Since the switch to Bb's

The terms "soprano" and "contra" sound manno manno. "Trumpet" and "tuba" sounds downright wimpy. :P

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Sometimes we call the sousas "tubas" in our marching band, and somehow we all leave rehearsal unscathed. I've never heard a trumpet being called a soprano, and somehow it did not seem to have an ill effect on my marching experience. I suspect that if they start calling them something different in 10 years, it probably won't have an ill effect on my viewing experience.

Wait.... we did use soprano...... when we were mocking people who care SO MUCH about what to call a trumpet. And you all thought we didn't know anything about history...

WTF does any of this have to do with marching band?? To my knowledge you never marched G bugles in highschool marching band...maybe you are just too green to know what the rest of us old people are talking about :)

Depends what era you marched in. I will always call them soprano's and contra's just because that what I am used to calling them. The kids that march today will call them trumpets and tuba's. It is their drum corp now, not ours. Let it be if people don't like the changes don't go anymore plain and simple. Do I like all the changes No I don't. But I do still support a great activity no matter what brass instruments they use.

A soprano bugle is a trumpet in the key of G...therefore, it could be called either a trumpet or a soprano.

A trumpet is a soprano bugle in the key of Bb...therefore, it could be called either a trumpet or a soprano.

A tuba is a contrabass bugle in the key of BBb...therefore, it could be called either a tuba or a contrabass bugle.

A contrabass bugle is a tuba in the key of G...therefore, it could be called either a tuba or a contrabass bugle.

Both are bugles...in fact, every brass instrument is a bugle. The term "bugle" is not key-specific. The terms "soprano", "alto", "tenor", "baritone", and "contrabass" are NOT the names of the instruments...they are the names of the musical VOICINGS of the instruments. Rather, the names of the actual instruments themselves are trumpet, mellophone, baritone, euphonium, and tuba...regardless of what key each horn is pitched in.

As a side note, I don't quite understand the semantics surrounding the "which sounds cooler...tuba or contra, soprano or trumpet" debate. JUST PLAY THE HORN! NOBODY CARES WHAT THE NAME SOUNDS LIKE!

Even with my marching bands i'm heard calling the upper brass sopranos, and the bass called Contra. But I also will sometimes just say Trumpets and Tubas, its all whatever I feel like doing. When i'm talking visually I usually say, trumpets, mellos, bari (trombones too in marching band) and Tubas, but in music rehearsals regardless of what ensemble i'll say soprano, mello(occasionally i'll say mid-voice), baritones and contras, mostly because i'm refering to the voicepart, not just the instrument.

I know the Cavaliers call them trumpets, tubas, etc, because that's what they actually are.

When the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps was founded in 1934, they used Bb bugles and augmented the Marine Band.

Right now, I play a contrabass bugle, two-valved and in the key of G. I marched DCI during the transition from two to three valves.

Webster's Dictionary lists a bugle as a valveless instrument similar to a trumpet used primarily for military calls. If we go by that definition, then it stopped being a bugle as soon as you stuck a valve on it. My contrabass also ceases to exist by that definition since it looks nothing like a trumpet.

If you want a real history of the bugle, go to http://www.tapsbugler.com/HistoryoftheBugl...ftheBugle1.html and educate yourself.

A soprano bugle is a trumpet in the key of G...therefore, it could be called either a trumpet or a soprano.

A trumpet is a soprano bugle in the key of Bb...therefore, it could be called either a trumpet or a soprano.

A tuba is a contrabass bugle in the key of BBb...therefore, it could be called either a tuba or a contrabass bugle.

A contrabass bugle is a tuba in the key of G...therefore, it could be called either a tuba or a contrabass bugle.

Both are bugles...in fact, every brass instrument is a bugle. The term "bugle" is not key-specific. The terms "soprano", "alto", "tenor", "baritone", and "contrabass" are NOT the names of the instruments...they are the names of the musical VOICINGS of the instruments. Rather, the names of the actual instruments themselves are trumpet, mellophone, baritone, euphonium, and tuba...regardless of what key each horn is pitched in.

As a side note, I don't quite understand the semantics surrounding the "which sounds cooler...tuba or contra, soprano or trumpet" debate. JUST PLAY THE HORN! NOBODY CARES WHAT THE NAME SOUNDS LIKE!

Someone needs to bottle that post ^^^ right there. It's dead on! If I had room, I'd copy and paste it to my signature.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::doh::doh::wub::doh::wub::doh:

Snipped for specific response...

Everybody always talks about wanting to get back to the "good old days of drum corps". But, when were those "good old days"? Back in the 70's, when everybody had to follow a formula for the show, had no pit, and about 40 horns that had 1 valve and (if you were lucky) 1 rotor? Or are the good old days the 80's, when change was initiated, pits were allowed, the size of drum corps grew, and two valves were intorduced? What about the 90's? 3 valves on horns, faster tempos, contraversial shows, more dancing in guard than guard work (as some would say). Some would even say that the 00's are the good old days. Any-key instruments to allow for more of our friends from the band world to come over and participate, more notes in the battery section than you could ever dream of, faster-yet drill, a dynasty in our midst, etc.

Time to do a litle homework yourself. Back in the 70's (my marching days, for perspective), the P/R G/F bugle was pretty standard by 1970. Olds led the charge in the switch from G/D bugles, with Zig Kanstul at the wheel.

VK was the first corps to use 2-piston bugles in 1976. The rule change took effect in 1977, but Zig got permission to field test the sopranos the summer before. A little piece of trivia...those sopranos had a Benge stamp on the bell.

So to say corps were playing one valve horns is about a decade off...as was your reference to 2V bugles being introduced in the 80's. Realistically, it all depended on the budget of the individual corps how fast they could update their line. Remember, Star never played 3V bugles. IMO, they didn't have to, and neither did anyone else.

Also, in light of the many threads in recent years regarding the decline in notes in the battery, and the increase in tacet time, I'd say the general public opinion is in disagreement with your statement. And it's with good reason that the number of notes has declined with the increase in drill demands from the battery.

So I ask you again...When were the good old days of drum corps? Or could it be the SLIGHTEST bit possible, that the good old days of drum corps are different from person to person, thus invalidating everything that anybody has said about why XXXX year is better than all the rest?

In many ways, they're all the good old days. Yes, there are things I'd like to see changed, or changed back in some specific areas, but I have no problems with most of the innovations in drum corps over the last 36 years.

I think the name assignments in bugles had a lot to do with the fact that they were not considered legitimate instruments. The key and orientation of the instrument (hoizontal piston, rotor, and only two valves) certainly was different than a 3V trumpet in Bb. Also, remember that when the bell-front G bugles were being developed and refined in drum corps, it was several more years before a similar instrument was introduced to the marching band world.

Garry

I know whenever I marched the tuba section called ourselves contras and the trumpet section called themselves either or depending on the day. I have only heard the Mellos called Altos twice once by and instructor and once by a guy watching us march off the field... so...