Top 5 Most Influencial Shows of All Time

In my book, "influential" shows are those that changed the entire direction of the activity. These are the significant ones:

mid-60's Troopers -- established the national touring concept

1980 Santa Clara Vanguard -- asymmetrical drill

1982 Garfield Cadets -- major evolution in music and drill design, raising the bar for the rest of the 1980's

1993 Star of Indiana -- major evolution in music and drill design, raising the bar for the rest of the 1990's

1994 27th Lancers Alumni -- there were no huge alumni corps, DCI exhibitions by such corps or DCA Alumni Spectaculars before these guys

2002 -- major evolution in music and drill design, raising the bar for the rest of the 2000's

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's remind ourselves how many drumlines after 94 started high sticking because of BD's "monkey drumming" throughout their show. It became very prevalent in other drum circuits and high schools. Some say Star started it at the end of the 93 show, however BD took it and ran with it. I don't recall High sticking being the norm before 94. To this day, 12 years later drumlines do it.

We take zero credit for what is now referred to as "monkey drumming". In '93 we were just playing really, really (REALLY) high - considerably different than what you are talking about, which is basically just a "visual" that has gained some widespread popularity, much like backsticking or "drum to drum" visuals used to have. At any rate...I doubt that many people would consider any of those battery "visuals" as some sort of revolutionary invention that changed the course of drum corps in a truly profound manner.

Edited by bullethead

We take zero credit for what is now referred to as "monkey drumming". In '93 we were just playing really, really (REALLY) high - considerably different than what you are talking about, which is basically just a "visual" that has gained some widespread popularity, much like backsticking or "drum to drum" visuals used to have. At any rate...I doubt that many people would consider any of those battery "visuals" as some sort of revolutionary invention that changed the course of drum corps in a truly profound manner.

Agreed. First off, Thank you so much for your performance in 1993, your line IMHO changed percussion writing, Not only do I give credit to Thom Hannum and company, but to you guys for executing it so well. I have of a copy the judges tape of your final performance and all it does is just validates how amazing your performance was that night. B)

I wonder if the Late Aaron Moline who ended up marching with BD in 94 had any influence with the High Sticking visual you guys did at the end of the show to BD.

1980-1982 SCV - (Advent of asymetrical drill)

1984 Suncoast Sound (Story, Pageantry, Passion)

1987 Garfield Cadets - (Introduction of Modern Dance)

1991-1993 Star of Indiana (Demanding Drill, Music, Performance. All "G". All 2 Valves.

1990 SCV/1989 Star Of Indiana (Main exposure to the "Free Floating" drum design - - not first, just Main Exposure).

In no particular order.

95 Scouts

99 BD

99 SCV

89 Phantom

00 Cadets

HM, 06 Cavies. I use this show to pump me up. The opener really gets me going.

In no particular order ...

1. 1985 Garfield Cadets -- Genius

2. 1980 Bridgemen -- Masterpiece

3. 1982 Vanguard -- Bottle Dance

4. 1993 Vanguard -- taught me what is possible when you truly believe in something

5. 1982 Blue Devils -- Stealth

I predict that due to this thread, the next DCI "theater" experience or DVD that comes out will be "The top 12 most influential shows." Since we seem to like our round dozens in the drum corps world.

Would be cool, though. With commentary on why each show was innovative or revolutionary, who it specifically influenced and what it was like to be in that corps that year.

2005 Cadets

imo, there isnt a post 1983 show that had an overall package that was this clean and such great general effect. The other competition it would have is 1997 Blue devils, 2002 Cavaliers, and 2003 Blue Devils.

while cadets that year may not have had the cleanest feet ever, the best brassline ever, the best percussion ever, but i dont think there isanother show that was so well rounded in every caption with great effect as this show.

2005 Cadets

imo, there isnt a post 1983 show that had an overall package that was this clean and such great general effect. The other competition it would have is 1997 Blue devils, 2002 Cavaliers, and 2003 Blue Devils.

I must respectfully disagree. The first thing that comes to mind for me is Regiment 89. Curious that you only named shows that won.