DCI Rule Proposals are up

Rules Proposals have been moved to their own forum located here:

Rules Proposals - 2007 Season

Thanks.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Div II/III admins are perfectly free to make proposals. If they want things to be passed that are in their interest, they can bring them to the table....or they can implement them as part of the II/III committee process, as was done to delay multi-key back in 2000.

How are these rules 'greedy', BTW???

That's an interesting point.

There are people who visit message board forums like this one.. people who are often volunteers and even financial donors.. and in some cases, I think there's a little "pie in the sky" attitude about how kids are.

Kids who are inclined to join a Division I corps are inclined to join a Division I corps. It's neither the fault of DCI nor the corps themselves that those kids who get cut then decide to take the summer off. I know for a fact that LOTS of Division I corps recommend kids get a little experience "under their belts" at a DII or III corps.. but once they give the recommendation, they have no further control over what that kid decides to do.

As it stands, something close to 7500 kids auditioned for Division I corps last year (I think that's the number I was quoted).. and something along the lines of only about 3500 actually got spots.

Most of the DI corps out there are already hauling at least one half-empty bus around -- or jamming kids onto staff or volunteer busses.. upping the number will fill the empty seats they couldn't justify on another bus they would normally need.. and POOF.. another 15 kids (that's right folks.. just 15 more kids than they can have right now.. can potentially march with their dream corps... and actually HAVE the drum corps experience rather than choosing to go home and do nothing with their summer as an alternative.

Fact is, that's exactly what happens with the majority of auditioners. They do NOT automatically go to DII/III. Should they? Maybe. I'd love to see it happen.. but it's not the fault of DCI or DI that they do not.

Kids want what they want. They don't like to "settle" and would often rather do without.

Stef

That does not translate into you MUST have them to do well. You can play pedantic games with me, so I will do the same with you.

Just quoting you because it was the first one I picked out; lots of other people have been making the same point in this thread.

Doesn't anyone remember Madison '01? It wasn't very long ago. When DCI incorporates a rule change, an agenda is put in place, and corps who ignore or challenge it find themselves in a very inconvenient position, especially when it comes to scoring. You can't tell me that as this new decade began and Madison was clearly establishing themselves as a corps reluctant and unwilling to change with the times, that Drum Corps International was completely fine with it and judged them exactly as they would with other corps.

If that example doesn't work for you, I'll throw two more out there.

SCV '92

Phantom '92 (told by judges early season, in condensed terms, that the 'retro' show wasn't going to do well all year and they had might as well not get their hopes up for placing high.)

Think about it.

Honestly, it sort of bothers me that the only directors making rule change proposals are George Hopkins and Jeff Fiedler. Unfortunate that the course of DCI is dictated by only the most consistantly successful corps from a scoring perspective. It's almost exactly why non-perennial top 3 corps find themselves forced to adapt to stay competitive. Hopefully it doesn't get too extensive where it becomes like the current state of corporations and businesses in America, where its as simple as those who can and will spend the most money are those who will forever dominate the industry.....disbanding (no pun intended), consuming, and destroying all of the competitors in their path.

Personally, I'm aware and respectful of the artistic capabilities found in electronics, but I'm very much opposed to combining them with drum corps. Tradition and whatnot aside (me only having this opinion for the sake of maintaining tradition would very much go against my philosophical and political beliefs, to say the least), drum corps as it has been is simple a genre of music that I very much enjoy listening to as it is, and don't care to have these aforementioned tambres and colors implemented into their existance.

It's like.....think of a band you really like. Preferrably one with either a unique sound, or unique instrumentation. Now picture electric guitars and synths and keytars and organs being added in all of their songs on their latest CD, simply for the sake that "other artists use them, they sound good, and make for a lot of creative capability." It could "expend the band's horizons and give them a bunch broader range of sounds to use in their music." Is that necessarily a good thing? It COULD be, and it may work for other artists, but I appreciate drum corps for the unique sound quality it already has, and don't feel like there's any way I would like it more because other instruments and sound qualities were added to it.

I do like electric guitars. Apparently within my itunes, I have some music from an artist or two that includes electric guitars. I enjoy what they're capable of. That doesn't mean that I want it combined with the sound of a drum corps hornline though....it's a unique sound of its own that doesn't need any kind of electronic enhancement to convey emotions and entertain and move me. Take a lesson from SCV '91.....if you do what you can with what you have, the effects can be amazing and even more impressive than using something far more artificial.

Oh, and one last thing (I mean it this time).....I'm also of the mindset that before our supply of creative capabilities with our current instrumentation is exhausted, there's a LOT that can still be done with show design that's still very much untouched. I'm talking about the style of music that drum corps utilize.....there's countless themes and genres of music that I'm still waiting for drum corps to explore. Mainly referring to more modern music (though I don't think anyone has really done a full-out renaissance show before.....sit back down, Cadets '93, you most definitely don't count) here.

Can someone please do a Sufjan Stevens show already? The time is perfect. Thanks.

Edited by Jared_mello

Personally, I'm aware and respectful of the artistic capabilities found in electronics, but I'm very much opposed to combining them with drum corps. Tradition and whatnot aside (me only having this opinion for the sake of maintaining tradition would very much go against my philosophical and political beliefs, to say the least), drum corps as it has been is simple a genre of music that I very much enjoy listening to as it is, and don't care to have these aforementioned tambres and colors implemented into their existance.

It's like.....think of a band you really like. Preferrably one with either a unique sound, or unique instrumentation. Now picture electric guitars and synths and keytars and organs being added in all of their songs on their latest CD, simply for the sake that "other artists use them, they sound good, and make for a lot of creative capability." It could "expend the band's horizons and give them a bunch broader range of sounds to use in their music." Is that necessarily a good thing? It COULD be, and it may work for other artists, but I appreciate drum corps for the unique sound quality it already has, and don't feel like there's any way I would like it more because other instruments and sound qualities were added to it.

I do like electric guitars. Apparently within my itunes, I have some music from an artist or two that includes electric guitars. I enjoy what they're capable of. That doesn't mean that I want it combined with the sound of a drum corps hornline though....it's a unique sound of its own that doesn't need any kind of electronic enhancement to convey emotions and entertain and move me. Take a lesson from SCV '91.....if you do what you can with what you have, the effects can be amazing and even more impressive than using something far more artificial.

Bravo Jared, Bravo! :doh:

w/Stp: <----- with the stupid part very much not applying

I expressed concerns for ever rising financial costs and stated what is not a burden for your corps may be the breaking point for another and to think of the whole jr. activity.

By the way, love your pictures of Ryan. He gets cuter every picture. :) He must be a joy.

Thank you very much! :doh: He is a joy and growing so fast!

I would like to take him to a show this summer some time, he really enjoys music of all kinds. But I fear what the latest proposals may do and then it will just make me mad and stay away again this summer. I hope not...

I really hope they step back and see that what they're doing to the activity and that it is pushing people away.

Some here may not want to admit, but it is. Obviously there is some concern or they wouldn't put a feedback form up.

Honestly, it sort of bothers me that the only directors making rule change proposals are George Hopkins and Jeff Fiedler. Unfortunate that the course of DCI is dictated by only the most consistantly successful corps from a scoring perspective.

I know it still proves your point, but doesn't Dave Gibbs has a proposal or two up there this time, too?

It surprises me that more non-directors aren't making proposals (the sole exceptions this time are the scoring sheet proposals by George Olivierio).. or that more non-perennial top three corps directors and non-division I directors aren't.

Where are those guys?

Stef