Why so many Bells?

Perhaps, but if you get used to the sound generated today, then the shows without pits would seem like they were missing something.

An answerless question, if you ask me. What is the purpose of having so many drummers, or horns, or guard? Better yet, what is the purpose of drum corps?

Well, many different horn types and tones, same with drums including Tymps. Guard? I am not a guard person, but I love them. Flags, rifles, sabres,etc. But the bells( excuse me for saying bells, but that is what I called them.) Most seem to have te same range and play the same music. I said seem. Not all. It is just that I do not see a big difference in the ensemble that justifies the number. But please, educate me, I am not a percussionist. (did I spell that correctly?) :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, many different horn types and tones, same with drums including Tymps. Guard? I am not a guard person, but I love them. Flags, rifles, sabres,etc. But the bells( excuse me for saying bells, but that is what I called them.) Most seem to have te same range and play the same music. I said seem. Not all. It is just that I do not see a big difference in the ensemble that justifies the number. But please, educate me, I am not a percussionist. (did I spell that correctly?) :)

Saying orchestra bells and vibes are in the same range is kind of like saying that a mellophone and contra are in the same range.

Saying orchestra bells and vibes are in the same range is kind of like saying that a mellophone and contra are in the same range.

That is true. Good point. So what amount do most top corps use and what of them do they use?

That is true. Good point. So what amount do most top corps use and what of them do they use?

General Div 1 pit:

4 Marimbas

4 Vibes

1 xylo/bells

1 Timpani

2 General Percussion

Perhaps, but if you get used to the sound generated today, then the shows without pits would seem like they were missing something.

Heh, didn't take long for someone to figure that one out and throw it back at me. :P

An answerless question, if you ask me. What is the purpose of having so many drummers, or horns, or guard? Better yet, what is the purpose of drum corps?

Let me rephrase the question because I was being serious. Of the corps carrying 8 or more "bells" are the "bells" all different sizes? If some are the same then do the players play the same notes or different ones? Asking because I have no idea and no one to ask. I'll wait for more info before I go further.

Biggest problem I have with bigger pits is the expense of the equipment. And speaking from a horn players stand point IMO (repeat IMO) going from 4 to 8 bells doesn't add that much to the show except more volume.

PS - More horn players means more you can do with the drill. At least that's what a drill writer/instructor told me one time. :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

General Div 1 pit:

4 Marimbas

4 Vibes

1 xylo/bells

1 Timpani

2 General Percussion

By the number you mean players? So 4 vibes player with four vibes and four Marimbas with 4 players? And one Xylo with one player? Total of 9 in the bell family on 3 different bell instruments? And out of the 9 how many different parts do they play? And of those, how many pitches, bass, treble, alto? This is interesting to us brass that do not know.

By the number you mean players? So 4 vibes player with four vibes and four Marimbas with 4 players? And one Xylo with one player? Total of 9 in the bell family on 3 different bell instruments? And out of the 9 how many different parts do they play? And of those, how many pitches, bass, treble, alto? This is interesting to us brass that do not know.

Actually, could we get a good photo of a standard DCI pit on here? That would be a great way to determine a sample of what instruments are in the pit.

More instruments in the pit give the arrangers added flexibility. If you've got one marimba, one vibe, and one xylo, you'd be limited on the harmonies you could write.

Check out a good pit in the parking lot some time. It's often easy to lose what's happening musically with them on the field, but up close you can appreciate what they're doing, as well as the strength of the arrangement.

More instruments in the pit give the arrangers added flexibility. If you've got one marimba, one vibe, and one xylo, you'd be limited on the harmonies you could write.

Check out a good pit in the parking lot some time. It's often easy to lose what's happening musically with them on the field, but up close you can appreciate what they're doing, as well as the strength of the arrangement.

So you think it loses it on the field then?

So you think it loses it on the field then?

Not really. I think most people "feel" the depth of the orchestration from the stands, whether they consciously recognize it or not. I do think it's easy to lose sight of what the pits are doing when the rest of the corps is running around on the field, though.

I guess I just feel that you can really gain a heightened appreciation of what they do when you watch them in the lot.