Best looking drums used by a corps

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I believe ya because I don't know, their website for JiWi is still up and running. Any information about this new alliance and such? I have been out of the JiWi loop for a few years and missed something big apparently.

Well, I contacted them a while back about refinishing an old Ludwig Challenger I have and they told me about the change. The same people are doing the work so the end result should be just as great.

It was a long, hard process, so don't look at it like "I can do that" without expecting to spend a lot of time... I'm actually planning on putting the extended process in a book, but here's the short answer:

First, disassemble (and clean) all the hardware. Get to the shell.

Second, remove the plastic. Dremel is your friend.

Third, lightly sand the shell, removing any leftover shell plastic. Don't ruin the plastic; you can use it as a template or at least good measurements. Also note where the cover sits on the shell, and what not to cover.

Fourth, purchase vertical laminate you like, and get it cut to match the drum rectangles. You may want to have that cut professionally to spec; it's labor intensive.

Fifth, pro grade laminate cement. Depending on the thickness of the laminate, be prepared to make it a little longer than the thin plastic layer.

Sixth, since tenors are rounded, you'll have excess around the front. Use a countertop laminate router on the outside.

Seventh, and not pictured since it hadn't arrived, add rubber runner for the tenors. Vertical laminate can chip.

I wouldn't think of doing it for our Pearl drums, but I have some old Ludwigs. Also, I wanted everyone (myself included) to appreciate all the very hard work you put into this.

Way Cool!!!

I used vertical from WilsonArt, and special ordered it. It comes in sheets of 4 by 6 feet. Again, be prepared to cut laminate, or have it done to spec.

You can also find companies that will do the plastic that you'll find covering pearl drums. Just be aware that there aren't custom choices like this stuff. It may be immensely easier, however.

I can't believe nobody has brought up VK! While the best-known VK drums are probably the neon yellow from '92, see if you can dig up a picture of 1993's multicolored sparkle look. Really pretty. ^_^

Here you go - Nice drums!

Southwind4.jpg

"SHARKOS!! EVERYBODY OUT OF THE WATER!!!"

These drums would look great... if the weren't Ludwigs <vomits on shoes>, that huge block of plastic at 11 O'Clock really pulls the drum together... <**>

Though don't get it twisted, I love the old school black oyster wrap! :doh:

Blue Devils 2001, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06.

Cavies, 02, 06, 05, 04. 01.

Cadets, 05, 06.

Madison, 03, 04, 05, 06.

Also Phantom and SCV 05' with the carbonply.

Blue Devils B 06.

Pacific Crest, 06.

Edited by Mitch71