How to Keep people out of DCA

is there really any need to be insulting?

What part of that is insulting?

I mean if I go to a mechanic, I don't expec t him or her to tell me to buy a brand new Ferrari when my VW just needs new tires? If they did, I would be looking for a new mechanic. Or otherwise buy the t-shirt, book, program, video, kit, and do it all myself. Not to be insulting to that mechanic, but their goals and mine are obviously too diverse to co-exist.

-Does anyone in RCR know if they ever plan on going to DCA in any capacity? It would be fun if they came with us and maybe put a mini corps together.

To my knowledge they have planned on going to DCA for several years now. And to a limited extent, some of their membership has gone to DCA over the past couple years. It's just that they're one of the few corps not wanting to kill the corps in the monumental effort to take the expense/effort of going to DCA. Instructors and equipment first, then maybe DCA, as it should be.

-Also RCR did a wonderful job of hosting a Sr. Corps show last year. Maybe if all the Sr. Corps could do at least one, featuring not only the AA corps, but also the alumni corps then we can see what kinds of crowds we can bring without DCI. Also being that there are two Alumni corps in Cali Anaheim and Santa Clara, then maybe we can make a separate caption for the stand still and entice them to compete, not just exhibition.

Hosting a "show" is NOT equal to hosting a DCA "Sanctioned show". Unfortunately in some regions, without joining with DCI, you can have a DCA show, but there will only be two, maybe three corps at that show. And I don't think that the last leg format of DCM having four corps do their show twice back to back at the same show, should be something to be emulated. But that may just be me. I mean you can add all of the local rock bands to the roster that you want, but that still doesn't make it a DCA "Sanctioned" show.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge they have planned on going to DCA for several years now. And to a limited extent, some of their membership has gone to DCA over the past couple years. It's just that they're one of the few corps not wanting to kill the corps in the monumental effort to take the expense/effort of going to DCA. Instructors and equipment first, then maybe DCA, as it should be.

Hosting a "show" is NOT equal to hosting a DCA "Sanctioned show". Unfortunately in some regions, without joining with DCI, you can have a DCA show, but there will only be two, maybe three corps at that show. And I don't think that the last leg format of DCM having four corps do their show twice back to back at the same show, should be something to be emulated. But that may just be me. I mean you can add all of the local rock bands to the roster that you want, but that still doesn't make it a DCA "Sanctioned" show.

I understood that these were not DCA sactioned for the same (because we did not have the right number dca coups hence the question about RCR going to dca. I am sure would could take there equipment and help with other lagistical matters. Last year we worked with So Cal and it worked out great. In any sence I was commending them for starting somthing that focused on the AA corps, but thank your for the clarification on as I am new to this game.

-Does anyone in RCR know if they ever plan on going to DCA in any capacity? It would be fun if they came with us and maybe put a mini corps together.

It has been on the tentative schedule for the past couple of seasons, but gets tabled because the corps doesn't have the funding and/or not enough of the members can afford the extra personal expense and/or time off work.

It's on the schedule again this year, so we'll see how it goes. It will happen someday.

This conversation seems to be going in the wrong direction. If I may, let me just formally ask...

-Also RCR did a wonderful job of hosting a Sr. Corps show last year. Maybe if all the Sr. Corps could do at least one, featuring not only the AA corps, but also the alumni corps then we can see what kinds of crowds we can bring without DCI. Also being that there are two Alumni corps in Cali Anaheim and Santa Clara, then maybe we can make a separate caption for the stand still and entice them to compete, not just exhibition.

-Lastly as a member of SFR I have heard that there can be friction between our corps from time to time, from what I get everyone wishes there was not. Let me say publicly that I appreciate all the RCR brings to west coast competition. Without you and So Cal we would just be an exhibition. I personally can see how important you are to the whole picture and hope that things continue well for the two of us.

Drum Corps, UNITE!

Rick,

First of all, I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of your last paragraph.

The rest has been deleted because someone from RCR responded while I was composing my reply :-)

Edited by crpowell

But we still don't know exactly what is required for a "DCA-sanctioned show". It has never been spelled out in enough detail.

On one extreme, someone says the region must be sanctioned before any events in the region can be "sanctioned shows". Establishing a region, per the extreme example, might require three corps from that region to attend DCA Championships annually. So, for example, you could have a 2007 show in California with Renegades, RCR and Dream, then bring in Reading, Hawthorne, Empire, Bushwackers, a full slate of DCA judges flown in from the Northeast, Gil Silva handing out awards at finale and Fran Haring on the PA, and it still could not be a DCA-sanctioned show.

On the other extreme, someone else has said that three "member" corps can establish a region, and any show with three "member" corps constitutes a DCA show. That may include "full", "associate" or "affiliate" members. If that pans out, the West can establish a "DCA West" region as soon as RCR pays their $100 annual dues for affiliate membership. And any show with three or more DCA corps in it could become a "DCA-sanctioned show".

So which is it, DCA? Must the Western corps attend championships every year? Or will this whole fuss be resolved for $100? Sure would be nice if someone speaking on behalf of DCA could clarify that detail.

But we still don't know exactly what is required for a "DCA-sanctioned show". It has never been spelled out in enough detail.

On one extreme, someone says the region must be sanctioned before any events in the region can be "sanctioned shows". Establishing a region, per the extreme example, might require three corps from that region to attend DCA Championships annually. So, for example, you could have a 2007 show in California with Renegades, RCR and Dream, then bring in Reading, Hawthorne, Empire, Bushwackers, a full slate of DCA judges flown in from the Northeast, Gil Silva handing out awards at finale and Fran Haring on the PA, and it still could not be a DCA-sanctioned show.

On the other extreme, someone else has said that three "member" corps can establish a region, and any show with three "member" corps constitutes a DCA show. That may include "full", "associate" or "affiliate" members. If that pans out, the West can establish a "DCA West" region as soon as RCR pays their $100 annual dues for affiliate membership. And any show with three or more DCA corps in it could become a "DCA-sanctioned show".

So which is it, DCA? Must the Western corps attend championships every year? Or will this whole fuss be resolved for $100? Sure would be nice if someone speaking on behalf of DCA could clarify that detail.

I'm guessing that the language is ambigous enough for it to be interpretted both ways, and the proposed bylaw change(s) will make one or the other of your scenarios the more finite definition.

If that pans out, the West can establish a "DCA West" region as soon as RCR pays their $100 annual dues for affiliate membership. And any show with three or more DCA corps in it could become a "DCA-sanctioned show".

I was told by people from DCA several years ago (after RCR did pay DCA dues for that year) that paying dues was not enough to be considered a member; you had to actually compete at a DCA sanctioned show as well.

First of all people, DCA does not care one bit about this topic. If they did there would have been some official address, but there hasn't been. Now remember DCA could propose an event to satisfy the entire membership of DCA and there would be no need to propose this type of rule change. DCA Stand up and do something NOW!!!!

Second of all the people who support this are too chicken *&%$ to justify their own suggestions and should be voted out when it's time to vote.

Can you believe this?

I encourage you again to hit these people where it hurts, i once suggested to buy them a beer and be nice. This time walk up to them and tell them to knock it off. These people suggesting this represent you as an individual in your corps. Is this what the general population of DCA want?

How can we make an impact over this issue? How can we let the parties involved with this proposal know that it may have seemed like a good idea at one time but now has turned into the biggest most controversial proposal of 07. Is starting a seperate association the answer? Is voting them out next year the answer?

I'd still be interested to know who the People are, Are they still too afraid to stand up with conviction and support the effort to further their cause?

Trav