Scouts camp

acn

Always great to hear from someone who was there :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always great to hear from someone who was there :)

I was there also...and in 2005 the corps did not stay in Madison at all. INCLUDING for our home show which was held at LaFollette HS. We bussed in and out for that show. Every time we were close to Madison we stayed well outside the reach of the Madison school district. That may have changed in '06, but it wasn't the case in '05 nor in the 2 years prior, to my knowledge.

Not trying to argue with anyone since this isn't what the thread is about. I just wanted to clarify some information that I KNEW to be the case. I see the new admin as building bridges having people like Matt Gregg, Jeff Spanos, and Steve Powers involved...guys that marched under Scott Stewart and learned the importance of their close relationship with the city of Madison. For everything that everyone wants to say about Scott Stewart, the very LEAST of the good things that can be said is that he had as close a relationship with the respective parent city as any corps in DCI. Something that has suffered in recent years...and that's fact as well.

I was there also...and in 2005 the corps did not stay in Madison at all. INCLUDING for our home show which was held at LaFollette HS. We bussed in and out for that show. Every time we were close to Madison we stayed well outside the reach of the Madison school district. That may have changed in '06, but it wasn't the case in '05 nor in the 2 years prior, to my knowledge... the importance of their close relationship with the City of Madison. For everything that everyone wants to say about Scott Stewart, the very LEAST of the good things that can be said is that he had as close a relationship with the respective parent city as any corps in DCI. Something that has suffered in recent years...and that's fact as well.

The Madison Metropolitan School District charges an exorbitant amount for school rental, yet the Scouts held there Winter camps in Madison Schools. Spring Training was held in Whitewater because the facility could accommodate the need for multiple rehearsal fields, and housing. The City of Madison is filled with people who hate the noise created by drum corps. Neighbors around Camp Randal protest the corps everything DCI comes to town.

The last three Drums of Parade shows were held at Madison High Schools. LaFollette and Memorial are in the City of Madison. The Scouts' last camp was held at the “Madison Country Day School in Waunakee, WI, a suburb of Madison” (from Madison’s website).

Last year, the Scouts played at the start of the Madison Marathon, participated in the opening weekend of the City’s Sesquicentennial celebration, and played at the World’s Largest Brat Fry (2nd year). There are no parades in Madison other than the UW Home Coming parade.

Here is what the City does for the Scouts…will not discount rental fees for facility rental, will not tolerate the “noise” from rehearsals, and they give the corps a $6,000.00 grant each year. The same amount they give Capital Sound. Juxtapose that with Rosemont, where they support the Cavies in such a way that Jeff and the gang go back often because of the tremendous financial support. It interferes with the logical flow of their tours, but the payoff is well worth the inconvenience.

The past administration was starting to do more within the City than had been done in a while. Your comment that the corps is now doing something that wasn’t done before is asinine since the Scouts currently hold their camps outside the City limits.

Now, the smart thing to do would be to ask why the corps must look outside the City of Madison. The answer, the City (not necessarily the citizenry, but the people in charge) gives a rat’s butt about the Madison Scouts or Drum Corps as a whole. It’s cheaper to stay outside Madison.

Edited by Redmann

Marty is right . . . costs for using facilities within the Madison city limits are exhorbitant. I also echo Marty's sentiments that the new management team isn't doing anything new to build relationships within the city. At this juncture, we have many other issues occupying our time, although it is something we'd like to perpetuate.

Let's not make this an "old management team" vs. "new management team" issue. We're all trying to serve the Madison Scouts and, like with any organization or business, different management teams have different styles. It doesn't mean one is better than another. Heck, if we could get Marty to come down and offer some insight, it would be great.

Steve Powers

Advisor to the Executive Director

Madison Scouts

The Madison Metropolitan School District charges an exorbitant amount for school rental, yet the Scouts held there Winter camps in Madison Schools. Spring Training was held in Whitewater because the facility could accommodate the need for multiple rehearsal fields, and housing. The City of Madison is filled with people who hate the noise created by drum corps. Neighbors around Camp Randal protest the corps everything DCI comes to town.

The last three Drums of Parade shows were held at Madison High Schools. LaFollette and Memorial are in the City of Madison. The Scouts' last camp was held at the “Madison Country Day School in Waunakee, WI, a suburb of Madison” (from Madison’s website).

Last year, the Scouts played at the start of the Madison Marathon, participated in the opening weekend of the City’s Sesquicentennial celebration, and played at the World’s Largest Brat Fry (2nd year). There are no parades in Madison other than the UW Home Coming parade.

Here is what the City does for the Scouts…will not discount rental fees for facility rental, will not tolerate the “noise” from rehearsals, and they give the corps a $6,000.00 grant each year. The same amount they give Capital Sound. Juxtapose that with Rosemont, where they support the Cavies in such a way that Jeff and the gang go back often because of the tremendous financial support. It interferes with the logical flow of their tours, but the payoff is well worth the inconvenience.

