Flag tosses

See, I've always asked for the drill or at least know what is happening before I start writing work.

Well, I asked for it, too. Demanded it, as I recall. Like they cared. :P But if the drill isn't written yet, they can't hand it over to you. The situation I was in was that the band directors were writing the drill, and they always had good intentions about getting it written before band camp. Never happened. But they were paying me to do the camps, so I had to write something and teach it. And then go through the whole mess of revising it once I did finally get the drill in my hands.

The only time I had the drill in my hands before camp, when I could actually write my work based on what was happening in the drill, was the last year I taught. And the only reason that happened was because they finally contracted someone else to write the drill. Wish they'd done that a lot sooner, because not only was it refreshing to have the drill charts so early, but it was also a much better written drill.

Edited by byline

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think she meant you. this has been an ongoing issue with sharon.

Yup, I agree. Trish, I think your reply was fine. The problem is the "calling out" that Sharon has been doing periodically.

Well, I asked for it, too. Demanded it, as I recall. Like they cared. :P But if the drill isn't written yet, they can't hand it over to you. The situation I was in was that the band directors were writing the drill, and they always had good intentions about getting it written before band camp. Never happened. But they were paying me to do the camps, so I had to write something and teach it. And then go through the whole mess of revising it once I did finally get the drill in my hands.

The only time I had the drill in my hands before camp, when I could actually write my work based on what was happening in the drill, was the last year I taught. And the only reason that happened was because they finally contracted someone else to write the drill. Wish they'd done that a lot sooner, because not only was it refreshing to have the drill charts so early, but it was also a much better written drill.

as a drill guy who teaches the drills, especially recently with bands, i've found myself gravitating towards color guards because of the issue of drill and carriage. the same thing happens here too, sometimes the drill is written, sometimes it's not. but as a color guard designer you gotta come up with something. i find myself taking the initiative as the season progresses to help the guard staff with cleaning up the drill while the carriage is tweaked to match what they are doing drill-wise. i think it's important to help alleviate some of the burden so the guard designer can do her stuff.

as a drill guy who teaches the drills, especially recently with bands, i've found myself gravitating towards color guards because of the issue of drill and carriage. the same thing happens here too, sometimes the drill is written, sometimes it's not. but as a color guard designer you gotta come up with something. i find myself taking the initiative as the season progresses to help the guard staff with cleaning up the drill while the carriage is tweaked to match what they are doing drill-wise. i think it's important to help alleviate some of the burden so the guard designer can do her stuff.

Bravo to you for your consideration for your guard staff! I have to say that as much as it annoyed me, never having the drill before beginning to teach the guard book (well, except for that one last time), the directors I worked for were superb in every other way. They tried, and they had good intentions when it came to the drill, but they worked hard all year round, and they liked their summers off. They got into a pattern of promising me every year, this year will be the year we have the opener written for you before camp, so you can fine-tune everything beforehand. And they got used to me fuming every year when it didn't happen. :sleeping: But honestly, that's one of very few complaints from the entire time I worked with them, so really, I had it pretty good.

Edited by byline

Back then we didn't have a guard designer so to speak.

Luckily we had a person that could hear a show once and do free style - with perfect work to put on the show.

She came 1rst in her first individuals-prelims, and 2nd to Greg Horne at finals, I was truly shocked that anyone could beat her. She had a spin off with a Madison rifle one night while it was raining and we were all waiting to go on the field. She won!

The best rifle and carriage I've personally ever seen......

1981 CROSSMEN colorguard was great; they tossed two flags at the same time

I loved that part of the show when they came from the left-hand corner of the field in a triange or something. I wish I could see video of that again.

Edited by xbones7480

1981 CROSSMEN colorguard was great; they tossed two flags at the same time

I loved that part of the show when they came from the left-hand corner of the field in a triange or something. I wish I could see video of that again.

Thanks M! Yes we came from the left corner of the field in a triangle shape that we called the wedge. In one hand we had a rifle and in the other we had a flag. The move was inspired by our drill designer Vinny Monticelli who also taught Holly Hawks indoor guard.

Sometimes I feel we got little credit that year for the stuff we were doing. BTW, I do have prelims and finals of those performances.

Thanks M! Yes we came from the left corner of the field in a triangle shape that we called the wedge. In one hand we had a rifle and in the other we had a flag. The move was inspired by our drill designer Vinny Monticelli who also taught Holly Hawks indoor guard.

Sometimes I feel we got little credit that year for the stuff we were doing. BTW, I do have prelims and finals of those performances.

Agreed. The Crossmen guard was excellent and I don't believe they get the accolades they are due. Love the guard during the early skirt era.....

They are often overlooked. I'mso glad that I got to see those fabulous shows thanks to Malibu. The work was very difficult, creative and done so well!

Agreed. The Crossmen guard was excellent and I don't believe they get the accolades they are due. Love the guard during the early skirt era.....

They are often overlooked. I'mso glad that I got to see those fabulous shows thanks to Malibu. The work was very difficult, creative and done so well!

Aaaaah Thanks LancerFi! :grouphug:

It means a lot coming from a person who was in the best guard in the country at the time! Not only that, but you were the captain of that legendary guard!