Who's slipping into finals this year?

Last year was tough, I dont belive that BS and Academy are going to make it in to finals. Politics wont let them. Id love to explain it but it would turn in to a big old rant about how bad the judges really are, belive me i just erased and really long "book" on how two corps this year got the crappy end of the stick.

Im sure that judges are focused on one thing and it isnt the bottom 6- whatever or you would see alot more varity in the top 12. Judges need to be retrained, period. Sitting in front of a tv looking at shapes and watching pong isnt how it should be. Corps are made out of real people that cant get everything perfect. All im saying is you cant give credit to someone and then tell them they suck for a minor flaw. It sure in the hell wouldnt happen to the top 5. I mean if a corps has the best show of the season, and gets beat the next day because of someones opinon. How fair is that? This year had really made me think why Im in the activity, and for that Im sitting this year out, among many other reasons. Im in no hurry to jump back in.

So in short I really cant say whos going to be pushed out and whos moving in, maybe we should ask the judges, they seem to know already...

Sounds to me like you need to re-evaluate your whole reason for doing corps. It will very likely never be a fulfilling venture for you if all you are focused on is scores, placements, and the judges. I hope you can find the true joy of drum corps and experience it before it's too late.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the judges have no clue what a member of a drum and bugle corps goes through. They just sit on plane to to shows and give the political opinions.

Yeah... most haven't marched corps, instructed groups, or had any sort of first hand knowledge of the activity. They do it for the huge paychecks and the lucrative endorsement deals. :lol:

Are judges perfect? Of course not... they're human. Are they very well trained at what they do? I'd say about 95% of them are. Are their hearts in the right place? Again, I'd say about 95% of them are.

If you ask me, it sounds like a lot of sour grapes coming out... it's a shame that you say it's all about the "memory" and the "family," but then you say you're sitting out because of the judges. Maybe this activity isn't really one for you.

Yeah... most haven't marched corps, instructed groups, or had any sort of first hand knowledge of the activity. They do it for the huge paychecks and the lucrative endorsement deals. :lol:

Are judges perfect? Of course not... they're human. Are they very well trained at what they do? I'd say about 95% of them are. Are their hearts in the right place? Again, I'd say about 95% of them are.

If you ask me, it sounds like a lot of sour grapes coming out... it's a shame that you say it's all about the "memory" and the "family," but then you say you're sitting out because of the judges. Maybe this activity isn't really one for you.

Agreed. I can remember plenty of times when we didn't finish as high as we wanted to. Sure every once in a while we might say that this or that judge didn't give us the marks in this or that caption, but in our heart of hearts we knew that we didn't turn in a good enough all-around performance to earn a higher placement. That's why God invented rehearsals.

BOT : I don't think that Madison will be bumped out of finals this year. Their recruitment is too strong and their new staff is too talanted. I just don't see it happening. Same with BAC.

Edited by Piper

Most of the judges have no clue what a member of a drum and bugle corps goes through. They just sit on plane to to shows and give the political opinions.

You couldn't be more wrong. Most judges are former members, but even those that aren't, your assumption is far off base. Maybe you don't like judges for some reason, and maybe it's personal, but I can say without hesitation that they understand EXACTLY what they go through. It is indeed their JOB to know what kids go through. And more often than flying, they have to drive to shows.

I don't know dcf, but it sounds like you have some sort of personal issue. What is it that would make you say stuff like this? I've been a judge on another circuit, and I can't believe that you would think this. I could see how you might think some judges have favorites, but it's hard to listen to you say that judges don't relate...

You couldn't be more wrong. Most judges are former members, but even those that aren't, your assumption is far off base. Maybe you don't like judges for some reason, and maybe it's personal, but I can say without hesitation that they understand EXACTLY what they go through. It is indeed their JOB to know what kids go through. And more often than flying, they have to drive to shows.

I don't know dcf, but it sounds like you have some sort of personal issue. What is it that would make you say stuff like this? I've been a judge on another circuit, and I can't believe that you would think this. I could see how you might think some judges have favorites, but it's hard to listen to you say that judges don't relate...

It sounds like the old academic adage. If it's an A or a B it's "I got". If it's a C or a D it's "He gave me". It doesn't hold water. Most judges probably have their own personal favorite corps just like everyone else. That doesn't mean that it effects their professionalism. I've always loved the Cavs, but if I were a judge I wouldn't cut them any slack over anyone else. One time one of our perc instructors left the corps to judge in one of the local circuits. Under the then current rules, we could have had him excluded from the panel, because not only did he write part of our book - he knew our weaknesses top to bottom. Even though the circumstances of his departure were not exactly amicable, the guys in the line still voted to let him judge the show, because despite any differences between us, we knew he would judge it fairly and impartially. (He did).

Edited by Piper

i have this feeling that due to global warming STAR is comming back to sweep all captions, and VK will be a close second with Teal Sound making a jump to div one and vying to steal that third place medal away from magic...

oh wait, you were serious still?

i have this feeling that due to global warming STAR is comming back to sweep all captions, and VK will be a close second with Teal Sound making a jump to div one and vying to steal that third place medal away from magic...

oh wait, you were serious still?

VK loves saxmanjames7

violentvksufergirl.jpg

I wouldn't be so quick to count out Spirit and Glassmen. In the know...Glassmen are putting together a great staff with big plans for the 2007 season. I'm expecting them to move in some new directions and as a result will step it up in the rankings for 2007. Also in the know...Spirit apparently had a record number at their first audition camp this weekend (I heard a figure from someone today that rivals what a top 6 corps usually has at a first camp) and are going to Texas for another audition weekend. And they too have a pretty amazing staff for this year.

If anyone is out, it will be most likely Madison and maybe Boston. Glassmen and Spirit will both be in the top 10. Probably in the 8th-10th range.

Edited by passionatedc

hey I love Spirit ... but if Academy can get that drum corps umph ( they just miss that little spark of umph to take them from a band to a corps ) that I think if they can get they might ... just might put up a fight.

Way too much hype. Academy is a great corps but are nowhere near ready for Division I finals. When I think of a jump like that, I think of Magic when they made a return earlier in the decade. Academy is nowhere near that level yet. To be realistic, they will be shooting for a low semis spot. 16th or 17th. 15th if they really step it up. I don't see them any higher than that at all. Now, in another year or so...YES! I EXPECT them to be in finals eventually. Right now, it's too soon.

Edited by passionatedc

Way too much hype. Academy is a great corps but are nowhere near ready for Division I finals. When I think of a jump like that, I think of Magic when they made a return earlier in the decade. Academy is nowhere near that level yet. To be realistic, they will be shooting for a low semis spot. 16th or 17th. 15th if they really step it up. I don't see them any higher than that at all. Now, in another year or so...YES! I EXPECT them to be in finals eventually. Right now, it's too soon.

AGREED!! B)