DCI Rule Proposals are up

Also, nowhere in the MLB rulebook does it say you HAVE to wear cleated shoes. Nowhere in the Formula One rulebook does it say you HAVE use an onboard computer. Nowhere in the DCI rulebook does it say you HAVE to use amps, but it sure would be silly not to when everyone else is.

And no one had to ground the Tymps and bells in a pit when that started either.

How long has it been since "da Pit" :P has been on the judging sheets?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness, if you want to talk up DCA and berate everything DCI in every post, why not just include it in your signature, and save the time. You hate the rules proposals and everything about DCI in general. No need to say it more than once in a thread. :doh:

That's fair, please say the same to MikD every time he talks up woodwinds, amps, saxaphones, 300 marching members and moog synthesizers. :P

Goodness, if you want to talk up DCA and berate everything DCI in every post, why not just include it in your signature, and save the time. You hate the rules proposals and everything about DCI in general. No need to say it more than once in a thread. :doh:

Another problem with that line of thinking is that DCA is DCI, only a few years behind. As much as we like to apply differences to the circuits, success (if you define it as competitive placement) in DCA now is based on units aping DCI.

Bb is there already...amplification is coming within the next five to ten years, I'll wager.

Another problem with that line of thinking is that DCA is DCI, only a few years behind. As much as we like to apply differences to the circuits, success (if you define it as competitive placement) in DCA now is based on units aping DCI.

Bb is there already...amplification is coming within the next five to ten years, I'll wager.

Yet DCA in it's current format is gaining in corps numbers, where a marked decline in corps has been an ongoing feature of DCI. If DCA is smart they will avoid changes that could drive away their fan base which is very different from DCI's. So I'm hoping your prediction is wrong..... (do we have a fingers-crossed smiley?)

That's fair, please say the same to MikD every time he talks up woodwinds, amps, saxaphones, 300 marching members and moog synthesizers. :P

Hmmm...he says those things in threads that talk are about those subjects, so no, I don't think I will. :doh:

One difference between DCA and DCI is more of DCAs growth is in smaller corps with not so deep pockets. Hoping this keeps DCA from going for the expensive changes.

Hmmm...he says those things in threads that talk are about those subjects, so no, I don't think I will. :doh:

I was talking about rule changes and how I don't like them - on topic.

I said what it means to me and how I will react - on topic.

I said it again in a different way - on topic.

so - nyaaah! :doh:

Actually I think DCI will continue, but the fan base will be more band kids and less old farts, and a decimated div 2-3. At that point maybe they will change the name to "Summer Band International" - it would be more honest.

And the funny thing is, I don't think people would really mind the name change that much. I wouldn't. It's just a name.

It doesn't change my experience in the activity in the slightest.

Some of you older folks make me afraid of growing up and becoming amazingly stubborn.

Yet DCA in it's current format is gaining in corps numbers, where a marked decline in corps has been an ongoing feature of DCI. If DCA is smart they will avoid changes that could drive away their fan base which is very different from DCI's. So I'm hoping your prediction is wrong..... (do we have a fingers-crossed smiley?)

One reason for that is the more local nature of DCA units...starting small in corps-starved areas. In effect, the newer DCA circuits are taking the community approach that most of DCI has walked away from in recruitment and running with it.

I agree entirely...DCA fans are of a different mind than DCI ones. However, as much as DCA is "drum corps for the people", it's also designer driven and somewhat insular in its "who knows best" approach, just like DCI. There isn't a magnetic personality on the scale of a Hopkins, Gibbs or Fiedler that's pushing for amplification...but it's still already snuck into preliminary votes in DCA, if I remember correctly.

Corps like Empire and Renegades lead me to believe old-school still has somewhat of a place there. Here's hoping. :)

And the funny thing is, I don't think people would really mind the name change that much. I wouldn't. It's just a name.

It doesn't change my experience in the activity in the slightest.

Some of you older folks make me afraid of growing up and becoming amazingly stubborn.

If anything, it's more representative of what the actvity is now. It's easier to explain what marching band is than to try to present the case and definition for "drum corps" nowadays.

Besides, getting older doesn't mean becoming stubborn...its more about learning where your priorties are. Hell, if DCI allowed woodwinds, electronics and circus clowns in tomorrow, I'd be let down...but in the scheme of things, for most of us now, it's just a hobby....no more than following a sports team fanatically. It's not gonna make the world stop if "X" is legal.

I got through the Panthers going 1-15 and UNC's basketball team going 8-20, after all. :P