Why so many Bells?

OK, Why are there so many bells, xylophones(sp) or whatever in todays corps? Especially when most are amped. To me they are just too much, perhaps some think it is the Contras that are too large. I don't know, any ideas? What sections do you think are too much vs others? Obviously it may change from corps to corps. Just a thought. :blink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean Marimbas and Vibes?

because they're needed.

~>conner

Check out some shows when there were a lot less bells. Or better yet listen to some pre-pit years when the most any corps marched was four. If you get too used to that, then the sound generated today would seem too much.

s/ Guy who marched two years without any bells.

Edit: Better yet, what is the purpose of the large number used today?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Why not one of each keyboard and crank the amp?

Ok, why not amp one snare drummer and crank it really loud? or one of each brass section and crank it really loud?

The front ensemble is a scored part of the corps. They are scored on many things, including whether or not the ensemble is together, whether or not they are producing a well blended balanced sound, and tone production.

Believe it or not, there is alot more to it than just "hittin the thing."

The only reason for amplifying the pit, was so the percussionists didn't have to play with huge loud mallets, and could perform with more musicality and dynamic dexterity.

Check out some shows when there were a lot less bells. Or better yet listen to some pre-pit years when the most any corps marched was four. If you get too used to that, then the sound generated today would seem too much.

Perhaps, but if you get used to the sound generated today, then the shows without pits would seem like they were missing something.

Edit: Better yet, what is the purpose of the large number used today?

An answerless question, if you ask me. What is the purpose of having so many drummers, or horns, or guard? Better yet, what is the purpose of drum corps?

Do you mean Marimbas and Vibes?

Yes I do mean that also. :P

Ok, why not amp one snare drummer and crank it really loud? or one of each brass section and crank it really loud?

The front ensemble is a scored part of the corps. They are scored on many things, including whether or not the ensemble is together, whether or not they are producing a well blended balanced sound, and tone production.

Believe it or not, there is alot more to it than just "hittin the thing."

The only reason for amplifying the pit, was so the percussionists didn't have to play with huge loud mallets, and could perform with more musicality and dynamic dexterity.

Hey I love them, I am amazed at how they can play what they do. But they do not amp the snares. But this not about amping really. I just metioned it because they do it. But when the corps turns backfield lets say, they just overwhelm me with volume. They seem to be the one instrument you can pinpoint no matter the portion of the show. They seem to have less dynamics than the rest. They are either not playing, or they are making my ears ring. I think that the Balance is lost with so many of them SOMETIMES.