Hazing Rituals Over The Years

There is a stark difference between what one would consider hazing and what one would consider tradition. Tradition implies something beneficial for the development of new members in an effort to assimilate them with the "Veteran family". It is because of that that Hazing (I am assuming it is used with the worst thoughts circulating in one's mind) has pretty much been stamped out. As other's have said, it is mostly to the point to where anyone who does not wish to participate in a "rookie night" or some sort of tradition does not have to.

I believe the worst "hazing" you can expect would be the daily beatings from corps staff and the pursuit of making yourself better throughout the season.

Rookie Talent night is awesome. Any corps besides Magic have suicide run's? The goal is for someone to start at the front of the bus and try to run to the back, while everyone who is sitting tries to hit them, or rip of clothes. Brutal, but fun.

Rookie's at Magic were required to either do a rookie talent, or a suicide run. I should say that several corps have been known to have pillow parties (or pillow fight's) when a member is not doing their best for the corps.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crotch full of shaving cream and tooth paste while you sleep ;)...

I dominated Suicide Runs on my rookie night... except I got my shorts ripped off... victory was mine though

Edited by xXDSFLXx

Things were indeed different some time ago regarding "initiations" or hazing to rook's. Some of the sadistic intent has been taken out of it from the nutcases

who seem to get a thrill taping up someones buttcheeks or stuff like that... :P And getting a wedgie or having some humiliating thing done to you has

taken a back seat to rookies simply being "seen and not heard" most of the time, which is prolly good for the most part the first year or so... :blink:

In my case, I was initiated to the corps (along with all other rook's) by having to crawl out blindfolded to an area in front of the corps, and all along the way

were "traps" or distractions (ie: a carefully set up tarp with left over mac & cheese and that kinda stuff) you would crawl through if you took a wrong turn or

direction. Someone twirling a flag in front of you would throw you off course, etc. etc. and a blast from a baritone (or whatever) nearby would freak you out.

Ultimately you would be center stage (so to speak) and have to hum or whistle a corps song or something like that, where upon completion you were welcomed

in as a good sport and "veteran of the humiliation phase" of being a part of the group. In other words, you now knew what it was like to be knocked down a notch

or two in front of everyone, and you survived, so anything else would be tame in comparison. The thought ultimately being that if you blew a part or had a bad step

off or whatever, you could own up to it. I don't know if it actually worked that way, but that was the thought, anyway.

As initiation into a section (went from tenor to snare) I was forced to wear a lacy bra (over my shirt) and a pair of panties (over my pants) that had fringe and the

words "Hot Stuff" on them... all day. That sucked. Kinda like how rookie baseball players have to carry "Barbie" backpacks for a week and all that...

In todays world, mom's and dad's would hear of this and call their lawyers immediately...

I don't rememeber snuggies as hazing.,...more like punishment from the vets when a rookie screwed up badly (or in my case...once just for BEING a rookie, once for inturrupting Mike Mixley during an after-retreat talk, and once on my birthday...I think I still hold teh BD record..)

As long as you did your gig to the best of your ability and admit with you ticked (flicking a finger on the bell of the horn or dropping to do push-ups without being told) all was cool....it was the other stupid stuff that earned a snuggie.

Ah yes, the birthday mega-snuggie. Mine wasn't for being a rookie, but for being the baritone soloist. You don't believe it's possible for someone to remove your underwear without taking your pants off until it happens to you.

I didn't mean that as a negative question to you, it was just that she/he asked the question in regards to the present/future. You mentioned stuff that happened in the 70's (which I guess is relevant to the "over the years" part of the title), but as if it was what someone in the modern times "can" expect. Didn't mean to come across demeaning to the 70's or anything.

I assure you that things aren't "not relaxed" in present times, haha. We have our share of interesting stories and whatnot too. :)

"Wedgies" aren't really a prevalent social occurance in today's drum corps world, or in our general society either.

Jared, I was just answering the originals posters question, "Hazing Rituals Over The Years !"

I realize that there are things that we did that todays corps don't do. Times change and so do "Hazing Rituals"

we called them "Initiation", once you've been got, no one can touch you again.

We had fun but we also had limits to what we would do. B)

There is not, and never has been, any hazing in drum corps. :)

Edited by Ahamay Oton

it depends on where you march but i'm sure every corps has something at some level (maybe not traditional hazing) that first year members go through. Maybe limitations on what a rookie can do or can't do: BD bending the knees, getting your corps jacket, when you can wear your corps jacket, being an initiate, rookie talent night, an actual "initiation night", or even having to pay an extra 100 dollars at some corps for it being your first year...

i would find it very hard to believe that there is any corps where 1st year members are held at the same level as everyone else...

aside from that, i think the amount of hell you're put through depends on one's level of deuchebaggery.

-christopher

Edited by L1STEN2311