Mello or Melli?

spamula

Mello or Melli?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What should it be called?

• Mello
    • Melli

May be a little OT but........why do they call the flag/banner bearers and dancers...GUARD?

What are they guarding?

Doesn't that go back to military roots, as in the person who guarded the flag of the unit on the field of battle?

But anyway, I say mello for singular, mellos for plural.

But in reality, who cares what you call it as long as they blow hard!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as long as they're scored in the alto range and not the lower soprano range like so many DCI corps. :music:

Curious - what do you consider the "alto range" to be? When I write, I usually focus on the area between first-space F and the G on top of the staff. I'd be interested to know what others consider to be 'the' range to write for.

LOL...well to be honest, Glenn, I'm a drummer that hasn't seen the inside of a music theory classroom in, oh, 21 years (and I didn't see it much then, right Sara?!)...and have no idea where on the staff they'd fall.

I CAN, however, HEAR when the mello line is written too high...that is, I fail to hear that distinctive mellO voice. (there, now we're back on topic. :)

Edited by EMStar85

LOL...well to be honest, Glenn, I'm a drummer that hasn't seen the inside of a music theory classroom in, oh, 21 years (and I didn't see it much then, right Sara?!)...and have no idea where on the staff they'd fall.

I CAN, however, HEAR when the mello line is written too high...that is, I fail to hear that distinctive mellO voice. (there, now we're back on topic. :)

No you did not Mr. Morgan.

However, we did have that all night study session at the Awful Waffle to try to salvage your academic career.

And to stay completely off topic, because frankly, who cares about the mellophone except people that blow on one - coming soon on 30 Days The Blog - a visit to San Antonio, a reunion with Evan Morgan, 30 Days link below.

But more to this subject, I DO subscribe to the pluralization argument. I DO call an individual a mello...and I DO write "melli" next to the line on all my scores.

I have seen the term "celli" on orchestral scores as well...so it does make sense...

One is a cello...many are the celli (though I usually call them the "cellos".)

That would mean mellophones are #2..oh dear, did I just make another mellophone joke?

What's the difference between a mello player and a terrorist?

Terrorists have sympathizers. :-)

To use a fairly infamous quote....."Can't we all just get along?"

If not, I propose a new type of DCA corps. All-Mello, All The Time. no battery, no pit, no guard, no nothing, just a wall of Counter Melody goodness. I can see it now. Well, at least while I am still on my meds.