Flag tosses

BTW? 27th got all the glory because of George Zingali. There were a number of corps that truly competed.

In today's world.. I would like to see the competition. :)

Sharon

Wow, Sharon...the grapes are very sour today! :worthy:

I agree with LancerFi: Zingali did not receive his "due" until the corps who came AFTER 27th - Star of Indiana, Cadets...

And in case you haven't see the DVD of 27th (especially in 1980), the guard and rifles were simply outstanding...GE out the wazoo...in-your-face attitude...PERFECTION. Me thinks that perfection did not come JUST from Zingali - it came from plain, old-fashioned hard work and discipline.

One can have the best guard instructor in the world, coupled with the best visual book. But, if the members don't "buy in" and work for execution and perfection, having the best instructor and visual book doesn't get you squat. It's the guard members who "sell the show".

Ah, but I'm sure you know that.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact (I was there) that the Racine Scouts did flag tosses and head choppers in 1966 with six foot aluminum pike and pointed ends.

Top that

PS no injuries.

"Headchoppers & Flag Tosses":

The Madison Scouts, complete in their old "Explorer Greens" did "Headchoppers & Flag Tosses" in 1961. We watched them practice their field & floor routines at Nationals that year and were pretty well gassed by them. :worthy:

Elphaba

So glad I didn't miss this. Yes, we were so fabulous because we cloned George and had him in each guard spot.

Oh, you're so right, we just had so little talent. Our execution had nothing to do with hard work. Nope, we couldn't execute. We never practiced, we won best guard only because of Zingali. Certainly our marching staff had nothing to do with our guard either.

So happy I've now found out why we're still being discussed.

I wonder how NSs guard enjoyed being taught by one of George's best friends, also a 2-7 alum.

In today's world, well, you're still the same......it was what it was, you were what you were, you had what you had - as did we. Why would it change now? You've done this several times. It's tough to be green. And tough to still hold such hate, for whatever reason that might be.

Most of your posts lean towards that horrible word that begins with a "J".

It's a shame you just cannot be happy and have some gratitude for what that corps accomplished in what little time it was around. You kept great company, but you just cannot get over the fact that the east had more than one corps. Such a shame.

I'm so glad I happened upon this........hatred is an ugly thing as is jealousy.

So many other people lived it as well, but I suppose only your recollections are correct then. Must be nice to be perfect.

Best Regards To You.

Nancy

Easy now...Down girl...take a deep breath... remember, you have all your DVDs to watch to know

that you were good.

Is it just me, or does anybody else smell cat pee?? :ph34r:

Is it just me, or does anybody else smell cat pee?? :doh:

Ack, with two cats in the house, this is never a promising observation! (Reminder to self: Check those litterboxes!)

But your point is well taken. :ph34r:

Ack, with two cats in the house, this is never a promising observation! (Reminder to self: Check those litterboxes!)

But your point is well taken. :ph34r:

I think Sally ran into it before I did:

Wow Sharon...the grapes are very sour today :doh:

Easy now...Down girl...take a deep breath... remember, you have all your DVDs to watch to know

that you were good.

Is it just me, or does anybody else smell cat pee?? :ph34r:

This has been happening since I began on line. One person calls you out, never met, never set eyes on them, but has many personal things to say and although this is not in the usual vein, it's still uncalled for and unnecessary.

I love the PMs I get regarding this and although this is not the site it began on, people still seem to notice the oddity of it all and have some funny comments - like the cat pee.....and stories re: Madison 2006, etc.

Thank you UNC, I know I enjoyed it!

Sue and Sally, thanks for your input, you're 2 wonderful voices of reason.

Sue and Sally, thanks for your input, you're 2 wonderful voices of reason.

i'm with you on this too nancy. it's funny, no matter what the topic, if somebody wants to call someone out, they will. hey sharon, why not just start your own topic trashing the 27th lancers instead of using this one or others (as you have done) to push your agenda. it would save a lot of people a lot of wasted reading and keep this on topic.

now as far as the topic, there was nothing like marching with you guys and having flags AND rifles being tossed over your head. but i never worried (well there was this one time, but that's another story), because i had the best color guard of that era doing the tossing.

No thanks needed, LancerFi!

Tis plain common sense: no group gets to the top just by its directors...there's alot of sweat equity and determination by the members themselves to get there!

That was obvious on the field in Birmingham.

Edited by SBrancheau

Tis plain common sense: no group gets to the top just by its directors...there's alot of sweat equity and determination by the members themselves to get there!

And, as Nancy noted, creativity. People seem to think that everything Two-Seven did, from a visual standpoint, was the brainchild of George Zingali. And while he did write those tremendously innovative drills (and I'm sure did so much more than that), it's a a little-known fact that the guard members, themselves, were very creative. Between them and their staff members, that's how we got treated to some of the best guard books in the history of the activity. Best creatively, and also best execution.

Edited by byline