Who's left in G?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who bashed the Renegades??? that's not what Chris' post did at all.

er.......maybe because we've got way too many loudmouths on here??

Did you read all of Chris's post dude? Cause I didn't feel he bashed us at all.

er.......maybe because we've got way too many loudmouths on here??

Did you read all of Chris's post dude? Cause I didn't feel he bashed us at all.

Yes, I read the entire post, and we were the only corps that was singled out regarding our use of G bugles.

I'm not here to talk placement or numbers from previous seasons. If one wishes to make judgments about our corps based on 2006, so be it. It wasn't our best corps. However, Chris implies in his post that we don't play with balance, blend, or intonation. This is entirely untrue.

I will hold our 2005 corps as being the best corps that the Renegades ever put on the field. Yes, there were minor performance issues that night, but it was a consistent show that was performed to a very high standard. I will also say that no other hornline was as in tune as we were that night, and our intonation was incredible. I defy anyone to listen to recordings from that night and tell me otherwise. 2003 was a pretty good hornline, too.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to them, but I don't believe that the assessment Chris gave us reflects what we have brought to the field.

Here's a list of what we know so far...

DCA Corps using G brass

Empire Statesmen

Brigadiers

Renegades

Corpsvets

Kilties (BBb contras)

Skyliners

White Sabers

Sunrisers

Music City Legend

Heat Wave

Frontier

Gulf Coast Sound

Shenandoah Sound

So Cal Dream

Jackson Generals

River City Regiment (BBb contras)

World Gone Mad

Grenadiers

DCA Corps using Bb/F brass

Caballeros

Bushwackers

Minnesota Brass

Buccaneers

Hurricanes

Alliance

Austin Stars

Govenaires

Chops Inc.

Crusaders

When I saw my first drum corps show back in the early 80's all I know is I was blown away and I didn't care whether the horns were in the key of G, Bb, X, Y or Z. I just knew it was awesome and I wanted to do it.

Once again.. the Kilties are on GG contras.. not BBb tubas.. for at least this season and the 4 before it.

This debate has been going on for several years, and it certainly makes for interesting reading. Some great points have been made in this thread, and several others! One thing is certain...We drum corps people are very PASSIONATE, and INTENSE about one of the things that we love most about this world!!! But, then again, I believe that we approach EVERYTHING that we do in life, with the same PASSION, and INTENSITY!

I think that Chris made the best suggestion...

"Let's end this debate."

It's a case of "East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet"

Everyone has their own opinion, and is entitled to it.

I have been observing this issue as an instructor, marching member, musician, and DCP-er, for the last few years. Personally, I like the sound of the "G" horns. Contrary to what someone mentioned earlier, I believe there is a clear, discernible difference in sound, between G's and Bb's. I like the "traditional" sound that the "G" horns offer. That is the sound that I most like to hear in a drum and bugle corps.

But that is just MY preference, and opinion.

Many might agree, and many will disagree.

But, guys...

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG CHOICE!

Would I like to use the G horns with my big band, or on other gigs? No. My instrument of choice is a Bb trumpet for those venues. Again, this is MY preference, and opinion.

The bottom line is that "things, they-are-a-changin'"...whether we like it or not. (some do, some don't) People and corps have been making these decisions based on THEIR preferences, and opinions.

All I can say is...Live with it. The world keeps turning, and you now have a choice...

Choose what's best for you. It's that simple.

By the way...I've been to the last three DCA Finals, and EVERYONE was truly spectacular!

Thanks to ALL that participated toward making the shows simply amazing, and very enjoyable!

Good luck to everyone in 2007!

May you all enjoy a very happy, and healthy year with your respective corps!

Yours in drum corps spirit,

Jim Jordan

Why do so many threads, including this one, degenerate into Renegades bashing? I just don't get it...

<**>

It must be your turn on the "round robin" bashing tour!! You may have not gotten the memo. No corps is exempt, no favortism is allowed........everyone has to take their turn, that's the American way. :)

Edited by bill

I say, blame whoever allowed multi-key in the first place. Not because I have a problem with it, but because had that can of worms never been opened...