The past administration was starting to do more within the City than had been done in a while. Your comment that the corps is now doing something that wasn’t done before is asinine since the Scouts currently hold their camps outside the City limits.

Now, the smart thing to do would be to ask why the corps must look outside the City of Madison. The answer, the City (not necessarily the citizenry, but the people in charge) gives a rat’s butt about the Madison Scouts or Drum Corps as a whole. It’s cheaper to stay outside Madison.

I wasn't saying that there was no interaction whatsoever...I'm only imparting what was said to me BY a member of the management staff when I was involved with the corps recently. I even stated that I "wasn't sure if this had changed at all or not". I also don't want to imply that the old management did nothing at all to interact with the city. Once again, only stating what I was told by a member of the management staff. Now, whether or not this person was a credible source may be questioned, but it's still what I was told...

If I was wrong, then that's fine...I'd rather it be because the city isn't reaching out than the fact that the management isn't/wasn't doing enough to foster that relationship.

I certainly don't want to point fingers...I was happy working with Sal, and I was happy learning from Scott. If I offended anyone, that was never my intention.

I certainly don't want to point fingers...I was happy working with Sal, and I was happy learning from Scott. If I offended anyone, that was never my intention.

No offense taken. I know your interest is in the future of the Madison Scouts.

I wasn't saying that there was no interaction whatsoever...I'm only imparting what was said to me BY a member of the management staff when I was involved with the corps recently. I even stated that I "wasn't sure if this had changed at all or not". I also don't want to imply that the old management did nothing at all to interact with the city. Once again, only stating what I was told by a member of the management staff. Now, whether or not this person was a credible source may be questioned, but it's still what I was told...

If I was wrong, then that's fine...I'd rather it be because the city isn't reaching out than the fact that the management isn't/wasn't doing enough to foster that relationship.

Re-Read your original post and look for the All Caps. You emphatically gave untrue information from your own perspective. "INCLUDING for our home show which was held at LaFollette HS. We bussed in and out for that show. Every time we were close to Madison we stayed well outside the reach of the Madison school district. That may have changed in '06, but it wasn't the case in '05 nor in the 2 years prior, to my knowledge... the importance of their close relationship with the City of Madison. For everything that everyone wants to say about Scott Stewart, the very LEAST of the good things that can be said is that he had as close a relationship with the respective parent city as any corps in DCI. Something that has suffered in recent years...and that's fact as well.".

It's hard to misinperpret your written word. I gave information from an informed and objective perspective in defense of people who worked incredibily hard and who dedicated a lot of time.

I totally agree with Redmann's comments. Although the City of Madison is gracious enough to donate $6,000 each year to each respective corps, it pales in comparison to what other city's are willing to do for their corps. Capital Sound would be more than accepting to any ideas the city would have as to how both parties could benefit from our relationship, and I'm sure the Scouts feel the same, but its hard to foster that relationship when it costs so much to have a winter rehearsal camp within the City Limits. But I digress.

Edited by InHiFiStereo

Re-Read your original post and look for the All Caps. You emphatically gave untrue information from your own perspective. "INCLUDING for our home show which was held at LaFollette HS. We bussed in and out for that show. Every time we were close to Madison we stayed well outside the reach of the Madison school district. That may have changed in '06, but it wasn't the case in '05 nor in the 2 years prior, to my knowledge... the importance of their close relationship with the City of Madison. For everything that everyone wants to say about Scott Stewart, the very LEAST of the good things that can be said is that he had as close a relationship with the respective parent city as any corps in DCI. Something that has suffered in recent years...and that's fact as well.".

It's hard to misinperpret your written word. I gave information from an informed and objective perspective in defense of people who worked incredibily hard and who dedicated a lot of time.

Ok Mr. Redmann...I understand your point and was not at all trying to offend anyone...however, what I said was entirely true in the statement you quoted..."INCLUDING for our home show which was held at LaFollette HS. We bussed in and out for that show. Every time we were close to Madison we stayed well outside the reach of the Madison school district." That part is absolutely true because I was there for it. I'm not in any way trying to disseminate untrue information and I have tried to be clear to point out when I wasn't entirely SURE about a part of my statement (i.e. "That MAY have changed in '06"). Now, if the reasons I believed to be behind this happening were incorrect, then I am happy to apologize and recant. The remarks may have seemed inflammatory, but I wasn't meaning to offend and was only imparting what I was told by a member of the management team. Is it untrue that Scott had a good relationship with the city? If I'm wrong there as well, then I'll be happy to amend my assertion that he did.

Edited by BigBadMadMan