Which Legacy Years Should I Buy?

Which Years Should I Buy?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a year from the 80's

2. 2. Pick a year from the 70's

Wow, what a deal! This is a perfec time to expand my Legacy DVD selection, now that they're buy two get one free through 12/17. I'm going to round out the 90's, but I want to know what years I should get from decades that I'm less familiar with. I already have 1989 and 1988, so those were not include. Vote for one year for each decade, and I'll buy the highest vote-getters, one from each decade, or maybe two from each if the voters can convince me I should.

Edited by Maedhros

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

87 for SCV

76 for Devils

and others from both years, of course......

I voted 76 and 80.

76...some reasons....

BD...Channel One

Bayonne....first year as the bananas....Wm Tell...Chorus Line...ah!!!!

2-7...Crown Imperial and Danny Boy...double ah!

SCV....Send in the Clowns

80...just a few highlights...

SOA....Georgia/Old Man River....Let It Be Me...

Bayonne...In the Stone

2-7...Folk Song Suite...and never too much Danny Boy!

BD...Dindi

1987. Do you have to even ask? That was probably overall one of the finest years of drum corps. One of my few regrets in my life is that I did not march with one of these corps that year.

You had Cadets doing Appalachian Spring. Santa Clara's Russian show is one of the most amazing things ever put on a field. Of course this the year that Regiment started doing shows in white. Sky Ryders performed a West Side Story show that was years ahead of its time. I don't think there was a single show in finals that I didn't like.

Edited by SpookyKid

The mid-late 80's are notable for outstanding seasons by Sky Ryders, Suncoast Sound, Freelancers, Troopers, and other corps now gone...different corps reaching their zenith in different years.

Sure, in 1987 we watched Cadets battle SCV at DCI East and knew SCV was maxed out and Cadets would catch them in the closing weeks--that was obvious, however the rest of the top 12 was not as solidly entertaining as 1982:

For pure listening entertainment, I have never heard a Top 12 TOP TO BOTTOM SOLID and entertaining as 1982.

The BD blew away all the competition with what I consider the last of their truly great to listen to jazz shows! Though they were hot in 1984 with La Fiesta Mexicana, I never could really understand or get into anything they played after 1984.

An entertaining SCV in 2nd

A wonderful show from the rising Garfield Cadets (3rd place), very interesting music--Rocky Point Holiday--sounds just like the later outstanding Garfield Corps. Forgotten today, 1982 was the beginning of the marching revolution--by 1984 all the high schools were following Garfield's new "flow" concepts.

All the way on down:

An outstanding 27th Lancers: Niner Two and Danny Boy among others!

Crossmen--EERIE sounding hornline playing some of the best ever arrangements of Shoshanna, Canto Del Viejo, and Russian Christmas music--in parts of the show the eerie sounding hornline still gives me chills for all the RIGHT reasons!

Madison Scouts--Strawberry Soup

Bridgemen--one of the most exciting drum lines I ever heard

Sky Ryders--La Virgen De Macarena/Come in from the Rain/Somewhere Over the Rainbow--perhaps the most classic and entertaining Sky Ryders show ever.

Spirit of Atlanta, Freelancers--just great music though all these years later the tune names escape me.

Every single corps of that top 12 offered something enjoyable about their show.

My 2c.

John

Edited by John Mock

For pure listening entertainment, I have never heard a Top 12 TOP TO BOTTOM SOLID and entertaining as 1982.

The BD blew away all the competition with what I consider the last of their truly great to listen to jazz shows! Though they were hot in 1984 with La Fiesta Mexicana,

Actually La Fiesta Mexicana is a different chart (by Owen Reed)....we played La Fiesta by maynard Ferguson....but thanks for the props!

Wow, what a deal! This is a perfec time to expand my Legacy DVD selection, now that they're buy two get one free through 12/17. I'm going to round out the 90's, but I want to know what years I should get from decades that I'm less familiar with. I already have 1989 and 1988, so those were not include. Vote for one year for each decade, and I'll buy the highest vote-getters, one from each decade, or maybe two from each if the voters can convince me I should.

I'm working my way backwards in the collection. I've currently got everything from 2006 back to 87.

When I saw earlier today that they were doing the 3 for 2 sale, I ordered 86, 85 and 84. Woohoo!

I would go with 87 and 76. 86 or 82 is also a very nice choice. All good shows.