How to Keep people out of DCA

What is the worst that could happen? What is being voted on that is so integral to the survival drum corps as we know it? While I understand that no one feels good about being left out, aren't feelings all that is really at stake here? Not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. Please, someone spell out the life or death implications of all this.

I'll bite....

#1...The lack of the ability of any corps to vote on rthe future of their activity....potentially, that could be the Renegades themselves even if they were to win a championship,

#2...corps from waaaay out of the NE area deciding it's not worth it to expend all that cash to go out to compete in a venue where their voice is no heard....no one wants to be a token.

#3...less corps going out means asmaller DCA....thus DCA would be more directly responsible for ther decline of itself than DCI is usually accused of.

This proposal is a monumentally BAD idea...for EVERYONE.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wise voice!!!

While I may agree with many of the ideas expressed here, the voters are the ones who will discuss, debate, then vote. I do enjoy reading caring corps nuts express their views, but let's keep in mind the obvious: The Rules Congress is the place to settle any and all proposal changes.

Peace out! (Tryin' to be hip.)

P.S.: Leaving now for BOA in Indy at the RrrCccAaa Dome. :sshh:

I'm gonna miss so much of this hot discussion. Much to catch up on next week.

Call me at BR-549 if you wish to express more of your opinions. :blink:

Let me offer an oppossing view, my friend. My position is that the Rule whereby everyone must stay off the Internet and avoid any public discussion of issues that are important to OUR drum corps activity is silly.

The Internet is not something to fear. It is a valuable tool of communication, where for the first time in drum corps history, the people running the activity a direct line of communication with the fans and corps members ... and vice versa.

We should use it.

Let me preface this by saying that I think all participating senior corps should have a voice and a vote in DCA and the same goes for juniors and DCI.

But, assuming this goes through and some corps no longer get to vote in DCA...

What is the worst that could happen? What is being voted on that is so integral to the survival drum corps as we know it? While I understand that no one feels good about being left out, aren't feelings all that is really at stake here? Not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. Please, someone spell out the life or death implications of all this.

It's called "Balance of Power". If the proposal is in fact a direct attempt to tilt the scales toward East Coast Rule, then there is a huge problem. If it all starts with a vote of disclusion, the next logical step is to form additional rules that foster the same. Before you know it, the only voice of governance is that of DCA (East). The rest of us can take it or leave it.

Now that our brethren on the East coast have figured out that we (non NE corps) have been competing under a different umbrella all along, they have realized that there are more ways to make money and perform then to simply play "THE" game. By proposing a rule that (on the surface) fosters more growth by forcing additional DCA sanctioned shows, they have in fact done the opposite. Obviously, this wasn't incepted or discussed with very much forsight before it was proposed. Now we're looking at a huge fallout and the possiblity of the discluded picking up and leaving.

In the end, this is already rediculous. This isn't the same as DCI and DCA being formed as a seperation from VFW/AL. This is a wedge being driven between an old regime that will continue on (business as usual) and the rest of the New World of All Age Drum Corps.

I for one would be very upset at myself if I chose to go national and expand my company, only to tick off all of my franchisee's enough to leave the company and start a new one. Lost investment, lost revenue, lost relationships, lost expertise, lost market share ........ lost Value. The stock is plummeting! :blink:

But, assuming this goes through and some corps no longer get to vote in DCA...

By that same logic, there's no worthwhile reason to make the change in the first place. :blink:

Why would any Non-NE Corps want to be apart of this Drum Corps Accociates Organization? <**>

More Non-NE corps associated with DCI, better chance for DCI All Age Championships in Indy. ^OO^

No politics, no votes, no mininum requirements, no corps receives money, no special interest. ^OO^

Each corps responsible for travel and lodging like it is now. ^OO^

Prelims during the day, finals next day and receive awards. ^OO^

Stay and watch Division II/III and I prelims and championships if want. ^OO^

DCI make money and All Age get more exposure for grow. ^OO^

You hit the nail on the head.

I never understood the logic in travelling across the united states for a show, maybe two. I don't know much about the politics of drum corps in general, but as the average drum corps member from the west coast, I'd much rather stay on the west coast and participate with DCI, an organization who has been working with us now for several years. Maybe a champtionship in Denver? Why even bother with an organization that doesn't even want you? There are better options out there (that are more financially feasible).

Hi Mike,

Maybe it is because you guys haven't gone yet, but there is a magic around DCA Championships that is undeniable. Being around many generations of folks that love drum corps and performing is very different from what we get at DCI shows on the West Coast.

It's awesome, actually. Funner than DCI in some ways.

Hi Mike,

Maybe it is because you guys haven't gone yet, but there is a magic around DCA Championships that is undeniable. Being around many generations of folks that love drum corps and performing is very different from what we get at DCI shows on the West Coast.

and you can legally buy beer....

Small observation,

I assume this has not been put to an "official" vote since that is suppose to happen in January?

Anyway, I really hope that those whom have proposed this, and the rest of the DCA voting membership, have seen the multiple threads about this topic and possibly realize how, in general, most people are against this proposal. I also hope when they cast their vote, they represent the feelings of "the masses". After all isnt that what making the decisions are about?

I know that most would vote for whatever benefits them and their organization the best, and on the surface, that seems great. However, hopefully they can take a step back from that point of view and see that they are casting a vote that truely should represent what is best for ALL of the corps who compete under the DCA banner.

Cast your vote for what is right for the good of the entire activity, not for the good of just a few groups. Your vote affects many of us, corps members and fans alike.

Hi Mike,

Perhaps the scariest thought to some Senior.... Oooops All-Age people, is that some All Age corps will be spending quality with DCI and DCA will not be holding all the All Age cards. Perhaps some folks in control need a lesson in sharing.

"Funner than DCI in some ways" :P

OK, time for personal story *** WARNING - Boring Old Fart Alert **** 2002 DCA Prelims was my first DCA show in about ten years and I really didn't follow corps for about five years. I'm not paying too much attention until I hear the guy behind me say "This is the corps from San Francisco I told you about" I look at the scoreboard and Holy ####!!! a corps from Cal-i-forn-i-a. Then I hear "Too bad the Japanese corps didn't come this year" and my jaw hits the deck. After finding out about Class A, I think finally DCA has gotten it's #### together big time. Seeing a bunch of non-Eastern corps FINALLY, is a lot more funner and doing anything that would convince any corps to start away is just plain dumb....

makes no sense.

who ###### em off?

Jeff, I think I have an answer to this. It's just my opinion but I think it may have some merit.

I think it is the rise of Corps from the South more than anything. The Renegades were already there and the fact that it hurts them the most is merely a side affect. The fact is that each year sees more and more Corps springing up in Southern states. These Corps are proving to have what it takes to "play the game" and become voting members of DCA. The NE Corps would like to prevent this from happening so they are trying to change the rules to maintain their stranglehold on DCA. If more Southern or Western Corps become voting members, the before long the "Good 'Ole Boys" club of the traditional NE Corps may loose their majority voting power within DCA. I truly think that they are afraid of what that means for them. They would no longer rule over DCA and might have to abide by rules changes that take them out of their "Comfort Zone". I don't believe that the Southern or Western Corps are trying to take over DCA and if they did gain a majority vote I don't really see that there would be any major rules changes beyond those affecting fairness of competition amongst all Corps.