Shows that just, for some reason, you can't make yourself like

Have you ever noticed those shows that seem to be immensely popular, yet no matter how many times you watch them, you just don't understand what's so great about them?

My primary example would be Cavaliers 2000. I love the last minute of drill, but the music just totally doesn't do it for me. I guess it's because I'm still ###### that my favorite show in the world, Cadets 2000, wasn't the single champion, and I thought that the Cavaliers show was nowhere near on the same level.

How about you?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My primary example would be Cavaliers 2000. I love the last minute of drill, but the music just totally doesn't do it for me. I guess it's because I'm still ###### that my favorite show in the world, Cadets 2000, wasn't the single champion, and I thought that the Cavaliers show was nowhere near on the same level.

I feel the exact opposite. Cavies 2000 was such a bad### intense show, when I see the sappy smilefest of Cadets 2000, I just can't stand it. :)

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

oh boy....i can see this topic getting ugly fast. let me predict the future: many people are going to be arguing about Cadets and somewhere amps and singing is going to get brought up.

anyways, i'll take a shot in giving some shows that are popular that I cant get into:

Star 93

BD 04 (great opening 5 minutes, then it all goes south for me after that)

Crown 05 (yeah they sounded good the first 1:30, but I feel they lost all steam after that)

Cadets 98

I feel the exact opposite. Cavies 2000 was such a bad### intense show, when I see the sappy smilefest of Cadets 2000, I just can't stand it. :)

Haha, it's hilarious that every one of your signatures professes how conservative you are. :laugh:

Now, all of these, I DO understand what's 'so great' about them at least in terms of energy or performance or what not...but I still don't like them all that much compared to what seems to be the mass opinion...

Cadets 83 -- I like Rocky Point (and its tag at the end) and the ballad...but it's really dry to me otherwise. I do get a smile though at the crowd responses...

Scouts 95 -- That's right! I love the show's energy, and I like Malaga, and the ballad...perhaps it's just too...LOUD ALL THE TIME for my tastes, plus the crappy audio from that year just has pit and screaming girls ringing in your ears the whole time. This is among my least-played and viewed Scouts shows probably.

Cavies 02 -- I get it, and do see how incredibly well-performed it was, great sound...I just roll my eyes at the Fight Club dancing, and how (to my untrained ear) how relatively simple the brass arrangement was (probably not true I know, but it's just my impression), and part of it really is just a jealousy thing...at how they really found their click and such an incredible mass following...I remember sitting in the stands in Madison watching all the flag waving and cheering and saying (unfairly) to myself 'Funny, where did all these Cavies fans emerge from?'. Not a fair assessment I know, I just like the Cavies of old and think the 'new generation' Cavies got it right the first time, in 2000 (though some may argue that was their last 'old generation' show...

Blue Devils 2003-2004 -- I haven't given either of these shows much of chance, but I've seen/heard them a few times and they just strike me as 'same ol same ol' from them, loud choppy jazzy parts, a guard that can toss and dance like nobody else but is never my cup of tea...it's just not my thing, and BD's generally not been 'my thing' since probably pre-96.

Cavies 2006 -- At least at this point, I only saw it finals night and on ESPN. It got some smiles out of me, but like the Fight Club dancing in 02, the incessant robot move thing got on my nerves and I find the brass book totally uninteresting.

both these shows were very cool in their own respective ways. I feel the Cadets had more 'aw' inspiring moments that sent emotional goosebumps through the body...where as the Cavaliers had more 'oh yeah' moments that kinda made you put that whoa face on and say "oh snap". lol Now its just basic personal taste which type of show you can get more into...I personally like both of them the same but for different reasons. I felt the tie was pretty well desrved...((and runs away before the snipers come out)) :laugh: