cadets show fiasco 06

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was there, and I certainly didn't have any problem with the Cadets winning. Musically, I actually thought the Cadets were pretty much on fire for that point in the season. How much is one ensemble tear (as bad as it may have been ... like I said, I didn't even notice it ... I just thought the drum feature was sloppy, which is pretty good for me as I know virtually nothing about percussion) going to affect your placement if the rest of your show is (on average) noticeably superior to your competition?

it should also be reflected in ensemble music, as that sheets covers percussion and brass...and if front percussion and field percussion weren't together, according to the blog, it should be noticeable no matter what read it is. in fact, in his blog, he states amazement no one else touched it

Okay. So some people that were at the show didn't notice a tear they just thought that 30 seconds of the show was unbelievably dirty drumming. Should that not negatively affect the Ensemble Music sheet? (which they won that night).

and GE...it's obviously supposed to be a "moment"...yet it clearly, in Hop's own words, didn't deliver

Okay. So some people that were at the show didn't notice a tear they just thought that 30 seconds of the show was unbelievably dirty drumming. Should that not negatively affect the Ensemble Music sheet? (which they won that night).

Sure it should. But, like I said, what if the judge did notice the problem but thought that the rest of their show was considerably superior to PR and Crown?

it should also be reflected in ensemble music, as that sheets covers percussion and brass

Ummmmm ... yeah. Did I say otherwise? :laugh:

Edited by Orpheus

You are right, I wasn't there, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can sit through a 1 minute tear that had Hoppy wanting to stop the show and not notice it was more than just dirty. Just MHO - I wasn't there.

Sometimes the people intimately familiar with a show will see and hear things that others will miss, including judges. Happens all the time.

The Cadets won brass at that show...and were first in ensemble by 0.2.

The next show Regiment won brass...and The Cadets were still first in ensemble by 0.2.

It is possible that the adverse percussion performance at the first show may have played a role in keeping the ensemble spread to 0.2 points, as at the very next show a Regiment brass edge did not jump them higher in ensemble. The Cadets percussion score at WV was only 0.2 over JSU, while at the next show it was 1.1 over them.

It all just shows it's impossible to make wide-ranging statements about this or that due to one moment in a show.

A judge's first job is to rank and rate the groups as they believe they should be...based on the totality of the performance.

. The Cadets percussion score at WV was only 0.2 over JSU, while at the next show it was 1.1 over them.

OT ... but please, for the love of all that's holy ... don't refer to Spirit as "JSU." They're affiliated with JSU, but the corps' name is still "Spirit."

Sometimes the people intimately familiar with a show will see and hear things that others will miss, including judges. Happens all the time.

For real. How many of us have had the experience of going over to the busses after a performance and saying to a marching member we know, "Man, you guys were great. I loved it!" And then our friend replies, "Aw, geez, man ... we sucked tonight ..." B)