Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

*bangs head on desk* what...part...about...history-making far-reaching influential shows...isnt...under...stood...

Edited by chris ncsu

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great thread - and I think there are some very influential shows from different eras that contributed to drum corps as it is today - I'd start with the Troopers in the sixties with their Sunburst, which started a movement towards "signature moves" such as the Racine Kilties "Chatanooga Choo Choo" train at the same time, the "blow your brains out" closers from so many corps in the sixties, then the evolution to DCI and Anaheim Kingsmen 72 and of course the SCV "Bottle Dance" which may have been the greatest thing in drum corps ever at the time, along with 27th and their great shows and rifles, and drum corps has benefited from all of these shows!

I must respectfully disagree. The first thing that comes to mind for me is Regiment 89. Curious that you only named shows that won.

alright that's fine that you disagree but shows that win get probably the most concentrated attention, it's not what i limit myself to, but there is a lot attention that goes to shows that win.

my favorite shows like phantom regiment 2003, 2006, blue devils 2004, vanguard 00, 04, arent championship shows.

Edited by BaritoneBamBam

Let's remind ourselves how many drumlines after 94 started high sticking because of BD's "monkey drumming" throughout their show. It became very prevalent in other drum circuits and high schools. Some say Star started it at the end of the 93 show, however BD took it and ran with it. I don't recall High sticking being the norm before 94.

Dude, you gotta broaden your outlook. High sticking is hardly a ground-breaking innovation. Cadets drummed way up around their ears in '85. Everyone did it back in the 60's.

regards,

Fred O.

Fair enough, and I respect that you took the effort to back to 83. I'll admit that I misinterpreted what you were saying.

vanguard 99 might get upset over their inclusion on that statement.

i knew that i swear! haha shhhhh... edit button

Dude, you gotta broaden your outlook. High sticking is hardly a ground-breaking innovation. Cadets drummed way up around their ears in '85. Everyone did it back in the 60's.

regards,

Fred O.

If you read the previous post to mine:

BD 1994 influential? Flipping amazing, but what did it change? I do agree that it stressed the importance of theme and the show as a single entity, though. If you'll notice, BD before this year had very little regard for theme and just played charts in order. But in '94, there was a theme that tied it all together, and in the music, they tie together all of the charts in the closer. That seems to be a lot more commn now.

My response was in context to the aforementioned post. Please make sure you read the entire thread, in context and not accuse me of not broadening my outlook. I'm not going to get into Cadets high sticking etc, because it's not what the thread is about. That being said, my top 5 in no particular order:

Cadets 1983 – Drill and show design, enough said

Star 1993 – IMHO, every caption in the show revolutionized Drum Corps, from show design to percussion arranging, execution, body movement, etc

Santa Clara Vanguard 1980 – Changed drill writing setting up what would take place in 83 for the Cadets.

Star 1991 – Not just the drill, but the Brass, wow/BD 1982 - Brass

Santa Clara Vanguard 1998 - Return to tilted snare drums – I may be premature on this one, but I believe that this may lead to more and more drumlines eventually tilting their snares, it just makes sense from mechanical & sound standpoint. This may lead to how a drum corps will sound as whole due to a change which I believe is significant.

I strongly suggest that anyone interested in this topic watch "Brass Roots", yeah, it is like 9 years old now, but it really puts stuff in perspective.

One interesting thing in this video are 2 panel discussions; one w/ Don Warren, George Bonfiglio, Gene Monstrangeli(sp?), Bill Howard, and Dave Kampschroer (sp?); the other w/ Dennis Delucia, Pete Emmons, Fred Sanford, Jim Elvord, and Wayne Downey. Both groups independantly came up Troopers (& Jim Jones) starting it all from touring to drill innovation.

Of course, I've now just contradicted my earlier post. I hate it when I do that.

If we're talking DCI-era shows, then here's my list:

1974 SCV

1980 SCV

1983 Garfield Cadets

1993 Star of Indiana

2002 Cavaliers

Honorable mentions:

1976 Blue Devils

1991 Star of Indiana

Edited by helmsm