Drill Instructor Yelling Good/Bad?

I don't do well with someone yelling... being intense is one thing, but blatent yelling is totally different... good thing we aren't being trained to kill people... Just march a show :o)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. I never had drill instructors that yelled without reason. It was usually due to the members simply not applying corrections after several runs, or to raise their voice for us to hear them. I don't mind it. When I teach I'm more laid back. I work with a high school that marches a good percentage of middle schoolers so I do have to be demure. I get my point across early on through sheer repetition. Later on I can use the "come on, you guys are better than that, I've seen you do it right before" line. I find that when members become endeared to a staff they work harder for them. Obviously, but at the high school level that can be hard to achieve.

I have a reputation as a yeller. Do I... Yep. It is how and when. Instruction with no mic requires me to yell and when the kids are not focused, I yell louder :)

I've found that it depends on the group itself. One group, I'll next to never get on them. Some groups respond only through my best Frank Williams impression. What I never am is nasty or rude. Funny is the best route.

good grief.

I have experienced being "yelled" at in all three of the corps I was in for very specific reasons. I don't ever recall being yelled at just because

someone got a thrill out of yelling.

You know, if I'm a drill instructor, and I've reminded a set say... 100 times that they need to cover down, and they STILL have yet to all cover down at the same

time to make a straight line or a decent angle... I'm probably going to finally yell about it.

But I'll also be the first to give a good shout out when they hit it well the first time and consistently there after.

Come on... grow a spine. If we have the "we don't speak in those tones to our children" instructors, who would take them seriously when they mean business?

This isn't your mommy here who will coddle you when you pull all the flour off the shelf in the grocery store or cry about not getting a toy at Wal-Mart.

Real life people... real life. If the sensitive kids don't think they will experience being yelled at at some point in their life, whether it be work related; in the

military; in a sport they particpate in; or by a drum corps drill instructor... it will be a hard life and a rude awakening for them in the real world.

Locked legs...very impressive! Though I think even the Cadets give a little bend on the upbeat. :P

Locking you knees is bad. It cuts off the blood flow and your body is not made to be tense and moving at the same time. This is why bad dancers are tense dancers. Straight legs should not be straight by locking. I could go on about technique but I won't

Mike

If you're mature enough not to take it personally, it's a great motivating tool... I remember getting yelled at all the time... ALL THE TIME... (well, not THAT much... I wasn't a tick by any means, but I changed styles more than a few times and it took me a while to catch on...) When I got yelled at, I definitely got the "Oh yah? Watch this... IN YOUR FACE!" attitude... I'm just like that.

Come on... grow a spine. If we have the "we don't speak in those tones to our children" instructors, who would take them seriously when they mean business?

This isn't your mommy here who will coddle you when you pull all the flour off the shelf in the grocery store or cry about not getting a toy at Wal-Mart.

Real life people... real life. If the sensitive kids don't think they will experience being yelled at at some point in their life, whether it be work related; in the

military; in a sport they particpate in; or by a drum corps drill instructor... it will be a hard life and a rude awakening for them in the real world.

I just don't think yelling is all that effective. Some of the things that drill instructors have said to me (without yelling) or to groups I've marched with were more demeaning or insulting than yelling could ever be. But those comments definitely motivated me more to do well than someone sitting there going "Brian, you jack***, stop ****ing up that god **** set or I'm going to kill you and your family." It has nothing to do with being thinskinned, I just don't think that raising ones' voice is always the most effective option.

Locking you knees is bad. It cuts off the blood flow and your body is not made to be tense and moving at the same time. This is why bad dancers are tense dancers. Straight legs should not be straight by locking. I could go on about technique but I won't

Mike

wow mike... you say this like you teach a 9 time world championship level corps how to march straight legs or something :P