...what new tech do you want from DCI.org/DCI's store?

So, that article about putting the DVD together got me thinking...

What's the next step for DCI tech-wise? Season Pass and the web streaming seem to be a pretty big hit, and the APD's are doing pretty well.

1) WGI has a "create-a-DVD" option, where you can pick the shows and have 'em burned and sent to you. I think something like this...especially if it utilizes the entire DCI catalog (I/II/III/the old Class A/A-60, All-Girl, and the 13-24 corps) might be a great way to generate some revenue with minimal cost for stuff that's just sitting in the archives collecting dust. I can think of many, many discs I could make just from semi final shows and II/III stuff. :laugh:

2) DCI in HD? Hey, Tom Blair said it could happen...how cool would that be?

Anyone else?

HD would be tremendous. Anyone who's seen sports in HD knows that an activity like drum corps is as perfect a candidate for HD treatment as you can imagine. The only drawback is, if you thought the DVDs were expensive now, watch out.

Honestly, I'd settle for hi-cam on the legacy years. Few things irk me more than watching BD 97 and yet not being able to watch BD 97, because out of the entire corps I'm looking at just one guard girl waving some feathers around.

I think the neatest innovation would be to expand the commentary available. The more designer commentary we can get, the better, for all corps. And I would love to hear more judges tapes, for all corps as well. Perhaps these can be added as APDs, making them on-demand as it were.

That's a good idea, instead of just downloading the same APD over and over during the summer, maybe every regional could have a different caption head/designer explaning the concepts and minutae of the show as it plays along....might spur more multiple purchases of a show.

...and yeah, I always wondered why hi-cam wasn't an angle option....I always thought the VHS tapes came in either a high cam or multi cam option way back when.

What if DCI interviewed designers throughout the year regarding the upcoming season's show and released those in an audio podcast format you could listen to while listening to the APDs? Similar to what Ronald Moore does for Battlestar Galactica.

I'd be down for that.

Rather than us having to play detective on here about motive and meaning of shows during the summer, it might fuel some good conversation if we're armed with the "facts". :)

Here's a similar idea.

Tom Blair stated in that article that he and his team are watching shows all summer, learning what to film when the time comes. Tom 's team could do podcasts talking about what to look for with each show. If anybody's gonna know that's not actually on the design team, it'll be Tom Blair Productions, Inc!

access to all corps media instead of the D1 top 12 would be nice

hi cam on 13-24... the footage is there... it shouldnt require much editing... heck, i think it should be part of the bundle since its already 150, but id pay a few extra for that.