I wake up to drum corps each and every morning

So there's this application called "Awaken" that essentially lets you create alarms to go off at specified times and day sof the week. But the coolest part about this is, if you don't want to use one of the sounds they provide as your alarm, you can choose a randomly selected track from any one of your iTunes playlists. I have a smart playlist called "Top Drum Corps" which is about 65 or so of my favorite drum corps shows (the ones I rated four stars or five stars on iTunes), so each and every morning, I'm awoken by a glorious blast of brass and percussion. It's quite possibly one of the best ideas I've ever had.

When I used to use just a regular alarm, the sound was so annoying that I would jump out of bed, run to the clock, and turn it off. And because I hadn't fully woken up yet, I would go back to bed and fall asleep. But now, I can stay in bed while basking my ears in the sounds of an amazing drum corps show, and by the time it's over, I'm fully woken up and ready to start my day. This morning it was Phantom Regiment 2006 (at full volume)...the opening hit nearly gave me a heart attack! :P

Unfortunately, the program is Mac only, but if you're one of the lucky few Mac users on DCP, you can find it here.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Set it for BD '96, and see how many calls you get from ######-off neighbors. ^0^

Looks awesome, thanks a lot for the link. I downloaded it, and I'll definitely be putting it until use after the weekend. Since my 'computer speakers' are the same thing as my stereo speakers, I usually just put my stereo on a sleep timer (with the computer playing the music), and then have the CD setting wake me up in the morning, but it'll definitely be nice to get my itunes to turn off and on (and not need to use a CD to wake me up). Been waiting for something like this for a while, actually....thanks a lot.

I wonder what spouses and significant others (or those that spend significant mornings sleeping over) think of this idea. Might be a good way to get rid of that pesky gf or bf that has been spending too much time at your place.

I wake up to drum corps too- My alarm clock lets you wake up to a CD, so I put in "Ornaments in Brass" and set it to track 6- Phantom regiment playing "Amazing Grace." It starts out slow, so I am not startled, but the blaring melody about 1:21 in jolts me awake. I can't think of any better way to start the day.

Eh they can get over it. After all, if you haven't gotten your roommate addicted to drum corps by this late in the semester, they deserve to get their face rocked every morning.

oh, I turned one of my roommates into a huge drum corps fan. But be honest, if your Monday morning class is at 10, you wouldn't want your roommate to wake up to RFL drum corps at 7:15 so s/he can get to their 8am on time, thus waking you up in the process. :P