity... almost NEVER is a change proposed by management... They are pretty much out of this process...

The fact that a corps or two have proposed a change in membership is not a problem... it is quite normal... I'm sure it will get due consideration and discussion and then the majority will rule... or in this case 2/3's will rule as it is a by law change and would require 2/3 vote to pass...

I recommend the following:

1. Don't ##### until and if it passes... it's only a "suggestion" at this point folks... over the years I've seen some pretty stupid suggestions... and yes, I've seen some I think were pretty stupid - pass... but it was rare... you're putting the cart before the horse...

2. Don't blame the officers of DCA... they had NOTHING to do with this proposal...

3. This is hardly a George Hopkins Saxophone proposal... it's a suggestion that DCA go back to 10 voting members as it had for decades... Personally, I would hope it fails... but it's not all that far off the wall for two corps with a combined membership amounting to about 70 years in DCA to suggest a change...

4. DCA's Proposal/rules congress system is fully functional and amazingly successful... if every proposal is picked apart in a public forum for 2 or 3 months before the rules congress - the system will grind to an unsuccessful halt... While I'm not one for secrecy - this is all counter productive and risks ruining a very successful system...

5. That being said - if it ain't broke - don't fix it... I like the current membership criteria... as I look at the voting membership list - it would seem doubtful that this should cause anyone to worry...

yeah that's what they said about amps ....."shouldn't be cause for worry"

:P

Just a reminder to all stationed West of Chicago.

The Sierra Rabbits from Auburn, CA membership is nearly full with well known mascots representing, split pea soup to green dino gas. Not to mention the The Snapettes from somewhere in NW Canada are in discussions with the Other Snapettes Minature Pony Drill Team from Redwood City,CA to boot up for 2007 season. Where all waiting for a the official vote from the BOD of our Sister Corps, The Saint Licks Bag Pipe Jazz Band.

That might mean 3 to 4 more corps competing on the West Coast in addition to the RCR, Dream and Renegades. BTW has anybody seen the latest clip from the Kingsmen during the parade this past weekend? Wow! The Kingsmen vibe is back! Make it 5 new corps for 2007.

Mom

I will not condone or criticize Lee for taking this public.... However, democracy is DCA's way..... every 2 years the corps get to propose any rules or by-laws changes they wish to be considered... all suggested revisions must be given to the directors 30 days before the January rules congress... therefore, now is the time that proposals are being submitted...

These proposals almost always come from the directors themselves or their staff members... on rare occasion they can be proposed by the judging fraternity... almost NEVER is a change proposed by management... They are pretty much out of this process...

The fact that a corps or two have proposed a change in membership is not a problem... it is quite normal... I'm sure it will get due consideration and discussion and then the majority will rule... or in this case 2/3's will rule as it is a by law change and would require 2/3 vote to pass...

I recommend the following:

1. Don't ##### until and if it passes... it's only a "suggestion" at this point folks... over the years I've seen some pretty stupid suggestions... and yes, I've seen some I think were pretty stupid - pass... but it was rare... you're putting the cart before the horse...

2. Don't blame the officers of DCA... they had NOTHING to do with this proposal...

3. This is hardly a George Hopkins Saxophone proposal... it's a suggestion that DCA go back to 10 voting members as it had for decades... Personally, I would hope it fails... but it's not all that far off the wall for two corps with a combined membership amounting to about 70 years in DCA to suggest a change...

4. DCA's Proposal/rules congress system is fully functional and amazingly successful... if every proposal is picked apart in a public forum for 2 or 3 months before the rules congress - the system will grind to an unsuccessful halt... While I'm not one for secrecy - this is all counter productive and risks ruining a very successful system...

5. That being said - if it ain't broke - don't fix it... I like the current membership criteria... as I look at the voting membership list - it would seem doubtful that this should cause anyone to worry...

Tom, with all due respect, you are missing the point, and your suggestion to wait to speak up until this bylaw passes is misguided.

The point here is that it is damaging to DCA for any corps administration to even consider passing a bylaw intended to marginalize and hurt one DCA competitor -- a corps that helped DCA get fans into the seats at every DCA World Championships since 2002, not to mention the exploratory show in North Carolina and the I&E Competition -- important events that several top DCA corps choose to boycott.

My friends, we are not talking about an instrumentation change that affects all DCA corps, and we are not talking about a rules change that affects all DCA corps outside the NE region equally. We are talking about an attempt to marginalize and harm one DCA corps. Who is next on the list? Minnesota Brass? CorpsVets?

The writing is on the wall for the future of DCA, unless we all decide to work together for the future success of all of our corps.

You can add SoCal Dream to the Big NO!!!!!

:lol: Oh wait, we don't get a vote. :worthy:

This proposal is by far one of the lamest things I have recently seen.

I am speaking for myself and not for the corps I work for, altough I'm sure the rest of the staff would agree.

Get this proposal off the books, it does nothing positive for the future of DCA.

You can add SoCal Dream to the Big NO!!!!!

:lol: Oh wait, we don't get a vote. :worthy:

We should....I've never understood the rationale of not giving a vote to each competitor....in DCI or DCA....
This proposal is by far one of the lamest things I have recently seen. I am speaking for myself and not for the corps I work for, altough I'm sure the rest of the staff would agree.

Get this proposal off the books, it does nothing positive for the future of DCA.

You speak for me as well....and consider this......if RCR and SCD suddenly start having the golden show everhy year and make top 10...yet still don't do a sanctioned DCA show outside of nats....we still get no vote...particularly if one of the three of us skip a year at DCA....could lose the regional sanction.

So this could affect more than just Renegades.

if a corps competed in DCA sheets against other DCA corps, they shpuld get a vote....period.

I heard the same kind of political crap when I was with Empire in 87.....the more things change...