How to Keep people out of DCA

I do miss Tom Peashey on these discussion

Fred Windish was also making positive steps in communication, but I don't believe he is still in the same role, and maybe that role is still empty at DCA

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit trying to make this argument something it's not. Don't try to pretend like I didn't list other corps, and in case you didn't know, "et al" means "And everyone else".

Wasn' this arguement about the "renegades rule," which, according to Lee only affects the Renegades? or am I mistaken?

Further, if this rule is only about Renegades (which, I don't think it is) then you wouldn't be getting rid of the "et al"........yes, I agree fully it would be sad to ONLY have the top ten corps, but jsut becuase there are only 10, doesn't mean it's no longer "DCA"

Wasn' this arguement about the "renegades rule," which, according to Lee only affects the Renegades? or am I mistaken?

Further, if this rule is only about Renegades (which, I don't think it is) then you wouldn't be getting rid of the "et al"........yes, I agree fully it would be sad to ONLY have the top ten corps, but jsut becuase there are only 10, doesn't mean it's no longer "DCA"

You responded to MY post as if I was making it all about the Renegades. While, of the current top 10, this rule only effects us, over all, it does affect other corps, and really, since it does nothing to GROW the activity, it really affects everyone. HOWEVER, MY post was not about the Renegades only, and you responded to it as if it was. I think you are mistaken about this subject matter, but that's my opinion.

I disagree with your understanding of this subject. You obvoiusly disagree with mine.

Rock on.

I have an unnamed source (think West Wing) in MBI that says they are working with the decision makers to change the bylaw wording to not exclude any one corps. I also have it that pretty much none of said decision makers and corps managers even read DCP.

I encourage you to contact your corps up-and-ups and ask them about this issue directly to see what their stance on it is. As someone has said earlier there is only one side of the argument being "debated" here and it also seems like everyone's mind is already made up on who the bad guys are. The answers are not always that easy.

Sounds a lot like politics. Everything gets polarized on one or two key topics (gay marriage for instance) even though there are hundreds of other things that are more important than what people do in the privacy of their own homes (like recreational drug use.)

Standard Disclaimer: I by no means represent MBI, my views are my own, blah blah blah, I'm not even marching next year. Anyone looking to buy or sell a house? I'm now a full-time Realtor. (I can help even if you don't live in the Twin Cities. That's Minneapolis and St. Paul if you are from the West or East Coast and not here in fly-over-land.)

Disclaimer II: I love the Renegades, I hate performing after the Renegades at DCA because they love you guys out there, I don't support a rule that excludes you but sometimes think you guys go too far at trying to be rebels and evil.

Good luck to every marching member next year! I can't wait to spectate again!

You responded to MY post as if I was making it all about the Renegades. While, of the current top 10, this rule only effects us, over all, it does affect other corps, and really, since it does nothing to GROW the activity, it really affects everyone. HOWEVER, MY post was not about the Renegades only, and you responded to it as if it was. I think you are mistaken about this subject matter, but that's my opinion.

I disagree with your understanding of this subject. You obvoiusly disagree with mine.

Rock on.

actually, my response was to Sara's post, but it's all good....we can debate day and night here, but I doubt it will change anyones vote come January.............although tehre WAS that one time when George changed his mind in the current events forum because of what he read on DCP, so maybe there IS hope yet!!! :P

Thanks for all the kind words... I'm alive and well, but totally out of the loop on DCA... I have confidence that - and remember I have no idea what really is being proposed (the details of it) - the directors will continue to do what is RIGHT for DCA. Someone mentioned that inspite of my allegiances to Crusaders and Brigadiers as well as long judging career, I always seemed to give first priority to the best interest of DCA. I take that as a compliment. I do believe that having been so deeply involved in more than one corps and on four ends of the spectrum of the activity (performer, director, judge and administrator) has allowed me a bit more global approach to the activity...

That being said, it is my opinion that discussing proposals to be addressed at the rules congress in a public forum is not in the best interest of anyone. Here is my reasoning... DCA's system is that ANYONE (director, instructor, judge, administrator) can propose a change. It doesn't even have to be seconded... The directors get 30 days in advance to weed through the proposals and investigate what might work. Then, it is properly discussed at the rules congress. Over the years, some off the wall proposals have simply caused a "snicker" or two on the first day of the congress and been put aside quickly. This system allows for creative ideas to be thrown out even if they are deemed to be too far ahead of their time... some will resurface later when the time seems right.

Once in a while, a radical thought - like the share point system giving funds to ALL corps who compete in DCA sanctioned shows - sneaks in somewhat undetected and in this case, mostly ignored because everyone reading it figured "no way... this is a waste of time"...

When we got into the meeting, a few cool heads including Mickey Petrone said in the discussion that this just might be something we should look at for the "betterment of the activity". A committee was appointed on the spot (I was on it) and we met that night and hammered out the details of a proposal to give to the group the next morning... It was refreshing and passed quickly... Going into that first morning - even I said NO WAY, this is a waste of time... fortunately - I was wrong.

Now, had that been beat to death on the internet for the month or two before the congress... with members of "older line dca corps" questioning why they should lose $$$$ to new upstart corps, or questioning why a corps with 30 members should get the same share point as a corps with 128 members, I guarantee you that enough polarization would have occured one way or another that there would have been NO chance of this passing...

Public and premature discussions that polarize people for or against any proposal negate the ability of a system for change that has worked well for over 40 years to continue to work today...

I hope everyone has a great and peaceful Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday period and does a great job at the January rules congress and gets all corps off to a rousing start for 2007 season.

The directors get 30 days in advance to weed through the proposals and investigate what might work. Then, it is properly discussed at the rules congress.

Quoting the "I didn't know that" part of the post. I was guessing that the directors, or whoever is at the meetings, get the proposals "cold" unless they happen to catch something thru the grapevine. At least, there is time to think things out and prepare questions in advance. (#### sounds like my wife at the doctors office with her list of questions.)

And putting DCA ahead of Brigs/Cru/whoever was meant as a compliment. Could have mentioned your work with Patriots as another example of how to look at the "big picture". FWIW, I spent a bunch of years hanging with the smaller corps (RCA, ICA) which lately I've realized has given me a different perspective on Drum Corps. (Yeah, I'm one of those people who thinks Class A is one of the smartest things DCA has done in the last 10 years or so. :P )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari