How to Keep people out of DCA

Oh good it's not just me then. On the surface I'm thinking "This #### makes no sense, it's a step backwards". Then the voice in the back of my mind is thinking "OK Jimbo, people going to this meeting ain't stupid. What am I missing here?" As a ex-DCA corps member and current DCA fan and supporter I'm hoping for an explaination after the meeting.

w/Stp:

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to the good old days when the conspiracy theory included high dollar contracts, recruiting violations and monorails....

:blink:

you lost the bingo license :P

Why is it that SaraNYC is the only one who's allowed to post to this forum with thinly veiled personal attacks on people and corps with impunity? She reminds me of "Catherine" who loved to sit at her keyboard and poke people in the back with sharp sticks. I don't want this place to become a RAMD. This discussion has been good thing so far, but the microscopic set of confirmed facts is being driven to places well beyond merit.

:blink: Geena Wacker

if it's an issue, hit the report button. i for one called her out once and she apologized.

Jeff, I think I have an answer to this. It's just my opinion but I think it may have some merit.

I think it is the rise of Corps from the South more than anything. The Renegades were already there and the fact that it hurts them the most is merely a side affect. The fact is that each year sees more and more Corps springing up in Southern states. These Corps are proving to have what it takes to "play the game" and become voting members of DCA. The NE Corps would like to prevent this from happening so they are trying to change the rules to maintain their stranglehold on DCA. If more Southern or Western Corps become voting members, the before long the "Good 'Ole Boys" club of the traditional NE Corps may loose their majority voting power within DCA. I truly think that they are afraid of what that means for them. They would no longer rule over DCA and might have to abide by rules changes that take them out of their "Comfort Zone". I don't believe that the Southern or Western Corps are trying to take over DCA and if they did gain a majority vote I don't really see that there would be any major rules changes beyond those affecting fairness of competition amongst all Corps.

here's where i disagree.

y'all doa great job of making sure you get your required shows in. the West can't......they have none within a thousand miles or so

Good idea, but in order for thre West folks to have a vote, there must be a region...and the rukles right now don't allow us to form one.

Relax the sanctioning rule to allow a region to be sanctioned so long as there are three competing corps, and you have it...right now, the three must go to DCA...and that may kill a corps or two, rendering the snacitoning issue moot.

so proposal a change that helps you get a region

This issue goes far beyond casting a vote, but rather, it has critical implications for the future of senior corps.

If a drum corps organization can pass formal legislation that effectively removes one corps voice in the organization, what message does that send to all corps? What implications does that have for the future stability and growth of the organization?

The philosophical decision that must be made here, is whether DCA is a national organization that stands for collective assistance and growth, or a small regional organzation controlled by a few corps that holds a show that everyone comes to once a year.

If it is the latter, that is perfectly fine. However, that also means that the senior corps activity's need for a national organization is not being filled, and perhaps we need something that can accompolish that task, perhaps Drum Corps United.

It doesn't mean that any corps should move away from DCA, ever. But it does mean that we may need to re-align our long-term thinking and strategy regarding what steps need to be taken to ensure the continued growth and expansion of senior corps throughout the United States (all regions).

I meant in more concrete terms than messages and thought alignment. In the end, people will play drum corps and hopefully do well and maybe this year it won't rain. Somebody wins and then there's a party. Does it have to be more complicated?

It's just more of the same from a DCA that has always been out of sync with just about everything. It's momentum, objects at rest tend to stay at rest. DCU is long overdue and I hope it goes well.

But, who shouted from the rooftops about the rule that says if a corps has less competitive success than others or a corps isn't big enough, then it doesn't get a vote? Maybe DCU can be the one corps organization not based on competition. That would be cool.

so proposal a change that helps you get a region

If teh political climate in the voting part of DCA is indicated by the stupid restrictive proposal we've been talkking about here, it would be pointless...DCA would have to show that it was even willing to entertain a more inclusive outlook to us out west....otherwise I'd be wasting my time.

Plus...i don;t know if an individual can submit...if it's has to come from a corps, I'm out, as i don;t speak for Dream.

well you never know if you dont try.

while i'm not sure what the hell is behind this proposal, i do know this:

10 years ago, people decided start a senior corps on the west coast, and people laughed.

but they tried.

AND they succeeded.

well you never know if you dont try.

while i'm not sure what the hell is behind this proposal, i do know this:

10 years ago, people decided start a senior corps on the west coast, and people laughed.

but they tried.

AND they succeeded.

I agree on all counts...however, while I may offer the sanctioning rule change proposal, I am definitely NOT the proper party to bring this to the table...it would best be a joint proposal by the western and posisbly southwestern corps who would be most affected.

if the travel rule was relaxed considering the distances we must travel, we could have a sanctioned DCA show out here and renegades would hsve their vote...rendering the other proposal moot.

i dont see any bias in the judging, and i dont see a ton of world class facilities that can draw the amount of fans we get in the NE lining up to host finals.

If they are really as great of fans as you say,,then they will be willing to travel to see the shows. :)