Famous DCI ageouts

Band Composer and former associate conductor of the Cincinnati Pops, Steve Reineke marched with the Bluecoats in 1989.

Chris Young who I think is one of the contracted Blue Men Group guys in Texas marched snare for the Bluecoats in 1990.

Steve Whiteclaw (did I spell that right? One of the Phillips brothers that marched with him can verify this) was lead trumpet player with Blues Other Brothers (I think Steve marched '86-'88).

Does all this amount to minor celebrity status? I dunno. Anyone reading this?

DW

I remember hearing that Dick Cheney marched with The Troopers, pre-DCI years.

OT, but I notice that the filter is letting the name "Dick" get through now, huh? For a while there, if you wanted to mention the name of our Vice President, didn't it used to come out "#### Cheney?" :lol:

Here'a what I know about this:

there is STILL an unconfirmed rumor that Madonna was in Bridgemen CG.

I consider both Joey Pero and Roland Garcaeu to be celebrities, even though only in brass circles (and yes, Joey never marched DCI)

But to count them, you'd have to include BD soloists going all the way back - Sean Billings, Scott Stewart. John Meehan, etc ...

As 4 drummers Id mention Tom Float and Ralph Hardimon ... oh! and Murray Gussack and of course Jim Casella - all celeb's in their own right.

as for the loser ...

trolls.jpg

keith carlok - steey dan, donald fagen... says he marched but i don't know where

Huh. I went to high school with Keith Carlock. I didn't realize he was famous. In addition

to the above, I believe he has also played with Paula Abdul and Sting.

However I'm positive he never marched junior corps. We are the same age and from

the same high school and about 10 people I went to high school with marched. If Keith

had marched I would have known.

Steve Whiteclaw (did I spell that right? One of the Phillips brothers that marched with him can verify this) was lead trumpet player with Blues Other Brothers (I think Steve marched '86-'88).

DW

I believe it is spelled Wieclaw, and he marched from 1985-1988

Huh. I went to high school with Keith Carlock. I didn't realize he was famous. In addition

to the above, I believe he has also played with Paula Abdul and Sting.

However I'm positive he never marched junior corps. We are the same age and from

the same high school and about 10 people I went to high school with marched. If Keith

had marched I would have known.

http://www.keithcarlock.com/bio.htm

From the link:

"Clinton, Mississippi is is where Keith Carlock was born and raised and where he started playing the drums at age 5. In High School, he joined the jazz band, show choir and drum corps."

Well - we had a show choir (a really good one) but didn't have a jazz band. I'm sure that by "drum corps" the bio writer meant the HS marching band. He most definitely did not march drum corps during high school.

BTW - I'm not trying to get down on him - he was (is) an amazing drummer. I feel lucky to have been in the same music ensembles with such a great musician.

Edited by bartyount